PDA

View Full Version : seating stem short??

sparky508
12-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Wondering if anyone else out there has seen this before:

My 9mm seating die, an RCBS carbide set, has to be threaded very low in the press in order for the seating stem to make any kind of OAL.

Meaning that my stem is bottomed out in the die, and in order for the bullet to even come close to seating into the case, I am well into a the crimping stage of the die. Of course this causes my bullets to be swaged and a nice bulgy case after seating. I have an email into RCBS, as I suspect some of it may have to do with the bullet profile I am using, and to see if they offer a longer seating stem or if my die is out of spec.

(358 125RF bullet)

I don’t recall having this issue with a round nose cast, or some Berry’s plated, but now I have to check when I get back to the press……..[smilie=b:

Char-Gar
12-10-2015, 01:35 PM
You can buy extended shell holders that will raise the round quit a bit an eliminate the problem.

sparky508
12-10-2015, 02:59 PM
That wouldn't help, as it wouldn't change the position of the seating stem inside the die, only shorten the stroke of the press ram.

Char-Gar
12-10-2015, 03:54 PM
That wouldn't help, as it wouldn't change the position of the seating stem inside the die, only shorten the stroke of the press ram.

OK, then shorten your die body. A bench or belt grinder will do the trick. A lathe is better, but not necessary. I have done this a few times.

sparky508
12-10-2015, 04:24 PM
Here is what I have, or at least the way I see it, please correct me if i am wrong here. 155348

What I am showing in the image, is that when the stem is in the seating die as far as it will go, I have to lower the entire die to make the bullet seat, at which point I am laying a massive crimp into my cartridge.

sparky508
12-10-2015, 04:26 PM
OK, then shorten your die body. A bench or belt grinder will do the trick. A lathe is better, but not necessary. I have done this a few times.

Although I guess I could shorten it from the top side, giving me more throw on my seating stem. Is that what you were saying?

Char-Gar
12-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Here is how to adjust your seating and crimping die. Unless your die was not properly made or of the wrong caliber this will work.

1. Place a case in the shell holder and raise it to it's full height.
2. Screw you die down until it contacts the case mouth and then back it off about 1/8 turn.
3. Back off the seating stem.
4. Place a bullet in the case mouth, raise the case to the full length of the ram and then screw the seating stem down until you have seated the bullet to the correct seating depth.
5. Back/raise the seating stem and turn the die body down until you have the correct crimp.
6. Lower the seating stem unit sits on top of the seated and crimped bullet.
7. Lock the die with the ring and load ammo.

If I was with you, I could identify the problem in just a few second, but this is the best I can do long distance.

If this does not work, check to make certain you are using dies of the correct caliber and if they are correct, contact the maker for a correct length seating stem. RCBS will send you the needed parts free of charge and no questions asked. They will even send you a new die if need be. They stand by their products.

Rattlesnake Charlie
12-10-2015, 04:43 PM
Use a seating screw from a .38 Spl or .357 mag die set.

dilly
12-10-2015, 04:48 PM
You sure it's not a 38 super die or something else like that?

sparky508
12-10-2015, 04:51 PM
Labeled and stamped for 9mm, just the stem or stem stubby bullet combo I think??

Rattlesnake Charlie
12-10-2015, 04:58 PM
My RCBS and Lyman dies have one piece screw and plug for bullet nose to seat with.

The Lee and Hornady have a separate plug with a screw that follows it.

I've been known to change up anything that fits to get results.

sparky508
12-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Is the 38/357 stem longer? Or same length cause the case is taller? Could look when I get home but still so far away!

paul h
12-10-2015, 09:26 PM
I would think the 38/357 stem would be shorter due to the longer case, but I only have an RCBS 357 seating die so can't compare to their 9mm to answer the question.

sparky508
12-10-2015, 10:04 PM
So stems are the same length, but seating with the 38sp die, passed a plunk test and did not swage my bullet. So looks like I need a 1/2-20 bolt and some hot glue or jb weld to make a custom seater for my 9mm die. Also going to see what rcbs thinks about this whole gig, as far as the long body of the die or the sort stem

fguffey
12-11-2015, 11:09 AM
I have the green RCBS sorting trays, one is used for seating stems. I have no problem swapping out a short stem for a long one. The long stem is helpful when removing the stem from the die when cleaning. The short stem requires a small screw driver.

F. Guffey