PDA

View Full Version : Firearms ownership, top 30 states

JSnover
12-11-2015, 09:48 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/most-heavily-armed-states-in-america/30/?ftag=ACQ449302a&vndid=1845235018&ttag=cbsn-fb-1038&nan_pid=1845235018
Pa is #11, tied with Maryland.
#2 shocked me: Washington DC.

petroid
12-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Wow what a gross underestimation. Maybe it's close to accurate in a few states that require all guns to be registered, but a lot of states don't require firearm registration, which is what this article is citing.

MT Gianni
12-11-2015, 10:03 PM
I would not be surprised to find most were registered to the federal gov't. There is a lot of crime in DC, though.
The goal of many in MT is to buy unregistered guns. We have no registration requirement and private party transactions require no registration. Like so many of them I wonder about the accuracy of any survey.

1845greyhounds
12-11-2015, 10:11 PM
Those numbers for the total number of "registered" guns don't seem even remotely close. Way too low.

JSnover
12-11-2015, 10:34 PM
Hard to say how accurate it is, I'm just kind of happy to see CBS wetting themselves over their stats.

MaryB
12-11-2015, 10:38 PM
Minnesota isn't even on the list and we have half a million deer hunters... plus pheasant, duck, small game, other large game, and target shooting that has become really popular with schools fielding trap teams and now some are forming precision rifle teams.

M-Tecs
12-11-2015, 10:38 PM
25 (tie). Montana

For every 1,000 residents in Montana, there are 11.3 guns. That's 11,461 registered firearms dispersed among 1,015,165 people.

Give me a flippen break.!!!!!!!! 60 or 70 percent is realistic. 1 percent is a joke and nothing more than the MSM trying to portray firearm ownership much lower than it actually is.

reddog81
12-11-2015, 10:48 PM
There's a staggering 10.2 guns for every 1,000 people in Florida, #30 in the list. LOL.
What a useless bunch of data. The only thing I don't understand is how is WY number 1. They don't require registration...

dragonrider
12-11-2015, 10:52 PM
Mass didn't even make the top 30................no surprise there I guess.

bubba.50
12-11-2015, 10:58 PM
hey, we made number 5 :redneck:! but, I too am skeptical of their number of 30 per thousand people. heck, in our heyday me & my uncle would have counted for several thousand people [smilie=l:.

M-Tecs
12-11-2015, 10:58 PM
There's a staggering 10.2 guns for every 1,000 people in Florida, #30 in the list. LOL.
What a useless bunch of data. The only thing I don't understand is how is WY number 1. They don't require registration...

Full auto, short barreled rifles and suppressors do. For class three the numbers may work.

dragon813gt
12-11-2015, 11:24 PM
REGISTERED

That's the key word in the article. The only reason PA is on there is because of the illegal handgun registry we have. NFA items are registered as well but the numbers pale in comparison to handguns.

The numbers are strikingly low. There are a lot more firearms than the article says. There would only be 105 firearms in the town I live in if you believed the article My family alone has that number beat. And my family is not the exception.

I want to know where the numbers for PA came from. We're told it's not a registry. But if the information came from the State Police the article is proof that it is.

Mk42gunner
12-11-2015, 11:44 PM
I didn't look at the whole list, it didn't want to open for me.

The first thing that jumped out as wrong to me was including Washington D.C. as a state. Last time I looked, it is a District, not a state.

Robert

therealhitman
12-11-2015, 11:57 PM
As America reels from yet another mass shooting, inevitable questions resurface about guns laws and the nation's pervasive firearm culture. Here is a look at the 30 states with the most guns per capita, according to the ATF's National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record, and 2013 data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

Not that I believed it, but I have been assured many times that the actual FFL transfer info was not to be archived by the Feds. We have no registration in Oregonifornia so where is the stat derived from? Background checks? It's all bogus and/or downright illegal. And obviously the numbers are amazingly low. Before the tragic loss of my firearms in a boating accident I had that per 1000 number just in 1911s!

reloader28
12-12-2015, 12:04 AM
If you buy a gun from a store here it has to be registered, but its not turned in. Otherwise no registration.
I dont believe I know a single person that dont have at least one in the house. Most of us carry one on our person, next to every house door, next to the bed and at least one in every vehicle. Me and my brother have 3 or 4 in our trucks depending on the time of year.
I'm not about to say how many I have total, though.

