PDA

View Full Version : Throat reamer?

Tackleberry41
12-08-2015, 05:56 PM
Finished chambering my 30-30 today, a stub barrel in a Rossi. Still some work to do, but could at least fire it. Realized pretty quick it has no throat, factory ammo will fit, but not anything else. It has a 1-8 twist barrel for heavy subsonic use. But a 230gr bullet is never going to chamber in it, even the stubby 198gr NOE will only fit if the base is well below the neck. So it needs to be throated.

This is what I need to rent? http://4-dproducts.com/displayitem.php?rowid=357&tname=rental

DougGuy
12-08-2015, 06:22 PM
You need to know what diameter it will finish at before you commit to it. If you want to load boolits at .309" then the reamer needs to be able to finish at .3095" or better. For .311" it has to finish at least that much or larger.

rockrat
12-08-2015, 07:14 PM
I think all you need is a throat reamer as your neck is aready cut.

PM me

Tackleberry41
12-08-2015, 08:36 PM
http://4-dproducts.com/displayitem.php?rowid=356&tname=rental

No specs, guess I would have to ask them. Cast I can load either way, have .309, .311 and .314 molds I bought for my mosin.

Or I can buy one, probably find use in another 30 cal project. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/712693/ptg-uni-throater-hand-throating-reamer-30-caliber-high-speed-steel

DougGuy
12-08-2015, 09:05 PM
If you know what your bore diameter is, then you can order a throating reamer from Dave Manson with one removable pilot bushing (the same as bore diameter) and ask for a minimum diameter, and for Dave himself to pick it out. Let's say a .300" pin gage goes in the bore but it goes a little too easy. So you try a .3005" and it's *just* right, you have to wiggle it to get it to go in. THIS is the important part of a reamer. You won't get this at Midway, you will get it from Dave. You call Dave and discuss matters with him and you get a .30 caliber RIFLE throater that measures closest to but not smaller than .3095" (IF you want to size and load .309" boolits) and you get it with the .3005" pilot bushing. The solid nose reamers are all way too small to assure concentricity when you ream the throat. If you get one at Midway, chances are it will have a .297" or .298" pilot which IMO is inexcusable when you are doing custom work and want the results to be worth the effort and expense.

Here is a SAAMI chamber drawing for .308 Winchester and another one for 30-30 Winchester. Since they are very comparable in chamber dimensions and could use the same throating reamer for either cartridge, I have included both.

.308 Winchester:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Reloading/SAAMI_308Win_zps9xf5skkj.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Reloading/SAAMI_308Win_zps9xf5skkj.jpg.html)

.30-30 Winchester:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Reloading/30-30%20Winchester_zpssogyvdjt.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Reloading/30-30%20Winchester_zpssogyvdjt.jpg.html)

Also, note that a throating reamer is just that. It ONLY cuts the throat, which would be the freebore from the case mouth, and the leade in to the rifling. It does not cut the part where the case neck rests, this would be the job of a finishing reamer. Two totally different animals.

Tackleberry41
12-09-2015, 09:00 AM
The neck is fine, it loads a factory 30-30, just zero throat. I expected the reamer to cut a min spec chamber. The stuff I have neck sized for my other 30-30 wont even come close to chambering, shoulder is to far forward. But that rifle will take the same cast bullets pushed out further. It wasn't much more to buy a manson throating reamer than it was to rent one.

gnoahhh
12-09-2015, 02:35 PM
I too have encountered this dilemma. I bought a custom .30 throater with a 1½º included angle taper, .3100 throat. As stated the removable pilot on it is a blessing, as indeed bore diameters are all over the map. I got a set of pilots, that ranged from .298 to .301 in .0005 increments and was able to pick and choose which one was a perfect fit in each barrel. If you go that route, be aware that it'll cut a loooong leade but that was what I was after for the two rifles I subjected it to (200 grain+ bullets with long bore rider noses).

You can take it a step further and use said reamer to make a custom nose bump die with which to swage your bullet noses for a perfect fit in the new leade. It made for a decided improvement in accuracy- nothing like a tapered "plug" fitting in a hole exactly tapered to match it for nigh perfect centering. I learned that trick from John Ardito, a luminary in the early years of the CBA.

Antietamgw
12-16-2015, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=gnoahhh;3463416]I too have encountered this dilemma. I bought a custom .30 throater with a 1½º included angle taper, .3100 throat. As stated the removable pilot on it is a blessing, as indeed bore diameters are all over the map. QUOTE]

I've been considering ordering a removeable pilot reamer or having a fixed pilot throating reamer I already have ( 3 degree included, I believe) altered to removeable. I am getting ready to chamber a couple projects with a Manson .32 H&R reamer. This reamer cuts body and rim only with a 25 degree (included) transition from the case neck. It uses removeable pilots, pretty much necessary considering the wide variation in bore sizes it might be crammed in to. I'll need to to throat seperately.

I figured this throating reamer could be very handy on a wide range of 30 cal barrels I have, a number of which are Marlin 336's chambered in .30-30. We have a bunch of them and enjoy family plinking get togethers. I have a couple plinking loads that work across the board but I need to full length size cases and bullets are seated a bit shorter than optimal for some of the chambers/throats. It would be real nice to have 1 load that fits all the chambers/throats a bit better. I've run into the issue Tackleberry41 found with case length from base to shoulder variations, causing me to full length size cases to push the shoulder back closer to factory specs in order to suit the shortest chamber. I have very seriously considered having a chambering reamer ground (or remove the rim cut on an existing reamer) so that I could move the shoulder a bit forward, making that dimension consistant in all the chambers. I believe the mild pressure loads would then only require minimal or maybe just neck sizing and fit all the chambers closer. Hunting loads are fit to each rifle and stay with them but I don't want to have to do that with the plinking loads. Any thoughts? Wasted effort?

nekshot
12-16-2015, 01:53 PM
I am very keen on this as I am no machinist fella but was tempted to buy a chamber reamer off ebay and grind the chamber back just to get the throat lengthened. Very interested on the taper(plug) idea. You all that know how keep talking!

kywoodwrkr
12-17-2015, 05:04 PM
The neck is fine, it loads a factory 30-30, just zero throat. I expected the reamer to cut a min spec chamber. The stuff I have neck sized for my other 30-30 wont even come close to chambering, shoulder is to far forward. But that rifle will take the same cast bullets pushed out further. It wasn't much more to buy a manson throating reamer than it was to rent one.
Sir,
You have a PM incoming.
Thanks.