PDA

View Full Version : Help with 1858 Revolving Carbine

43PU
12-08-2015, 07:15 PM
I have a Uberti Revolving Carbine with an 18 inch barrel. I took it to the range just now and with 30 grn of FFF and a .451 round ball it was hitting 5 inches low at 50 yards that is with my rear sight all the way up....any ideas I can do to make this rifle shoot at least point of aim? I would like to be able to shoot out to about 100 yards with it.

I loaded it up with 30 grn of FFF(pyrodex) then seated a round ball on top, covered that with BoreButter and then primed with a #10 cap.

I do not do black powder but this little carbine caught my eye, and with 6 shots instead of 1 i think i have the advantage on season this year

Thanks for your expert opinions

43PU

fouronesix
12-08-2015, 07:45 PM
I don't have one, but judging by pictures, isn't the front sight a fairly tall blade? If so, simply file down the front a little.

docone31
12-08-2015, 08:27 PM
The ball should also be .454.

Omnivore
12-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Easy; file down the front sight until you get the POI you want, to work with the rear sight's elevation settings. And yes; you'll want .454" balls, or even .457. Which ever shoots best.

43PU; do you have a chronograph? Some of us are interested in the velocities you get from the carbine verses a regular 8" revolver.

43PU
12-08-2015, 10:28 PM
Yeah i do have a Chronogragh, i will take it out and see what it does when i get a chance

AtomHeartMother
12-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Can't remember where mine hits with the percussion cylinder in it. Seemed like I did have to tinker with elevation though not as severe as your situation. What a fun carbine ! I picked up a Howell conversion for this in 45 colt...the thing really shoots well with a 230 grain flat nose, my own cast. Low pressure loads only of course.
I ran .457's in all my 44 c&b revolvers...just a smidgen more bearing surface. Lighter loads should be more accurate but I always ran 40 grains 3f in mine (goex).

Texantothecore
12-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Yet another thread which will cost me money. I shoot c&b revolvers and the carbine has been on my mind for the past year or so. Sigh....

AtomHeartMother
12-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Yet anothe:shock:r thread which will cost me money. I shoot c&b revolvers and the carbine has been on my mind for the past year or so. Sigh....

I know what you mean...yet another I should've bought years ago when they were much cheaper. With the conversion cylinder I've got about 8 bills in mine :shock:

Grump
12-18-2015, 02:00 AM
It is pretty common for some older models of firearms to come with an extra-tall front sight, to be filed down by the end user to "regulate" the sights to the load being used.

Found out a few years ago even the USGI .30 Carbine was made that way. Explained why so many (with original unmodified front sights) shot really high like a battle rifle bolt gun on the "battle sight" setting...which no version of that Carbine ever had.