Ithaca Gunner
12-12-2015, 12:27 AM
I agree with all of the above, maybe CBS news is doing us a favor by grossly underestimating the number of firearms in the hands of the citizenry.

rush1886
12-12-2015, 08:40 AM
OTOH, if I were asked about my ownership, and CBS identified themselves, I've never owned a gun in my life. Guns kill people, you know.

myg30
12-12-2015, 08:50 AM
I only had 1 gun. I think I sold it 2 or three years ago !
Why do I have all that reloading, casting equipment, gun powder, piles of lead,reloading books,scales, projectiles, and buckets of brass ? Humm... I reload as a hobbie and others with guns shoot them !

Sound good ? I'm practicing !

Mike

brtelec
12-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Arizona is not even in the top 30? Last estimate I saw for Arizona was 5.6 million firearms for 6.4 million people. One article I read a few years ago said the estimate was approximately 110 firearms per 100 people in this country.

Now if liberals want to believe these numbers, far be it for me to correct them.

jmort
12-12-2015, 10:25 AM
The "article"/rankings make no sense generally. Everyone wants to think their state is #1. Registration/lack of registration, as noted, has skewed these numbers.

Freightman
12-12-2015, 11:45 AM
I don't have any REGESTERED guns they are evil.

Geezer in NH
12-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Bogus article as Wyoming has NO gun registration

Registration of Firearms in Wyoming - Gun Law Information ... (http://smartgunlaws.org/registration-of-firearms-in-wyoming/)smartgunlaws.org/registration-of-firearms-in-wyoming
Wyoming does not require the registration of firearms. ... Copyright 2015 Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. All Rights Reserved. Legal Disclaimer. Contact Us.

brtelec
12-12-2015, 12:29 PM
As I said earlier, the last thing I would ever do would be to correct their misconceptions.

nekshot
12-12-2015, 02:39 PM
Now you know why missouri is great!!!! They don't even know what we might have!!!

jmort
12-12-2015, 03:02 PM
"Now you know why Missouri is great!!!! They don't even know what we might have!!!"

​Exactly what I was thinking.

Harter66
12-12-2015, 08:12 PM
While I'm pleased to see Nv in the top 10 @ #8 only Clark County has .....had.... a registering requirement that has been prohibited by state law now . Wooton wood .... or something.

I too think the numbers are low by somewhat more than statistical error . That or the few people I have associated with in the last 20 yr own them all........

leadman
12-12-2015, 10:22 PM
They could be using numbers from the call in system to approve buyers of guns from FFL dealers. I think Wyoming may be high just because of all the oil field workers that came to the state and started making good money and were/are buying guns.
Sheriff Joe said we have about 250,000 people with CCW permits that can buy a gun from an FFL with no calling in the info to get it approved. The number of FTF transactions here is high also.

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2015, 09:38 AM
same with Michigan. Id bet at least in the upper peninsula that theres an average of at least one gun per household. Plus lots of militia action in the southern part of the state. I would have guessed the MI WI and MIN all would have made at least top 15 and then to get beat out by a liberal state like New Hampshire. Somethings defineatly wrong with there numbers.
Minnesota isn't even on the list and we have half a million deer hunters... plus pheasant, duck, small game, other large game, and target shooting that has become really popular with schools fielding trap teams and now some are forming precision rifle teams.

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2015, 09:39 AM
heck I live in Michigan and probably know where a couple thousand guns are located in Montana.
25 (tie). Montana

For every 1,000 residents in Montana, there are 11.3 guns. That's 11,461 registered firearms dispersed among 1,015,165 people.

Give me a flippen break.!!!!!!!! 60 or 70 percent is realistic. 1 percent is a joke and nothing more than the MSM trying to portray firearm ownership much lower than it actually is.

sundog
12-13-2015, 12:01 PM
This article has little/no value to anyone except a liberal. When I looked at the first slide and saw 'registered', I thought, "hmmm..." All those registered firearms in Wyoming? Really?

JWT
12-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Since I had a few minutes.

