PDA

View Full Version : Colt Trigger Stacking

Petrol & Powder
12-09-2015, 07:44 PM
I recently repaired a 3rd generation Colt Detective Special that was slightly out of time. It is now perfectly in time and the lock-up is spot on. The action on this particular Colt has been polished and tweaked to yield a pretty good DA pull and 100% reliability. It has never shot better and the trigger is actually better than several other Detective Specials, Cobras and Agents I've owned, but when testing it after the repair I was reminded of that classic Colt DA trigger stacking. I know some people like the Colt actions and I've owned and shot my share but I've never really warmed to that Colt DA trigger that gets heavier before it breaks. The Colt DA revolvers are fine guns but I far prefer my S&W and Ruger revolvers. If you're a Colt fan, no offense :neutral:

Over the years I've noticed the 2nd model Detective Specials (pre 1973) and other older model Police Positive Specials (D-frames) seem to have less noticeable trigger stacking. I can't tell if that is a function of a different design or simply smooth actions from older well used guns.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Fire_Medic
12-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Nice looking piece P&P :bigsmyl2:

Outpost75
12-09-2015, 08:32 PM
I think the degree of stacking in a Colt is a matter of wear and fit-up of the parts. It can be influenced by a skilled gunsmith.

Was wondering if your DS was a Jerry Kieffer or a Sandy Garrett job?

Looks very much like mine, except I had my front sight cut differently.

Those are Eagle Secret Service grips?

Petrol & Powder
12-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Thanks!
I've always liked the fact that the snubnose Colt D-frames (Detective Special, Cobra and Agent) fall between the S&W J-frames and S&W K-frames in terms of size. They are also 6 shot revolvers that are only slightly bigger than a S&W 5 shot J-frame. Unfortunately I also feel the actions of the Smith's & Ruger's are better in terms of durability and trigger pull.

Petrol & Powder
12-09-2015, 08:45 PM
I think the degree of stacking in a Colt is a matter of wear and fit-up of the parts. It can be influenced by a skilled gunsmith.

Was wondering if your DS was a Jerry Kieffer or a Sandy Garrett job?

Looks very much like mine, except I had my front sight cut differently.

Those are Eagle Secret Service grips?

It's a Petrol & Powder job ! :bigsmyl2:

And yes, those are Eagle Secret Service grips with the left grip panel modified by me to allow clearance for a speed loader.