PDA

View Full Version : Two old presses

abunaitoo
12-11-2015, 03:59 AM
Got two old presses I'd like to get working again.
Looking for parts list or manual for them.
Need to find out what's missing.
I have a bunch of parts, but have no idea what fits what.
First one I have no idea what it is.
Second looks like a big Hollywood.
155366 155367 155368155369
155370 155371 155372 155373

LAH
12-11-2015, 10:22 AM
That's my first view of any like the top one.

Jim Kitchen
12-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Well, several of us are going to chime in on that second one. Very nice!

Grasslander
12-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Would you blow some of the dust off and repost some pics. Please.

Very interesting stuff you have there!

LUBEDUDE
12-11-2015, 01:26 PM
The first one is a Buchanon, a rare inline press with all operations sans Bullet feeder.

The second is a Hollywood Automatic Metallic Press as cleared up by 50bmg below.

.50bmg
12-11-2015, 01:44 PM
The first one is a Buchanon, a rare inline press with all operations sans Bullet feeder.

The second is a Hollywood Automatic Shotshell Press without the powder/shot actuator as well as obviously no measures.

The P/S actuator is the mechanism that is centered on top and automatically engages the powder and shot measures with each pull of the handle.

I think that this came from the factory set up this way without automated powder and shot because I don't think it as an easy task to just remove the Actuator and replace with a Hollywood Senior Turret top cap as pictured.

It may be a transitional model. Hollywood had a least two totally different Actuators that I am aware of. One of them may have been inferior and this "transitional" model may have been made during the design stage of the new one.

Lube
I believe the Hollywood is a metallic automatic with the shotgun dies on it. The shotgun automatic does not have all of the holes threaded as this one appears to. That's why there is no powder / shot actuator on it.

LUBEDUDE
12-11-2015, 02:06 PM
50bmg, I thought the same at first, but when I saw the plate actuator coming off the horizontal ram it made me think Shotshell, plus the primer plunger looks just like the Shotgun.

After looking both my presses over, I believe you are correct. I got mixed up. Both presses have the plate actuators, but ONLY the Shotshell press has the mess of gearing in the housing. Tracvision pointed this out to me back in October.

And the primer plunger assembly on the back must be same as well except for the size of the rod. HGS can confirm this.

I will go back and edit that post.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Grasslander
12-11-2015, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=LUBEDUDE;3465730]The first one is a Buchanon, a rare inline press with all operations sans Bullet feeder.

Here is a pic of another Buchanan. It has the bullet feeder. Doesn't look like the same model though. Do you think the legs/stand are home-made?

flashhole
12-11-2015, 03:12 PM
Very interesting, I want to follow this thread. More pics are always appreciated.

salpal48
12-11-2015, 03:31 PM
The Buchanan looks some what complete . The only one's I,v seen Running were in 38 spl. I Missed one working a while ago. There is no conventional shell holders. . The case tule looks missing . cases move on 2 steel tracks that are adjusted. and are spring loaded. dies are standard and change with caliber. Tracks change with caliber. 45 , 44.
Priming was difficult. sometimes worked , other not The one that I saw working . Ran good for 38 spl. . The carriage is original. .to Be mounted above table. . Like I said Ihave only seen 1 other.
. The guy who owned it said some Old CH parts would work. . The shell Tracks look similar to the auto champ.
Sal

LUBEDUDE
12-11-2015, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE=LUBEDUDE;3465730]The first one is a Buchanon, a rare inline press with all operations sans Bullet feeder.

Here is a pic of another Buchanan. It has the bullet feeder. Doesn't look like the same model though. Do you think the legs/stand are home-made?

Are you sure about the bullet feeder?

I see the empty case tube and primer tube and only 3 stations. Where is the bullet feeder?

The stand in OP is factory for that model.

beeser
12-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Could the first one instead be a PESCO or Newcomb?

On the Hollywood Metallic - I can see the shell plate trim rings and case ejection tab. What I can't see is the shell plate cutouts for the cases. It almost looks like a blank plate. And the 2 dies shown look like they're for shotshells yet there are bushings present. All of the Hollywood shotshell dies I've seen are 1-1/2" in diameter, the same as the die head openings. Is it possible these are metallic dies instead?

