PDA

View Full Version : Williams FP receiver sight installed

tinhorn97062
12-10-2015, 10:55 PM
Thanks to "tdoor4570", I got my new peep sight installed. I also took off the rear buckhorn sight, as well as that horrid front sight hood. When shouldering this guy, I'm amazed at how fast I'm able to get on target. This just doesn't even compare to the factory buckhorn sights.

...now to get out and shoot it! [emoji51]

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/10/669801c38677d6846335a1388a071dfa.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/10/73f880ef214d1d8a73353208bf531788.jpg

BigEyeBob
12-10-2015, 11:53 PM
Had a set on my 1895 for many years and I am very very happy with the decision I made (to remove the scope that was on the rifle when I bought it ) and fit the Williams peep sight . Quicker target acquisition in my opinion and less likely to get knocked out of whack .

Muskrat Mike
12-10-2015, 11:57 PM
After you get it sighted in unscrew the aperture and you won't believe how fast and accurate they are!

TXGunNut
12-11-2015, 01:23 AM
One of my favorite rear sights! Don't forget to install a rear sight blank, gives the job a finished look. The Marble blank looks good on most guns, the older Winchesters look best with Brownell's "deluxe" or "fancy" blank, can't recall. May also need a taller front sight, will see after your range trip.

tinhorn97062
12-11-2015, 01:32 AM
When I put it on, I did so with the factory rear sight still attached. I sighted something through the buckhorn, and then adjusted the peep to where I could see everything through it. Doing that, I seemed to have plenty of room to go up and down with it. I may have to drift the front sight a hair, as the peep is definitely hugging one side. That will all get worked out at the range, I'm sure.

Hick
12-11-2015, 02:25 AM
Hey-- great job! Looks good. I did exactly the same as you on my Winchester Model 94 last spring. Same peep sight, removed the semi-buckhorn and the front sight hood and have been very, very pleased this summer with how easy it is to acquire the target and shoot. You should have fun!

outdoorfan
12-11-2015, 03:29 AM
After you get it sighted in unscrew the aperture and you won't believe how fast and accurate they are!

+1! I don't even use the screw in aperture. I haven't found that it really makes any improvement in my shooting. The ghost ring is where it's at for me.

stubert
12-11-2015, 09:46 AM
I have a Merit adjustable aperture on my FP. I also went with a firesight up front. I had to get a taller front sight. This is on an 1895 Guide Gun.

Charlie in Co
12-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Has anybody tried the fiber optic front sight with the Williams FP ? I'm tempted to replace my factory front sight on a 1895 Marlin but the fiber optic sight seems a little fragile to me.

tdoor4570
12-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Looks like it did when on my 336 444marlin but I couldn't see through it very well and had to go to a chunk of glass. I put on an org. redfield wideview built in denver never been happer. Glad that you like the sight have fun with it tdoor4570

OverMax
12-11-2015, 10:18 AM
The only time I used my F/P aperture was at its initial sighting/targeting. There after it was stored for safe keeping under the rifles butt plate. Yep I agree unscrew its aperture if you intend to hunt with your rifle. Doing so will extend your shooting time. (twilight periods> morning & evenings.)

pietro
12-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Has anybody tried the fiber optic front sight with the Williams FP ? I'm tempted to replace my factory front sight on a 1895 Marlin but the fiber optic sight seems a little fragile to me.

ALL my peep-sighted rifles wear an FO front sight, since I'm a hunter, and not a paper target shooter.

I started using FO sights very soon after they were 1st introduced many years ago, and have yet to break one - but then, I don't lean my rifles against a slippery surface (like the side of a vehicle, etc), use them to literally beat (part) the brush or as a stream-crossing crutch.

Anyone fearful of breakage, however, and if the front sight is in a sight ramp with the side grooves to hold a hood, can install one of William's front sight hoods made specifically for FO front sights, with a large, light-admitting cutout in the roof of the hood.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/images/70031firesightramphood.jpg

Charlie in Co
12-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Unfortunately it is not ramped but dovetailed into barrel.

Treetop
12-25-2015, 09:25 PM

+2! Some of my best levergun groups have been shot w/o the aperture.

Antietamgw
12-26-2015, 08:41 PM
Unfortunately it is not ramped but dovetailed into barrel.
In the past, Williams had a dovetail gib that accepted a 6X48 screw. It was used to secure their ramps to barrels with a dovetail instead of drilled and tapped for sight screws. They probably still have them. Last time I needed some sight parts they were very helpful. Worth a call.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/rifle.htm

GabbyM
12-26-2015, 09:04 PM
Have had an FP with target knobs in my wish list at Brownell's for a year. For my M94-AE in 30-30.
Need to just pull the trigger on it. Target knobs are for silly things like ringing the 18" gong 325 yards out back. Which may or may not be successful. With stock sights a milk jug at 150 is about a 50/50 proposition.

UBER7MM
12-26-2015, 09:24 PM
"I also took off the rear buckhorn sight, as well as that horrid front sight hood."

Tinhorn,

You might experiment with the front sight hood. With the right sized rear aperture peep, the front hood will line up with the rear hole for fast target acquisition.

Just a thought....

tinhorn97062
12-26-2015, 10:01 PM
"I also took off the rear buckhorn sight, as well as that horrid front sight hood."

Tinhorn,

You might experiment with the front sight hood. With the right sized rear aperture peep, the front hood will line up with the rear hole for fast target acquisition.

Just a thought....

I'll keep it in mind. I didn't get rid of the parts, as I always like to keep the originals. Next time I get out shooting, I'll try with and without the rear aperture, as well as with and without the sight hood. I'm about a month away from moving though, so getting or to the range again is becoming a slim proposition with all the odds and ends still left to do.

Wolfer
12-27-2015, 10:42 AM
I have aperture sights on four rifles. All have fiber optic front sights with no hood. I've never broke or damaged one.
Like many here I usually use it without the aperture installed.
I have all sizes of apertures and shooting for group I've found my best groups are usually with large or no aperture.

northmn
12-27-2015, 11:06 AM
I have found that I can shoot a little better with an aperature like the Williams "Twilight". As to front sights I have had to replace a couple of them for height. My favorite is a fiber optic green instead of the red, but like others I use them for general utility work and not for paper. My rifles do not have a hood and get carried on both a 4 wheeler and tractor and I have not broken the fiber optic sights yet.

DEP

Wolfer
12-27-2015, 03:37 PM
Oddly enough I can't hit a barn from inside it with the twilight aperture. The gold ring seems to glare in my eye.

flint45
12-28-2015, 03:28 PM
On my 1895 Marlin .45-70 Ihad to use thread lock or they would shoot lose afer that no problem.