PDA

View Full Version : Help with these markings

LenH
12-09-2015, 09:45 AM
I cast some bullets for my brother and in return he gave me two bars with this mark on the back.

Sn60BS Just out of curiosity is that 60% Tin 40% lead? On the front it has VACULOY SOLDER. He got these
from an older gentleman that was cleaning out his reloading room, his score was a bunch more than these 2 bars.
But when you trade bullets for what ever you can get, it is better than nothing.

Most of what I saw on the internet was a 63/37 tin to lead alloy.

bangerjim
12-09-2015, 01:25 PM
That is wave soldering bars. 60SN40Pb.

I have many dozens of those Vaculoy brand bars. Look up that name on Google. Tons of info out there on the various alloys they make if you just look for it.

63/37 is close enough to 60/40 for everything we do! Don't sweat the small details in a few %.

banger

LenH
12-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks Jim. I just didn't understand BS designation after the Sn60.

bangerjim
12-09-2015, 03:03 PM
BS = bar solder.

LenH
12-09-2015, 07:25 PM
BS = bar solder.

Now I feel Dumb! But I'm going to add some to some range scrap to help with the fill out.

jonp
12-11-2015, 06:01 AM
Now I feel Dumb! But I'm going to add some to some range scrap to help with the fill out.

Not as dumb as I felt after adding a couple of bars of "lead" to my pot when making ingots from the sheet lead I bought and then asking about them just to find out I added 2 bars of solder which then required me to go back and BHN test almost 100 ingots to try and separate them out. I think there was a lesson in there for me somewhere.

I also learned after buying some lead scrap for .65/lb at the same place and picking up a pewter plate in the scrap that they are not really fussy about what is lead/pewter/solder and to keep going back!

RogerDat
12-15-2015, 10:58 PM
How about not snatching up some plates and bowls labeled EPBM at the scrap yard because they did not say pewter. Only to find out that is Electro Plated Britannia Metal which is 94% tin + antimony. Sigh... of course it was gone by the time I got back.

lwknight
12-16-2015, 01:18 AM
We all had those C.R. moments when the red flag jumps up in the mind and you stop to say " What did I just do?"
Anyway , live and learn is how it works.

Retumbo
12-16-2015, 07:28 AM
If it helps... its eutectic solder iirc