PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Pull the Trigger on a New SAA

birch
12-11-2015, 11:30 PM
I just watched a good western and got out my Colt SAA. Mine is third generation with removable bushing and spare acp cylinder. I bought this through the second owner and neither could pull the trigger. I didn't have the gun for 10 minutes and I had 5-45 acp and 5-45 colt in a snow bank. It was a truly great feeling being the first to fire a gun like this. I have had a few copies over the years, but none of them were as accurate and none had the feel of the real deal SAA.

I was just wondering if any cast members had the opportunity to fire a new one, and if fired, regret the decision to do so. Any accuracy and overall feel opinions would be appreciated as well.

Deep Six
12-11-2015, 11:36 PM
I just wish I could find one. I don't think I've ever run across a new one for sale in last several years of looking.

Vulcan Bob
12-11-2015, 11:52 PM
When I retired I bought myself two new 3rd gen Colt SAA's. One a 4/58th" black powder frame and one a 71/2" cross latch both blued and in .45 Colt. Shot the snot outa both of em and with their oversize throats I use .454" diameter boolits with good results. Surprisingly enough both shoot pretty much to point of aim with 250gr boolits around 850 fps. Got a kick out of the tag in the box that warned that if I shot the guns I would reduce their value!

birch
12-12-2015, 12:09 AM
I got a kick out of that warning too! The guy I got mine from sold me a old model ruger vaquero first. That vaquero got me into reloading and taught me the ins and outs of bore and throat size to craft some near perfect colt ammo. I ended up trading the vaquero and a bunch of money back to him for the colt. I can't fault Ruger for the finely crafted vaquero, but I thank the man upstairs for Sam Colt.
If I were to find a never fired 1st or 2nd gen SAA, I might wrestle with letting one fly, but in the end, I know I would give into the temptation.

Ithaca Gunner
12-12-2015, 12:46 AM
I've only owned one third generation SAA, a 7.5" blue .44spl. It did very well, but I had a first generation 5.5" .45 Colt that shot much better and another first generation 7.5" .44WCF that didn't shoot as well.

rintinglen
12-12-2015, 07:23 AM
The only Colt I've ever owned was a 3rd generation 44 Special. I traded a nice S&W boxed 3.5 inch M-27 and some cash for one in 1977 or 78. Although gorgeous to look at, it was very much a "bleah" shooter. I was as good as I have ever been back then, but the best I could manage was 3 inch 25 yard groups, and more common were the "4 in 2 and a flyer out yonder." Somebody else wanted it more than me, so it went down the road after a few months and paid for my S&W PPC gun, IIRC. I have never had an urge to own one since. I do wish I had kept the M-27 instead.

bedbugbilly
12-12-2015, 10:16 AM
The only "true colt" that I have shot (SAA) was a 1st generation 44-40 and that was probably over 50 years ago now - the guy who taught me how to shoot SA had one - that was a real thrill for a kid and the pistol had obviously been "used". Over the years, life got in the way and I never really had the opportunity to buy one A year of so ago, I ran across a nice 3rd generation 45 Colt and I "almost pulled the trigger" on it but then didn't. At my age, I just couldn't justify the expense of it and we don't have kids that I could have left it to. Instead, I got a Uberti 7 1/2" Cattleman in 4 Colt and that took care of the "urge". :-) Its a good shooter and I love it but there is just something about a "real' Colt SAA. You guys that have 'em . shoot 'em and enjoy 'em that's what they were ade for!

9.3X62AL
12-12-2015, 12:15 PM
A 1906 Colt Bisley x 4-3/4" in 32/20 was the first handgun I ever fired, and like a baby bird that thinks the first moving thing it sees is its parent--it sorta put a "patterning" on me. It now resides in my safe, and gets shot several times a year. LOTS of Rugers and a couple Uberti clones later, I still love the old contraptions. Given that I buy them to be shot and not to be looked at and left unturned, I won't buy new Colts.......and the prices for the few used ones I see are stratospheric. They are like Lugers, or dating debutantes--overpriced, fussy, can't cook, and put on airs that irritate me.

vzerone
12-12-2015, 12:27 PM
I agree there is nothing like a real Colt SAA. I favor the shorter barrel persuasion of 4 3/4 inches. I believe them to have beautiful lines and only other revolver that I think comes close to those lines is the 1860 Colt.

EDK
12-12-2015, 12:46 PM
I bought a 44 Special 7.5 inch NEW FRONTIER for $700, in 1995. I was going to have an 1860 Army grip frame and backstrap fitted plus ivories and engraving. There was a considerable amount of cylinder end shake and I never fired it or had it corrected. My brother wanted it as a base gun for a tight 45 Colt, so it went with him to Idaho. He kept it a year and said he sold/traded it to John Taffin.
I've had some Ruger VAQUEROS in 357 and 44 tuned up by Jim Stroh of ALPHA PRECISION. The cosmetics on the Colt were outstanding, but you can't shoot pretty. I like to run 48 rounds per day with two guns for Cowboy Action Shooting practice.

Uncle R.
12-12-2015, 12:52 PM
I agree there is nothing like a real Colt SAA. I favor the shorter barrel persuasion of 4 3/4 inches. I believe them to have beautiful lines and only other revolver that I think comes close to those lines is the 1860 Colt.

I won't claim that none of the clones out there are as good as a real Colt.
I frankly doubt that it's true. There are some very nice single action revolvers being made today. Strong, accurate, reliable.
That said, I DO agree about the beautiful lines of the Colt single actions.
There's something about a SAA, the feel, the balance are just right. I prefer the 5-1/2" barrel over anything shorter with the 7-1/2" a close second.
Right behind the SAA is the 1860 Army, running neck-and-neck with the 61 Navy. They are all nearly perfect, and what a single action should be.
I surely do love the pony.
If I were a rich man, I'd have a whole dang stable full of 'em.
:smile:

Uncle R.

Silver Jack Hammer
12-12-2015, 01:02 PM
I have pulled the trigger on many new Colt SAA's. The first thing I bought when I started working and earning pay checks was a Colt 4 3/4" SAA. Couldn't afford to shoot it and ate beans for a month but that was just the first month. That Colt is still in the stable and has been shot and carried a lot for over 30 years. Another new Colt SAA is en route to me as we speak making this addition to the herd number 8. All my Colts SAA's are 3rd Gen's, all are shot a lot. I don't own a boat, don't race cars, quite flying and am able to provide for my family so Colt SAA's are my sporting pass time that I enjoy with my friends. There's nothing like them. A couple friends have given me there new unfired Colt SAA's to tune before they fired them so I've been the first to fire lots of Colts. A buddy at work has a Colt SAA that does not ever want fired, I warned to not send it my way. I've loaded them hot, loaded them down light, shot 'em fast, shot 'em at long range. Accurate boolits can be cast for them, and cheap boolits can be cast for them with scrap alloy. The primer and powder shortages never prevented me from shooting. And I carry a Colt SAA regularly unless I'm going into a crowded place like a mall or a church in which case the hollow point boolit is really more applicable. In those environments I carry a slab-sided pistol but the Colt SAA is my first choice for daily carry. Even the books in my library are repeat with wonder books on the Colt SAA.