Wyoming

Wash DC

Arkansas

New Mexico

Virginia

Idaho

Alabama

Nevada

Alaska

Louisiana

Maryland

Pennsylvania

Georgia

New Hampshire

Indiana

Kentucky

Utah

Texas

Oklahoma

Colorado

South Carolina

South Dakota

Ohio

Oregon

Connecticut

Montana

Tennessee

North Carolina

Kansas

Florida

Aren't there over 5 million NRA members and didn't Ruger sell 1.2 million guns last year alone.

Harter66
12-13-2015, 07:29 PM
So half of the guns owned are Rugers made last year . Cool . No more brittle 03s and shot out soft Spanish Mausers or Rohms . I feel safer already . :bigsmyl2:

starreloader
12-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Glad to see that Delaware isn't on the list of the top "30"... The 5 people I shoot with must own all 165 non registered guns.

Thumbcocker
12-13-2015, 09:47 PM
This is strange. In Illinois, outside the big cities, the guns aren't registered. Gun owners have to have a current FOID card but AFIK no one keeps track of how many are possessed per individual. I don't know how they could if they wanted to. Out west there are much better laws so I can't see where these stats came from.

azrednek
12-14-2015, 12:56 AM
I tried to look but threw in the towel after numerous pop-ups and continually being directed to a survey of ABC News.

JWT
12-14-2015, 01:15 AM
I tried to look but threw in the towel after numerous pop-ups and continually being directed to a survey of ABC News.

I had the same problem. If you go into the address bar and look for /30/ you can change the 30 to 29, 28, ... 01 to let you see each page. The way the story is presented is just as messed up as the story itself.

Ola
12-14-2015, 01:54 AM
Well that was a funny list :) Oh, and it is named Most heavily-armed states in America
And it is a major news company CBS..

Just can't stop laughing..

F.e., Finland has 1 600 000 REGISTERED guns / 5,4 million people. And that is pretty average in Europe.. "Those gun-crazy Europeans...":D

MaryB
12-14-2015, 11:23 PM
Ad block plus and ghostery, no ads, no pop up garbage! Add them to Firefox!

I had the same problem. If you go into the address bar and look for /30/ you can change the 30 to 29, 28, ... 01 to let you see each page. The way the story is presented is just as messed up as the story itself.

David2011
12-15-2015, 01:03 AM
Out west there are much better laws so I can't see where these stats came from.

Thin air is hard to see. Obviously the numbers don't add up since the total number of guns owned in the US is supposed to be 230-250 million. Laughable that they talk about registered guns in states that don't have registration. Maybe, just maybe, they only got the numbers of NFA registered firearms in some states? That would freak them out if that were true.

David

mozeppa
12-15-2015, 08:17 AM
OMG!

THIS is a GUN forum?:shock:

waksupi
12-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Thin air is hard to see. Obviously the numbers don't add up since the total number of guns owned in the US is supposed to be 230-250 million. Laughable that they talk about registered guns in states that don't have registration. Maybe, just maybe, they only got the numbers of NFA registered firearms in some states? That would freak them out if that were true.

David

That is exactly where they got the numbers, from NFA firearms and weapons.

Lloyd Smale
12-15-2015, 10:03 AM
every time you buy a gun and get a nics check theres a record of your purchase. Michigan doesn't have registration per say either. When you buy a handgun they have what they "call" a safety inspection. The gun shop does it and sends the cards into the state. So even though a nics check isn't needed for someone that has a consealed hangun licience theres still a paper trail. Question for those who claims there state doesn't have registration. Can you walk into a gunshop and buy a gun and not have to sign a single paper? Bottom line is even if so your dealer has to follow federal laws and do the ffl paper work transfer and that leaves a paper trail for ANY new gun sold. Don't be so naïve as to think that the government doesn't have access to these records. Last time I looked the batf WAS the federal government.

dragon813gt
12-15-2015, 12:03 PM
The only "good thing" about the 4473 is that it physically stays w/ the FFL. They can destroy after so many years. But they have to turn their books in if they relinquish the FFL. The good thing about them physically holding the form is that the government has to spend time and money tracking it down. The trail can end quickly if your state allows FTF sales.

The states that have registration have a centralized database that's easily accessible. While I agree that there is always a paper trail, to a point. There is a big difference between registration and a 4473.

