PDA

View Full Version : Need creative help on slugging my barrel

Lagamor
12-11-2015, 07:51 PM
I have the equipment, and some wheelweight lead to start casting. But I want to slug my barrels before I start and I can't find anyplace that has pure lead suitable for this.
Ive gone to all the auto part stores in my area and nobody has any lead Stick On wheel weights. I'm all out of options. I don't know where to go for what I'm looking for.
Dose anybody know where I can find pure lead for this? Creative ideas are always welcome.
I also don't understand a common term on this website. What does SOWW mean?
im totally new to this and would appreciate some old hand cueing me in.

ThAnks in advance.

DougGuy
12-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Go to Wallyworld and get their egg sinkers from the fishing section. I use #6 and I think I smack them on the back of my vise to flatten them out and swell the middle of them bigger to do a .45 barrel. They are sized enough to do a .44 barrel without flattening them.

COWW = clip on wheel weights
SOWW = stick on wheel weights

50/50+2% = 50% wheel weight 50% pure lead 2% tin

Lagamor
12-11-2015, 08:24 PM
Thanks. That is very helpful.

love this site. The knowledge base is second to none!

Pipefitter
12-11-2015, 08:34 PM
Motorcycle shops should have Stick On Wheel Weights, If you are in need of a bit of soft lead or an approiprate sized egg sinker drop me a pm with your address and I will get some to you, just let me know what size you need.

JWFilips
12-11-2015, 09:53 PM
If you know any muzzleloaders they probably will give you a few pure lead balls! What caliber are you slugging?

Lagamor
12-11-2015, 10:04 PM
9mm(Makarov & Luger), .357 and .40.

edler7
12-15-2015, 11:49 PM
Careful on the egg sinkers. Some are zinc and are a lot harder than pure lead. The zinc weights were marked as such on the package when I went on the hunt for mine.

gwpercle
12-16-2015, 02:38 PM
I used bell sinkers, put the small end into the barrel and tapped the larger end down into it.
Read the label to make sure they are that nasty, fish and condor killing lead.
I bought an assortment of sizes at Academy .
Gary
PS Don't use a wooden dowel to drive them through with.

Nose Dive
12-22-2015, 02:23 PM
OK.... 'how much money you got?'

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/832580/meister-bullets-slug-your-barrel-kit-for-398-414-caliber-firearms#reviewHead

Here's a $35 kit, plus shipping... or,,, can get some tin from rotometals, cast some oversize items and slug away....

Think Gary is probably right on 'no wooden dowels' for rifles. But that is what I use for pistols... Metal rods are hard on 'blueing' on pistols and I ain't that good at keeping things straight and right down the barrel... cataracts and shaky hands you see..... I have 'scapped' some rifling on ...well,....everything...scrapped off blueing on pistols.... did I say I was no good at keeping things straight down the barrel? Be sure to 'protect the other end' of the barrel you are slugging. Wood and old towels..then set the barrel down on that and get after 'et. If you don't....you won't like the 'other end too much' when your finished. (ask me how I know)

Plumbers lead can work...so can solder..... have used both.... Oh.... start at the 'big end'... http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icons/icon12.png

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

LAGS
12-22-2015, 07:56 PM
Back when I was Dirt Poor, I just made a mold for the Slug out of Aluminum Foil wrapped around a wood dowel about the same size as the slug i wanted to cast.
Then twisted one end shut, and cast it full of Lead.
They aint the prettiest slugs, but when forced thru the bore, they left the exact same rifling impressions as any round ball or fishing sinker.

JWFilips
12-22-2015, 09:55 PM
You can drill appropriate size holes in hard wood and cast pure lead slugs that way

nvbirdman
12-23-2015, 10:55 PM
You can protect your muzzle by cutting the shoulder and neck off a 30-06 case and using that as a cleaning (or driving) rod guide.