PDA

View Full Version : What You Should Do in an Active Shooter Situation

abunaitoo
12-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Saw this on Yahoo news.
One option they don't list is we should all have is to just shoot back.
I'm sure this would stop lots of these "things" from even thinking about doing it.

Stupid me, I forgot to post the link.
https://www.yahoo.com/health/what-you-should-do-in-1316345553666102.html

RogerDat
12-08-2015, 02:27 PM
You neglected to put in the Yahoo news link or paste in the information.

But yeah when I saw the thread title first thing that came to mind was "stop the SOB by whatever means necessary". Double tap is good if you don't care if they live, follow up with a third round if you find yourself really offended by people that attack unarmed men women and children for no reason.

C. Latch
12-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Running is the first and best option; if that isn't available, hiding somewhere secure is the next option; if that isn't available, fight back.

There is no fourth option.

Vann
12-08-2015, 04:20 PM
To be honest I hope who ever tries to stop the gunmen has at least a little common sense. I'm sure that most of the members of this forum know when to shoot and when not too, but the average John Smith walking around in all his velcro covered, tactical garb needs to be aware of his target and his surroundings. Unfortunately I don't have much faith in most of the people I see at gun ranges. On more than one occasion I've overheard conversations that where so stupid that it was unbelievable.

Not trying to rant, but I'm sure that some of you understand what I'm saying. Just because someone has a gun doesn't always mean that they are qualified to use it. Imagine the story they'd print after someone steps into something like a gas station holdup. That's a hard situation to decide if you need to interven or sit back and let happen.

Well, Mister tacticool jumps in gun blazing, and when it's all over he kills a kid with a bb gun and sprays a mini van in the parking lot full of kids... I'm just saying it can happen.

paul h
12-08-2015, 09:56 PM
To be honest I hope who ever tries to stop the gunmen has at least a little common sense. I'm sure that most of the members of this forum know when to shoot and when not too, but the average John Smith walking around in all his velcro covered, tactical garb needs to be aware of his target and his surroundings. Unfortunately I don't have much faith in most of the people I see at gun ranges. On more than one occasion I've overheard conversations that where so stupid that it was unbelievable.

Not trying to rant, but I'm sure that some of you understand what I'm saying. Just because someone has a gun doesn't always mean that they are qualified to use it. Imagine the story they'd print after someone steps into something like a gas station holdup. That's a hard situation to decide if you need to interven or sit back and let happen.

Well, Mister tacticool jumps in gun blazing, and when it's all over he kills a kid with a bb gun and sprays a mini van in the parking lot full of kids... I'm just saying it can happen.

I think most of the wanna be GI-Joes would wet their pants and hide like a little girl in an active shooter situation.

How I would react depends entirely on the situation, and I can't say exactly how I'd react until God forbid I'm in such a situation. I think often times when one finds oneself in a bad situation there is a period of disbelief that the event is occurring. Then you come to terms with your options and hopefully you can take some sort of defensive or offensive action to end the situation.

nagantguy
12-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Aquire cover and or concealment, check your 6 then center mass, front sight ........

Outpost75
12-08-2015, 10:16 PM
First thoughts for many here are probably about carrying your concealed weapon.

Not an option in many places. So, while altogether not a bad thing, honestly...think about the scenario in another way...

How many here have brushed up on their trauma management and actually carry a "blow-out" kit and some trauma supplies?

GSWs are not the primary injury. Instead try Googling “blast injuries”

Suppose you walk upon the cafe after being rocked by the blast wave from just around the corner of a building, are you comfortable that you would know what to do and start giving aid?

Gun Owning Americans envision themselves as being the Hero Shooter ready to take down the bad guy and prep for such...

VERY few of those same dudes have trained and prepped for trauma management, where they may actually have a daily chance to actually apply those skills in a realistic random incident such as a vehicle accident…

So, when was your last first aid class? To what level are you trained? Is your certification current?

When was the last time you actually increased your level of medical training? To what level?

Suppose your are the first arriving on scene on a lonely road where one of MY loved ones is injured....

Could you do more than just call 911?

Other considerations:

1) How do you avoid being shot by the police SWAT team when they arrive and see you with drawn gun or "pawing" at a victim? (Put gun DOWN!, hands up, go prone, yell "USA FRIENDLY" and lie face down until taken into custody and cuffed, which you WILL be.)

