PDA

View Full Version : New powder (to me) cast 45acp having issues.

Big Dangle
12-10-2015, 09:24 PM
I have 2 Lyman and modern reloading books and I looked here and at surplusrifles via search feature, still not positive.
Looking for a mid to hot range, load using accurate #5 powder
Some books and interweb say accurate #5 some say aa#5, something? Mostly the issue I'm sure.
I'm using mixed headstamp brass, books say federal cases only. Why? Thickness?
CCI large primer
Boolit is the Lee 228 gr RN also the 200gr SWC
Problem is I'm coming up with a whole bunch of different powder charges some starting at 5.0grns and some starting at 7.0, the only other powder I used for 45acp is 800x so since I'm using something different I really really want to be sure. I'll be shooting out of 1911, full-size XD, blackhawk and Taurus millennium.

waco
12-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition

Lyman 452460, 200gr SWC AA#5 6.4gr-8.0gr

Lyman 452630, 200gr SWC AA#5 7.0gr-8.5gr

Lyman 452374 225gr RN(very similar to your Lee) AA#5 6.6gr-8.2gr

I hope this helps you. Pick up a copy of this book. Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook Edition 3 is a good one as well.

Waco

Big Dangle
12-11-2015, 12:13 AM
I have one cast bullet handbook it doesn't have the bullet I was using and I was wondered if something close to it was ok. Thanks alot that helps alot

bangerjim
12-11-2015, 01:03 AM
Get the Lyman CAST....repeat.....CAST Bullet Handbook, not the other one that has lots of useless FMJ info (unless you load those!). #4 is the current. #3 has a lot of useful data removed from #4. Cornell's sells an excellent #3 reprint!

All other books are a waste for us casters. The Lee hardback thick book has some cast info. You would think they would have lots of it as they MAKE molds! DUH?!?!?!?

I also get load data from powder maker's websites.

Good luck on your quest for load data!

banger

Big Dangle
12-11-2015, 03:08 AM
Well looks like I'm buying a new book.

mikeingeorgia
01-02-2016, 07:07 AM
If you go to the Accurate Powder website, they have an online book of load data that you can browse or print at home. It has the bullets you mention for that powder, so you'd have a great reference. They also have some updated data for a number of cartridges that has been updated within the last couple of months. Hope this helps.

bedbugbilly
01-02-2016, 10:21 AM
I have the 2nd and 3rd edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook and both are the manuals that I use most.

bangerjim . . . I agree with you on the Lee manual. I bought the latest edition and was truly disappointed in it. What surprised me the most was that a lot of the lead boolit data on some cartridges don't even match the grain weights of their production molds. I will say that it does include such things as the 45 Schofield, etc. that aren't in a lot of manuals . . but not with the powders that I have/use. The thing I like about the LCBH is that much of the data (for what I load) has the powders that most folks would have on their shelf.

Griff
01-02-2016, 07:26 PM
The Lyman 4th Edition Cast doesn't have some info in the 3rd Ed., but... have some info not found in the 3rd also. Mainly pistol caliber rifle load info. Do wish they'd have added some .38Spl rifle data, but... the added 45Colt rifle data was a real boon.