PDA

View Full Version : Curious as to what my patches are doing

country gent
12-11-2015, 02:09 PM
Fired the first test loads from the new BACO 420 grn PP mould last sunday. Lousy condition as to temp, light and wind but was around 3 mins with first ever test loads of this bullet. Rifle is a CPA shilouette model with 30" douglas barrel 1-14 twist rate. Load was 60-64 grns 2 f olde ensford powder .060 napa wad 1/8" grease cookie, playing card wad, and a tracing paper wad. Powder was compressed with 1 st wad, to 340 from case mouth ( with grease cookie and wads this gave 3/16 depth for bullet). Bullets are .392 dia cast from 20-1 wrapped with bothe onion paper and seth cole 8lb paper dry wrapped. Normally I get confetti from outer wrap and the inner is pretty much intact with the 45s. My spotter claimed the patches were complete confetti and no inner wraps were recovered or seen. Although all the confetti was with in 3-4 feet of the muzzle also. Im curious as to if the inner wrap beeing cut is normal or if there is something I need to change?

BRUCE MOULDS
12-11-2015, 03:57 PM
both layers cut is a good thing.
it can leave the bullet immediately.
that said good shooting can be had from only the outer layer being cut.
a 395 bullet pwet patched with 8 lb seth cole will patch to 0.400, well suited to most barrels.
keep safe,
bruce.

Gunlaker
12-11-2015, 06:01 PM
I think it's a good thing. My most accurate rifles cut all the way through, although I have one that sometimes leaves postage stamp sized pieces of the inner wrap and it shoots well.

Chris.

Lead pot
12-11-2015, 09:27 PM
The remnant sizes depends also on the type of paper. A hard Vellum paper has a tendency to leave bigger pieces flying.
I have a .50 bullet that a little undersized and I make three wraps around it and that leaves about a 3/4 wrap uncut and I see no difference in accuracy with the way that patch performs.

BrentD
12-11-2015, 10:38 PM
With all that confetti, it sounds like your patches are cut well. However, if you did not actually pick them up and inspect them, you don't really know if they were cut or shredded. The diference in performance is huge. You want to see them cut. With all your grease cookies and wads, I suspect you were not getting blow buy and gas cutting, but that is a possibility. Otherwise, you could easily be getting confetti but shredded (not sliced) patches if you were shooting dirty.

Personally, I would say that your bullets are seated way too deep for best accuracy and your choice of powder is not, in my experience optimal.

Not knowing what your goals are, it is impossible to recommend a best approach. However, if you want to see what the gun can do with paper patches, start with no lube , seat not more than 0.1" in the case and wipe (2 damp, one wet) between shots. You will need more powder. If you are shooting a .40-65, I would guess closer to 72 grs of Swiss 1.5f would be a good place to start. If these shoot well, then work on shooting dirty or whatever you are wanting to do.

Brent