PDA

View Full Version : My new .45

Tom W.
12-08-2015, 11:14 PM
Last month I got a new RIA .45. I noticed that my fired brass has a dent about halfway down the case. Seems there is a small burr in the chamber. As soon as I get my shipping label it's off to get worked on. It's a pity, as it's the most accurate center fire pistol that I've ever had.

jcren
12-09-2015, 09:37 AM
I love my RIA too. Did you consider sending it to Dougguy on here? He specializes in making chambers more cast friendly and his turnaround is much faster than factory.

Love Life
12-09-2015, 09:49 AM
Are you sure the dent is coming from the chamber, and not happening during ejection?

Tom W.
12-10-2015, 06:34 PM
I haven't had it a month yet. The dent is more like if you took a small finishing nail and hit the side of the brass with it. It's about halfway down the brass. Looking inside the case I can see where it's leaving a mark. It is not like an ejection problem. Having carried a Colt GM for forty years I've seen a lot of strange looking ejected brass, but nothing like this. My biggest concern is that the burr will poke a hole through the case when I fire it. I don't need any further excitement, and the thing is under warranty. These pistols are underrated,and anyone's product can have a problem now and then.

If the factory fixes it, but I still ain't happy, dougguy will get a p.m.

Vulcan Bob
12-12-2015, 12:01 AM
The small dent in the case is usually the case hitting the ejection port on the way out, that's why "lowering and dimpling" the ejection port is commonly done. However the chamber should not have a burr in it and I wouldn't rule it out as the cause. I have three RIA's and do like em.

OBXPilgrim
12-12-2015, 10:46 AM
Does a loaded round drop in the chamber easily (aka the plunk test)? If so,i wouldn't think it's a burr in the chamber either, but rather think it's being done during ejection.

str8wal
12-12-2015, 12:53 PM
It seems to me that a burr in the chamber would scratch the case upon chambering and not just put a small dent in the side of it.

gray wolf
12-12-2015, 01:26 PM
The small dent in the case is usually the case hitting the ejection port on the way out, that's why "lowering and dimpling" the ejection port is commonly done. However the chamber should not have a burr in it and I wouldn't rule it out as the cause. I have three RIA's and do like em.

Yup that's it

Tom W.
12-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Either way, it's on the way back to the factory.