PDA

View Full Version : Guidance needed for future SS purchase

wonderwolf
04-16-2008, 01:44 AM
Working with my H&R 1871 BC in 45-70 for the past few years I've gotten just about everything I've wanted to out of it except to shoot it at longer ranges which I get the chance to a few times each year but never had ammo loaded or something else.

I'm looking at getting something a "step up" from the break open. Both in weight, quality and accuracy. I've gotten some good 200 yard results with this rifle but I owe it to myself to get something I will truly value and put time into to master the use of. I get a bonus from work in a few months so I'm planning on investing it in such a rifle

What I want to do with the rifle is casual/ and serious target work but I don't want a rifle that just looks good sitting in the safe all the time ya know? along with the possibility of shooting "old Macdonald's massacre" as I like to call it (sillywet). and throw in some hunting. I'm perfectly ok though packing a 10+ pound rifle hunting so weight is not so much an issue. Barrel weight and contour is something I'm unsure about but I like my heavy barrels with little contour, although the oct/round barrel with a wedding band looks nice!

Caliber wise I'm looking the 45-70 and 45-90 though the turn off with the 45-90 is the 2X price for brass from Starline compared to that of 45-70. I don't have dies for either (still borrowing my dads 45-70 dies heh) so either way I would eventually invest in a set. Black powder loads of course.

My choices are the

1885 High wall
1875 Sharps (shiloh is a choice, pedersoli or uberti comparable shooting wise)
Rolling block?

I'm wanting something with double set triggers and a pistol grip, shotgun style buttplate. I think those are all reasonable demands wouldn't you say?

I wouldn't mind spending the money and time for a Shiloh but I could use the money I save to put towards sights, brass etc... I might get a chance too look over their stuff at the NRA convention in KY next month so some hands on might give me a better idea what I want and am looking for. I've been reading paul matthews books and others to get a understanding of calibers, and rifle performances...now can I get your thoughts? also if you have any such rifles up for grabs feel free to let me know what you have!

carpetman
04-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Use your .25ACP---brass is real cheap.

longhorn
04-16-2008, 09:32 PM
I have an 1874, an 1885, and a roller, all in .45-70. They're all fun; the Shiloh is the real deal. Look 'em over at the NRA show. I'd stick with .45-70 unless ordering a dedicated hunting rifle for large game, but that's just me.

wonderwolf
04-19-2008, 04:32 AM
Well it seems like all the guys who seem to be taking home the bragging rights from BPCR shoots (long range) are highly recommending 45-90. NOW I have been trying to get registered on the Shiloh forums for some time now but I've been waiting almost a solid month for them to "approve" my stuff. Dunno if its been mishandled or what but I would really like to get on the Shiloh Forums and ask a good deal of Q's on such topics like the 45-90 etc.

boommer
04-19-2008, 11:04 AM
There are plenty other sites , American single shot rifle association, BPCR msn, Spg BPCR great sites without the EGO THAT SOME HAVE! 200 45-90 brass cases will run you 180.00 bucks and if you keep them soft and clean they will last a long, long time. 45-90 is a little bit more tricky to get to shoot but not that much. fouling is more of a issue and they like heavier bullets never got 405gr or such to shoot well. I use swiss 1.5 because it burns a little cleaner and about 100 fps faster then Goex it's alittle more costly but works better for me. The one thing I can say for sure is shotgun butt, rifle choice they are all good, I like highwalls.

Jon K
04-19-2008, 11:19 AM
As far as Shiloh Forum registration goes give Lucinda a call and tell her that you haven't recieved confirmation, she will fix it or have you send again.

45-70 vs 45-90 it's your choice, but 45-70 components are more affordable and available, if budget crunch is a concern. I have both, and feel both are different. Do a lot of research and make your decision on what matters to YOU.

Good Luck,

Jon

wonderwolf
04-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Well as of right now the only limiting factor with the 45-90 is brass. I've annealed my 45-70 from time to time to keep it soft and very usable. casting lots of heavier bullets won't be a problem at least right now. I have a good reliable source of soft lead that is perfect for paper patched bullets. The one mold I would like to have cut just for this project is something along the lines of this. I think its an original sharps design or a close take on one but I'm not sure.

leadman
05-13-2008, 02:12 AM
I have a Pedersolli Rolling Block, Creedmore model, in 40-65. This is a very accurate gun with either 400 gr or the 265gr CGC pistol bullet. I bought it from Cabela's before they had a store in Az..

