PDA

View Full Version : 410 pierced primers???

shawnba67
12-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Replaced firing pin in a savage 107b single shot. Protrusion is .063 with hammer all way forward. . Only shells I have to try are remminton 2-1/2" #6. I dont have they box but it was grey and green with a pic of a dove on it. Any ideas? Ammo? Pin to long? Thanks for any advice

218bee
12-11-2015, 10:19 PM
If no problems before you replaced firing pin I guess that's where I would look first.
Not sure how far it should protrude?
Wonder if tip is "sharp/pointed" ? maybe needs a little smoothing?
Ammo sounds like typical field load.
Headspace ok??

country gent
12-11-2015, 11:55 PM
Look at the pin with a good magnifying glass and make sure it is a smooth well blended radious on the tip. This allows the primer to fire and not cut the cup, sharp edges or corners rough areas may stretch or cut the cup weakening it on firing. Another trick is to pack a hulls primer hole full of clay and actually dry fire the gun with it in the chamber, cock the hammer and open this gives an impression of the dent made by the firing pin. SOme guns are rebound type pins and even hammer pushed forward the pin may travel a little farther ahead of the hammer due to momentum. Also make sure the firing pin fits the hole in the reciever to much clearence between them allows pressure to work.