PDA

View Full Version : Herters super model 3

Bazoo
12-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Will the handle on this old beast stay up, if one puts a wedge under the base so that the ram is vertical?

atr
12-09-2015, 02:57 PM
When not in use I use a small block of wood between the top of the ram and the bottom of the casting which holds the die. So Making the ram vertical will not help you.
atr
ps...best d@%* press made. I've been using mine since the mid 60's

Pressman
12-09-2015, 03:43 PM
I use a "C" shaped heavy wire that snaps around the handle and the primer arm.

Ken

Bazoo
12-09-2015, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the info.

fguffey
12-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Will the handle on this old beast stay up, if one puts a wedge under the base so that the ram is vertical?

I have at least 6 Herter Super 3 presses. I do not trust any of them when it comes to the handle. Kicking the press forward at the top would only complicate the problem, I have one Super 3 with a detent ball. It has a threaded hole drilled through the housing and into the ram. The detent has a round steel ball that is forced against the ram by a spring. Spring tension on the ram is controlled by screwing the retainer screw in.

If you are using after market shell holders for the Herter press there would be an advantage to mounting the press with a vertical ram.

F. Guffey

Eddie2002
12-09-2015, 07:45 PM
I picked up a Hertzer Model 3 with no primer arm about a year ago at a local gun show. To keep the handle up I bent a C shapped piece of medium wire that goes through the bolt hole for the primer arm and goes around the handle. I was thinking about using a rare earth magnet glued onto the frame but never got roundtuit.
I prime on a seperate press and use the Hertzer just for resizing rifle brass.

rpludwig
12-10-2015, 10:57 AM
bungee, shoestring, wire...also since the '60's...

Bazoo
12-10-2015, 02:48 PM
When running pistol brass, i like to have my left hand bringing a new piece of brass to the press, while the right hand is removing the old piece. I dont keep one hand on the press all the time. I could do this with my old spartan press, as the handle wasnt so heavy that it would fall down, even with a wedge under the base.

Eddie2002
12-11-2015, 12:05 PM
I got tired of the arm whacking me in the knee everytime I let go if it. Bungee cords would be a good idea instead of the wire hanger I've rigged up.

Pavogrande
12-14-2015, 07:56 AM
I don't know about the super, but my #3 has 2 detent balls, one on each side of casting -
It was bought new about 1958-59 --

Bazoo
12-14-2015, 07:32 PM
Id like to have one with the ball detents. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for one of those monsters.

Pressman
12-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Pavogrande, I really, really, really got to see a picture of your 2-ball Model 3. It is factory made???

Ken

Pavogrande
12-15-2015, 02:52 AM
Ken -- point taken as to herter #3 being as issued.
The bugger has been on the bench for at least 40 years and before that was my Dad's --
Anyroad, I had removed it for packing so went out and checked it --
Factory set screw, ball and spring on left side - facing press - home drilled set screw with brass plug on right side -
Apparently Dad felt more friction or a lock was needed -- I have never used the added screw/plug.

BwBrown
12-15-2015, 03:31 AM
I got my #3 around 1976, it has the detent ball.
I have since picked up two more, and have added the detents to them. Simple task: drill a hole, tap it for the plug, put the ram in the lathe to add the groove into which the ball slides.

I have use this press since new, while I have a whole cadre of presses now, the #3 sees service from time to time.

wallpep
12-22-2021, 09:40 PM
I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you could tell me:

What size tap?
Left, right, middle?
About how far up on the casting?
Did you use a threaded spring plunger like ones at McMaster Carr?

Thanks in advance.

I got my #3 around 1976, it has the detent ball.
I have since picked up two more, and have added the detents to them. Simple task: drill a hole, tap it for the plug, put the ram in the lathe to add the groove into which the ball slides.

I have use this press since new, while I have a whole cadre of presses now, the #3 sees service from time to time.