BTW, thanks abunaitoo for your post. It should be fun discussing your find.

abunaitoo
12-11-2015, 07:37 PM
Thank guys.
When I have some time, I will clean them up and take more pictures.

Grasslander
12-13-2015, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=Grasslander;3465815]

Are you sure about the bullet feeder?

I see the empty case tube and primer tube and only 3 stations. Where is the bullet feeder?

The stand in OP is factory for that model.

Lube, you are correct. I mistook what I thought was a bullet feeder for the empty case tube. Apologies...

salpal48
12-13-2015, 12:52 PM
The system Is similar to the Cougar & hunter that I have. , similar Machines were auto chanp, green machine.
I posted a Picture Of My C&H. . not to be confused with CH

abunaitoo
12-13-2015, 10:28 PM
Both are soaking now.
The Hollywood has really big dies, bit it looks like there are adapters to fit regular size dies.
The other one has really small dies. Could they be the same size as the Lyman nutcracker dies????

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-14-2015, 08:15 PM
abunaitoo,

I've found the following pieces of information to be very useful to me when dealing with rust on metal parts:

A good chemical remover:

http://www.rustremover.net/evapo-rust_1-gallon.htm

A good how to on electrolysis rust removal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQNvhUYqCkw

I hope this helps, it's helped me in past restoration projects.

Dave

abunaitoo
12-15-2015, 09:01 PM
Thanks
I've tried electrolysis rust removal before. Worked well.
Always wanted to try Evapo Rust. Can't seem to find it here.
It's soaking in solvent now. Second day.
I'll spray it with PB blaster to get things moving. Then soak it again.

ReloaderFred
12-15-2015, 10:53 PM
You can buy Evapo-Rust on-line, and there's no HazMat, since it's basically water with some good stuff in it. I've used about two gallons of it so far, and it does the job. Here's the link:

https://www.evaporust.com/evapo-rust-rust-remover?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=IM%20-%20Rust%20%26%20Corrosion&utm_term=Evapo-Rust

Hope this helps.

Fred

HGS
12-16-2015, 05:16 PM
abunaitoo;

Congratulations on your loading tool find, looks like you have found (in my opinion) a Hollywood auto shotgun loading press, set up with some adapters and a couple of Hollywood auto Metallic rifle/pistol loading dies. The large die that everyone is asuming to be a shotgun die is identical to one of my Hollywood auto bullet feeding dies and the other shorter die might be a case feeding die. (don't know about the offset hole it has) On my Hollywood metallic auto there are 5ea - 7/8"x14 die holes and 3 of the larger threaded holes for the case feeder, auto powder measure and a bullet feeder. When you get everything cleaned up it should be evident as to what the dies purpose is. Let us know as the info is important to Hollywood collectors.

Beeser, I believe your right on the dies being for metallic reloading as they sure match my dies and don't match the shotgun loading dies I have.

Again, good luck with your new presses.

HGS

beeser
12-17-2015, 10:44 AM
The system Is similar to the Cougar & hunter that I have. , similar Machines were auto chanp, green machine.
I posted a Picture Of My C&H. . not to be confused with CH
Thanks for posting pictures of your Cougar & Hunter. After looking at some of the Auto Champ and Green Machine it seems that the design was often copied. Of that design I've come across these - Newcomb, Buchanan, PECSCO, Jet, Auto Champ, Green Machine, Cougar & Hunter. Are there any others? In what order by date would they have been made? My apologies to the OP if this is too far removed from the original topic.

gl89aw
01-03-2016, 04:22 PM
I have and use a Buchanan in .38 spl. The dies are special to it and the seat/crimp die is not really adjustable for the crimp. I modified an RCBS die by turning the o.d. down threading it with nuts on both top and bottom of the platen. I didn't want to modify the press itself. My experience has been very good with it. It was made by Buchanan in the thirties/early forties, I think that Buchanan was the forerunner of Woodward Governor Co.