PDA

View Full Version : 1891 Mauser scope mount

Danth
12-09-2015, 08:07 PM
Have found mounts for 93 and 95 small ring Mausers, but haven't found any listings for 1891's. I'd like a one piece Redfield but are open to suggestions. Any recommendations? Thanks, Dan

Der Gebirgsjager
12-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Try S&K Scope Mounts. They used to make them, and I purchased and mounted several. They are one piece.

pietro
12-10-2015, 12:17 PM

FWIW, the 1891 Mauser action (only - w/o the magazine mechanism & bottom metal) has dimensions identical to the 1893/95 Mausers.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Or, to put it another way, it has "small ring" Mauser dimensions. I visited the S&K website, and much to my surprise didn't see a thing that I recognized. They've changed their entire line, it would seem, since I was active in the gunsmithing business. They do have a "no gunsmithing" mount for small ring Mausers, sort of a peculiar looking thing. Still, it wouldn't hurt to call and chat with them, phone calls being cheap now days. It has never been easy to find a mount specifically for the '91 Mauser, and I believe that S&K were one of the very few that did make them. I recall that once I had a '91 to scope that had the holes already drilled and tapped in locations that didn't match the spacing in their standard mount, and as the result of a phone call they pulled one off the assembly line that hadn't been drilled yet but was otherwise finished and sent it to me so that I was able to drill my own holes and match it up. Who knows, even though they no longer list them they might have one on the shelf. While on the subject, if you have a drill press, hacksaw and some files you can purchase a length of blank scope mount rail from Brownell's and make a mount to fit almost any Mauser-type rifle and use Weaver-type rings.
DG

Larry Gibson
12-11-2015, 12:05 PM
The Redfield base for the 93/95 Mauser fits the M91 Mauser perfectly. If you M91 is an Argentine you will also have the modify/remove the stripper clip guide portion of the bolt stop/ejector housing.

Larry Gibson

UBER7MM
12-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Larry,

I see lots of Redfield and Leupold 96 Mauser scope bases currently for sale, but not 93/95 Mauser scope bases advertised. Will a 96 Mauser scope base fit on a 93 or 95 Mauser being that they are all small ringed? Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Larry Gibson
12-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Yes it will fit.

Larry Gibson

Danth
12-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Ok, so will the 96 Redfield mount on a 91? Wonder why they don't list the 91 along with the 93, 95 and 96.

leadman
12-12-2015, 11:00 PM
I buy the Weaver scope bases, one for the front and one for the rear. I have not tried a single piece mount on a 91. Using the single bases you do need to file or grind down that stripper clip hump like Larry said. Don't move the base towards the rear of the receiver as the bolt will most likely hit it when raised. Even if you file the corner off then the scope ring usually hits. I have corrected several 91s with this error by Bubba performed.

S&K has the Scout Scope bases available that the rear sight ladder is removed and the scope base installed in place of the sight ladder. Long for the rifles and short for the carbines.

vzerone
12-12-2015, 11:52 PM
You might find this page interesting:

http://www.klstottlemyer.com/klstottlemyer.com/Past_%26_Present_Projects/Pages/Argentine_mauser.html