PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions please for handled in Ruger SP101

Kermit2
12-09-2015, 04:25 PM
I've purchased a new Ruger SP101 in .357 mag with a 2 1/4" barrel. I've tried two handholds and both seem to shoot high from a pistol rest at 25 yards. The loads tested were 5.0 grains of Unique with 158 LSWC, and Lyman 358156 LSWCGC seated in lower crimp groove of .38 cases and using 12.5 grains of 2400 powder.

Any suggestions of loads that might shoot closer to point of aim in this revolver would be appreciated. I'd like to get the revolver to shoot close to point of aim at 25 yards. Not sure what distance these are regulated for and with what bullet weight. Not sure if a taller front sight will be needed. All help is appreciated.

Mica_Hiebert
12-09-2015, 04:46 PM
my 3 inch hits poa with every thing I feed it. good luck!

Piedmont
12-10-2015, 08:58 AM
Just use a lighter bullet and they will hit lower.

Petrol & Powder
12-10-2015, 09:14 AM
A lighter bullet will typically shoot lower in a revolver but I've had pretty good luck with the SP101 and 158gr bullets.

Just as a test, try shooting a standard pressure 38 Special load with a 158 gr bullet followed by a .357 mag load with a 125 gr bullet.
Those two loads should give you a high & low hit respectively. Once you have that bracket you'll have a pretty good idea how the sights are regulated.

Just as an aside, I had a 4" model 64 that drove me nuts with 158gr bullets until I upper the powder charge a bit. Sometimes it is the little things. Also you may want to drop the range back to 15 yards just for your testing, it makes it easier to grasp what's going on. You can go back to 25 yards once you get the load dialed in.

Tackleberry41
12-10-2015, 09:49 AM
My snub SP101 really doesn't have the sights to get any accuracy at that sort of distance. Its more of a close range point and shoot thing.

Petrol & Powder
12-10-2015, 08:32 PM
The sights on a SP101 are fixed. An integral front blade and a notch cut in the rear of the top strap. Similar to many other revolvers with fixed sights. They are not adjustable but they are serviceable and more than adequate for their intended role.
And one can get fine accuracy with fixed sights, you just can't adjust them.

Bula
12-11-2015, 12:33 AM
How high are we talking? If it's an inch or so from poa maybe a non issue. Try shooting at 10 yards. Fixed sight snubbies are configured for defensive situations. As long as shot placement repeatable, you're good to go.

rintinglen
12-12-2015, 08:14 AM
A lighter boolit seems like the direction you need to go. I'd try the Lee 125 grain FP over 5.5 grains over Unique and see if that doesn't make for sunshine and blue skies.

It may be that you need a taller front sight, though, if your gun is shooting 8 or more inches high. Not a big problem though, the SP-101 front sights are replaceable, unlike some other snubbies out there. Call Ruger's customer service desk, explain to them in detail you problem, and they should be able to help you out. Failing that, order a replacement blade from Brownell's for 4 bucks, take to a local weld shop and have them weld it up about a sixteenth of an inch. Take the gun with the new front sight installed, fire it, and file the sight down until you are hitting POA/POI with your preferred carry load.

(By my calculation, a .004 higher front sight should lower your point of impact about 8 inches, a 16th gives you a few extra thousandths to work with.) Then experiment until you find a load that works as a training load.

phonejack
12-12-2015, 08:55 AM
With that short of a barrel, I use bullseye and titegroup for a complete powder burn.

Kermit2
12-12-2015, 08:56 AM
One of the loads I tested used the Lee cast 125 grn RNFP and Tightgroup powder. Don't have my notes with me, but I think 3.8 grains of Tightgroup. These shot a little below point of aim, but they're a pretty light load. The 158 grain loads shot several inches high (3 or 4" if memory serves correctly) at 25 yards. I've contacted Ruger and they're sending a taller front sight. I'm also considering getting one of Gemini Small Wonder fiber optic replacement sights as it would be more visible.

Petrol & Powder
12-12-2015, 10:14 AM
A lighter boolit seems like the direction you need to go. I'd try the Lee 125 grain FP over 5.5 grains over Unique and see if that doesn't make for sunshine and blue skies.

It may be that you need a taller front sight, though, if your gun is shooting 8 or more inches high. Not a big problem though, the SP-101 front sights are replaceable, unlike some other snubbies out there. Call Ruger's customer service desk, explain to them in detail you problem, and they should be able to help you out. Failing that, order a replacement blade from Brownell's for 4 bucks, take to a local weld shop and have them weld it up about a sixteenth of an inch. Take the gun with the new front sight installed, fire it, and file the sight down until you are hitting POA/POI with your preferred carry load.

(By my calculation, a .004 higher front sight should lower your point of impact about 8 inches, a 16th gives you a few extra thousandths to work with.) Then experiment until you find a load that works as a training load.

Very Good Point.
I forgot that the SP101 front sight is pinned to the barrel. If bullet weight doesn't fix the problem a taller front sight certainly will.

Motor
12-12-2015, 10:28 AM
One of the loads I tested used the Lee cast 125 grn RNFP and Tightgroup powder. Don't have my notes with me, but I think 3.8 grains of Tightgroup. These shot a little below point of aim, but they're a pretty light load. The 158 grain loads shot several inches high (3 or 4" if memory serves correctly) at 25 yards. I've contacted Ruger and they're sending a taller front sight. I'm also considering getting one of Gemini Small Wonder fiber optic replacement sights as it would be more visible.

It sounds like you got it well under control. It's nice to hear that Ruger is sending you a taller front sight.

Those are nice, well made revolves.

Motor

jcren
12-12-2015, 12:03 PM
To lower poi in a handgun, you need to reduce dwell in thee barrel (lighter bullet, faster powder) or reduce muzzle rise (softer shooting powder, firmer grip, better fitting grips). Unique and 2400 are both fairly slow until pushed pretty hard. Faster powder, hotter loads or maybe even Magnum primers should get you to point of aim.