PDA

View Full Version : high standard magazine problem

roysha
12-10-2015, 12:15 PM
I have a Supermatic Tournament (this is the old long angle grip) that is virtually new in box with what I assume is the original High Standard marked magazine. However, I cannot get more then 4 rounds into the magazine and then it jams up. It seems the ammunition is too long causing the rim to not slide down the channel in the back of the magazine where, I assume, it is supposed to go. I thought that perhaps someone along the line had exchanged the magazine for a 22 short magazine. I tried some .22 shorts in the magazine but it wasn't real satisfactory as regards functioning.

Since these are caliber (cartridge) marked on the barrel and the barrel is interchangeable, is it possible that this particular handgun started life as a .22 short version and someone decided to install a .22 LR barrel on it but didn't change the magazine?

I have disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the magazine body, spring and steel follower. There was really no indication that it was dirty but I wanted to make sure. It also fits VERY tight when inserted. Occasionally I have to literally pry the magazine out. I doubt that has anything to do with the above problem, just mentioned as a side note.

I am at a loss to explain what is going on. My experience with High Standard has always been excellent even with the rattiest of them, so given the condition of this one, it truly puzzles me.

376Steyr
12-10-2015, 01:07 PM
I think it is more likely the High Standard magazine you have is not the original one for the gun.

SOFMatchstaff
12-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Look at the magazine lips, is there a raised tab on the left rear side of the feed lip? If so its a 22 short mag, that tab is the ejector, and it might be pinned for 5 rounds. There is also an integral ramp in the front of the short mag . The slant grip doesn't have the "truss" on the bottom of the magazine.

Try this...

High Standard - Services (http://www.highstandard.com/index.php/services-mil)

roysha
12-10-2015, 09:00 PM
I think it is more likely the High Standard magazine you have is not the original one for the gun.

I'm not sure how this would apply to the situation of not being able to load the magazine with cartridges. It is clearly marked High Standard in the High Standard style on the rest of the gun and it seems, except for a couple of variations that the H-S magazines were rather interchangeable.

roysha
12-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Look at the magazine lips, is there a raised tab on the left rear side of the feed lip? If so its a 22 short mag, that tab is the ejector, and it might be pinned for 5 rounds. There is also an integral ramp in the front of the short mag . The slant grip doesn't have the "truss" on the bottom of the magazine.

Try this...

High Standard - Services (http://www.highstandard.com/index.php/services-mil)

Well for sure it is not a 22 short magazine.