PDA

View Full Version : Handy and cheap

slimmpd
12-09-2015, 01:29 PM
155257155258Good morning. I'm pretty new around here but thought I'd share a handy little tool I just stumbled onto. Been casting .50 maxi balls and .54, 450gr. Great Plains for a couple of days. Set up everything for pan lubing, then realized what a mess I was going to make cutting them out. I went to Lowe's with a few bullets in my pocket and looked around. I found this. It's called a cut off riser. It's a fitting for installing yard sprinklers. You can either brake it or cut if to fit but comes in several lengths, this one is 6 inches. It's beveled on each end and has outside threads from one end to the other so when you get greasey it's easy to hold. It's hard to beat using a 50 BMG case for cutting 50 bullets out of your lube. This will do 50's pretty good but still a little messy but it works wonders on .54's.
Its almost like a sizing die, it's fit is so close but the plains bullets will slide thru it just by gravity if you let it sit there a second. It lets you fill up those lube groves and cuts down on waste and mess.
Pop them out the top, roll em tight in wax paper and staple both ends and nomore greasy slicks on the leg of your pants.
69 cents plus tax.

Maven
12-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Very clever, slimmpd! That's thinking outside the box, or should I say block of lube, for sure.

nagantguy
12-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Welcome and thanks for sharing your out of the box, box store solution.

waarp8nt
12-09-2015, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the good idea!