Lloyd Smale
12-15-2015, 01:11 PM
even in a face to face transfer your not totally safe. If you are the original buyer of the gun and its used in a crime there going to come knocking on your door and aren't going to be to happy if you cant tell them where your gun went. Especially if its found out of your state. Personaly I have no problem at all with them having a paper work trail of my guns. At least then they do know that I sold them legally and wasn't the one using it in a crime. Bottom line is I personally think its a real stretch to think that there going to come to your door in this country and demand your guns. They don't want a war with there citizens. They about know theres nothing that they can do about the guns already in circulation. If anything what you will see is it made much harder to buy more. I figure I have _____ guns. Plenty enough that it wouldn't put me out. Sure id like to buy more but I sure could live with what I have in guns and I eliminated my recreational shooting I have enough supplys to keep them all in ammo for the 20 years or so I have left. All this fear of gun control and if you look in the last 20 years gun owners have made gains in there rights if anything. I look at Michigan where I live and we got the right to carry concealed now and the right to own silencers both things you couldn't do years ago here. they recently changed the pistol registration (they call it a safety inspection) so that you no longer have to go to the sherrifs dept and have them inspect it and log it. Now the gunshop can do it right there when you buy it. Use to be you first had to go to the sherrifs dept and get the form. Then fill it out and have it notorized and then return it and the gun to there office. That's all gone now. I kind of chuckle at the democrats and there gun control bs. They are doing nothing but shooting themselves in the foot crying about it to a country that loves its guns. I say let them destroy themselves.

smoked turkey
12-15-2015, 01:53 PM
My son is a LEO and very very pro second amendment. He has no problem with citizens he stops owning and having guns. I think that is true for the majority of LEOs. That said I can't see him going door to door collecting guns as Lloyd said because as he said they and we are citizens of this great country. But what is more likely to happen is that an agency such as a United Nations task force that are not citizens of this country will do the dirty work. I hope and pray that never happens because it is not going to be pretty. As a group we are very strong but the way it will happen is me against a large force and a late night knock on the door little bits at a time until it is too late. Please tell me I'm wrong.

fatelk
12-15-2015, 02:33 PM
Personaly I have no problem at all with them having a paper work trail of my guns. At least then they do know that I sold them legally and wasn't the one using it in a crime. Bottom line is I personally think its a real stretch to think that there going to come to your door in this country and demand your guns. They don't want a war with there citizens. They about know theres nothing that they can do about the guns already in circulation. If anything what you will see is it made much harder to buy more. I figure I have _____ guns. Plenty enough that it wouldn't put me out. Sure id like to buy more but I sure could live with what I have in guns and I eliminated my recreational shooting I have enough supplys to keep them all in ammo for the 20 years or so I have left.

"I got mine- tough luck for those who don't"?

So many people don't realize that gun control is not nearly so much about guns as it is about control. The powers that be are much more interested in knowing and controlling who has gun rather than just banning them. Australia is held up by the left as a great example for gun control, since they rounded up and destroyed millions. BUT tons of people own guns in Australia even now. The difference is now the government knows and controls exactly who has what.

That's what they want everywhere. You'll always be able to have guns, especially if you have money and/or influence. The goal has always been universal registration, not for public safety near so much as for subject control.

fatelk
12-15-2015, 02:40 PM
Just for the record, most of my guns are "on the books" and I have a CHL. I'm in the system plenty myself and it doesn't particularly bother me, but out of principal I object to a system where everything is monitored and controlled to that level.

Added: I just realized where this thread is. Sorry for getting political in the "Our Town" section. Moderators- please delete my posts if they are inappropriate in this area.

David2011
12-15-2015, 09:18 PM
As far as the 4473 goes, IMO it's a fair distance from filling one out to actual registration. If a firearm is recovered from a crime scene or criminal there is a process for law enforcement to chase down the original purchaser. The law enforcement agency goes to the manufacturer or importer with the serial number. They tell the agency the name of the wholesaler. The action is repeated at the wholesaler who tells the agency the name of the retailer. The retailer has to look up the 4473 and tell the law enforcement agency the name and address of the original purchaser. My ex was involved in a number of traces when she worked at a gun shop and told me how the traces were handled.

It IS a good idea to have a bill of sale showing where your firearms have gone.

David

Doggonekid
12-16-2015, 01:04 AM
In Utah 12 guns per thousand people. I feel bad I must have more than my share.