Even though it has a single trigger it is crisp and fairly light, never measured poundage.

Nardoo
05-13-2008, 04:32 AM
I shoot both a 45/90 and a pair of 45/70's. They all shoot fine and are particularly partial to the 480 gn Saeco bullet, though other types do OK as well. I like the Sharps configuration but have also had rollers and Martinis; and I still use a Ruger #1 for hunting.
Go shoot a few at your local club and one will emerge as a favourite. They are all good and great fun. For accuracy the action is probably not as important as the barrel - and most of those are great.
The secret for finding accurate loads for me has been compression. Assuming good bullets and some consistancy in your loading regime, finding the powder compression that works in that individual rifle will allow it to deliver its optimum accuracy. For my rifles that seems to be 10 shot groups of 1 1/2 inches at 100 yds. At 200 yds the groups look even better.
No doubt they could do better but I can't.
Good luck with your quest.

Nardoo

Don McDowell
05-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Go to CSharps web site and look at the 1875 sporting and taget model. Order it with the deluxe sights, and its about 1700, add the single set trigger for another 150, or just have them tune the single trigger down to about 2 lbs.

I don't think I loose anything by staying with the 45-70. If I leave my powder measure set for the 70 gr of Goex cartridge load, but fill the hopper with 3f express it drops 73 grs into the case and that sends a 530 gr bullet out the barrel of my 75 at 1275, squarely in 45-90 country.

NickSS
05-13-2008, 08:40 PM
I have several 45-70 rifles that I use for target shooting as well as a couple of High Walls and a rolling block. Some have double set triggers, some single set triggers and some no set triggers and they all shoot extreamly well. I have a Uberti Sharps (made by pedersoli for them as marked under the forestock) in 45-70 It will shoot as good as I can shoot. I also have Shiloh and C. Sharps 1874s and C. Sharps 1875 modles that also shoot well. My favorit rifle is a C. Sharps 1875 Busness rifle (they don't make this model anymore) in 45-70 with a 28 inch heavy round barrel. I have over 5000 rounds through it and it shoots as good as I can out to 800 yards which is as far as I have shot it. If I was looking for one rifle to buy and use It probably would be an 1874 Sharps in 45-70 made by Shiloh, C. Sharps or Pedersoli in that order of preference. Shiloh has absolutely the best fit and finish. C. Sharps is close except their idea of wood quality is one step below what Shiloh uses for the same grade. Pedersoli makes a fine product that shoots well and looks good but it is not exactly like the original sharps in contour around the action.

If you want just a great rifle buy a C. Sharps High Wall. My latest one is a pistol gripped single set trigger rifle which likes to shoot groups around one moa every time I shoot it. It is in 40-65 Caliber which is good for silhouette and hunting anything up to elk.

EDG
05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
For silhouettes a rifle close to the weight limit of about 12 lbs is more comfy to shoot. But it is way too heavy to hunt with unless you only have a short hike to make.
I have both Sharps and Highwalls. The double set trigger is nice for touching off a shot. Other than that I find the Sharps tedious to pull to half cock, open, unload, reload, pull the hammer to full cock, pull the rear trigger, aim and finally pull the front trigger to shoot.
If I had to choose one or the other I would take the Highwall with a good single trigger.

wonderwolf
05-13-2008, 11:44 PM
Ah I see the thread is still alive.

I actually picked up a pedersoli sharps two or so weeks ago on a whim after I got a email about a guy north of me that had one for sale.

Its everything I've wanted and more!

Took it out to the range and shot out at 200 yards with it the weekend of a High power rifle training camp I helped coach. Did 10 aimed shots in just over 60 seconds with it as well. Only thing I might change is the style of the front sight though I'll try some of the different inserts that came with the set to see if I can get rid of the heavy marage that shows up after a bit of shooting. It REALLY likes my paper patched bullets at 200 yards as I beat up the X ring after the 2nd shot we just kinda pounded it. The trainees could hardly believe that a 21 year old tall skinny kid was shooting this big 45-70 after I just got done coaching them how to shoot .223 and 30/06 at that range. It is kinda fun to show some of those guys that just because the design is older than them and me put together it still does better than most.

For pics and a full write up check out my web sight that is linked in my signature line. I think its the 2nd or 3rd article down.