PDA

View Full Version : Coated Boolits

sniper
12-08-2015, 11:10 PM
O.K., something has snuck in while I was sleeping, or looking the other way :veryconfu...Coated boolits? Coated with what? What are the advantages over plain cast projectiles? Are there negatives? They probably will stop leading, but do they leave a residue in the barrel that may be worse than leading? What are the pluses and negatives? Do the coatings increase boolit diameter from ~.358 to something closer to .359? Please school me!

Thanx!:cool:

bangerjim
12-09-2015, 12:10 AM
You can read the many threads on powder coating and learn all the answers to all your questions. We have spend over 3 years developing these techniques and all are documented in the alt coatings threads. Your questions would take way to long to answer.

Read......read......read. Where HAVE you been for the past 3 years?!?!?!?!?!?!?

banger

rjathon
12-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Here is a nice thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?209151-Powder-Coating-101-Electrostatic-Method\\

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?240500-a-trick-for-tumble-powder-coating/page4

dilly
12-10-2015, 12:43 PM
There is a whole subforum called Coatings and Alternatives. The stickies on that subforum are a good place to start.

Before you ask:

You still need to use gas checks for accuracy.

Your alloy should still be matched to your velocity for accuracy, though there is a bit more wiggle room.

If you load some up and they don't chamber, it's because dimension was added to the nose as well as the body of the bullet. The solution is to seat deeper or use a different design bullet.

Color doesn't matter, but different powders stick better than others in the context of tumbling without an electrostatic powder coat (ESPC) gun.

To tumble in airsoft BB's and dry powder is called BBDT.

MUSTANG
12-10-2015, 12:53 PM
You can read the many threads on powder coating and learn all the answers to all your questions. We have spend over 3 years developing these techniques and all are documented in the alt coatings threads. Your questions would take way to long to answer.

Read......read......read. Where HAVE you been for the past 3 years?!?!?!?!?!?!?

banger
Looking at the user name, could be he's been playing in a Sand Box somewhere. I know that each time when I was deployed overseas; my following reloading was significantly reduced. In fact, it was not uncommon to return to CONUS and be asked "What's your problem, have you been freeze dried the last year?" Answer in some ways is yes, the day to day life of those in our military deployed overseas has no commonality with our day to day lives in CONUS, and they loose touch with the US day to day perception of reality.

Thanks rjathon for providing a direction to sniper so he can follow the good advice of bangerjim to read.. read..read.

Love Life
12-10-2015, 12:56 PM
Sniper- You have Powder Coat (PC) and HI-TEK coatings. When I get home, I'll get some links together for you. Both are great alternatives to using regular lube, but have their own quirks. I use the coatings as another tool in the box along with still using traditional lube as needed.

paul h
12-10-2015, 01:36 PM
As someone who has just taken the powder coat plunge I'm glad to explain my thinking on why I'm trying it.

I've had mixed results on tumble lubing, and conventional grease lubes make my handguns a mess when firing 100's of rounds during a range session. I'm planning to increase my handgun shooting to upwards of 1000 rounds a month. Hence I'm looking for a lube that will work over varying ambient temperatures and one that won't leave my gun a greasy mess after each range session. I've also taken the Glock plunge and will be shooting cast but don't want to blow up my gun.

From the research I did, tumble coated powder coating seems like the best option for what I want from cast boolits in handguns. So far I haven't bee able to shoot any of the pc boolits I've prepared and my range is closed for the month of December so I won't have any results for a few more weeks.

I'm planning on rigging up an automated sizer as pc bullets still require sizing and will likely add a powder coat gun to speed production.