2) How do you decide that the violence is over and that it's safe to leave cover? A secondary device set to go off as rescuers arrive is a common tactic to maximize victim numbers.

3) Basic Life Support Ambulances are not stocked for mass casualty, blast injury events......a multi-vehicle MVA with multiple traumas will rapidly trash an EMS unit...a typical hospital ER hit with a mass-casualty incident gets overwhelmed quickly.

4) Consider that the best case is not ten “good guys” with guns, who show up on each scene a day late and a dollar short. Despite good intentions they only get in the way. If you are there and armed when it goes down, fight to the death and take some with you. Now for motivation consider that the “bad” guys are all wearing their “one way ticket” vest...So, have a nice day!

5) In reality the best case scenario is to have ten "good guys" who are recent military vets having completed Army Combat Lifesaver training who carry a well thought out IFAK, and are trained knowing how to best deploy and triage victims for the EMS transport.

Now, ALL OF YOU HERE READING THIS, DO THE SELF-STUDY!!!

https://www.mtu.edu/arotc/cadet-portal/docs/ISO871_Student_Self_Study.pdf

Vann
12-08-2015, 11:31 PM
I believe Outpost 75 hit the nail on the head. All I can say is I hope I'm never in that situation. There is a big difference between shooting a paper target and having to react to an evolving situation. Bad choices can be made in a split second, that can take a lifetime to repay.

Geezer in NH
12-08-2015, 11:40 PM
To be PC drop to your knees, place head down onto your arms and accept whatever comes. The Current administration will thank you. [sarcasm /off]

Run if by yourself and with who will also run with you. When the ones with you cannot run and are yours, protect them till your death. IMHO protection includes firing back with deadly force.

Artful
12-09-2015, 01:21 AM
https://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/active_shooter_booklet.pdf

https://www.yahoo.com/health/what-you-should-do-in-1316345553666102.html

Your chances of encountering a shooting are small, but be prepared with expert advice. (Yahoo Health/iStock)

In the 1960s, when the U.S. feared nuclear destruction, the civil defense directive was “Duck and cover.” In case of fire, we all remember learning to “Stop. Drop. Roll.” In the wake of yet another mass shooting and widespread public anxiety, the plan is: “Run. Hide. Fight.”
“Run. Hide. Fight.” was coined and trademarked by the Houston Mayor’s Office of Public Safety and Homeland Security, which produced a video that instructs citizens how to handle an active shooting situation. The video was released on the heels of the 2012 movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colo., that killed 12. Since then, the English version — it’s also available in Spanish, Chinese, and Vietnamese — has been viewed almost 4 million times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0

Let’s be clear: Your chances of encountering an active shooting situation are minuscule. Grant Duwe, PhD, author of Mass Murder in the United States: A History (http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Murder-United-States-History/dp/0786431504/), calculates that the risk (https://reason.com/archives/2014/10/28/the-truth-about-mass-public-shootings#.05b7yvn:8uIp) is about the same as being struck by lightning, he told the Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/no-rise-mass-killings-impact-huge-article-1.1221062).

Related: Are Mass Shootings Really on the Rise — Or Do We Just Think They Are? (https://www.yahoo.com/health/are-mass-shootings-really-on-1296370046861366.html)

Still, recent mass shootings in Paris, Colorado Springs, and San Bernardino have us on edge. Nothing calms nerves and stems panic better than preparation, experts say.
“In life-and-death situations like a terrorist shooting, one should plan, practice, and visualize how one would react,” Eric Zillmer, professor of psychology at Drexel University in Philadelphia and editor of Military Psychology, tells Yahoo Health. “The idea is to make one’s response more automatic so one would not have to ‘think,’ which is difficult under extreme stress. The more prepared you are, the quicker you can react.”
Here’s a primer on what you should do during an active shooting event. Our advice: Practice. Practice. Practice.
RunAlways know the exit or stairwell nearest to your office or desk. Pay extra attention to how to get out of the building during any office fire drills. The second you hear the first pop-pop-pop of gunfire, leave the building. Fast.

Take nothing — you’ll retrieve your purse or laptop later — and wait for no one, experts say.
“Run as fast as you can, warning people on your way out the door,” Jason Porter, a regional managing director for the Pinkerton (http://www.pinkerton.com/) risk and security company, tells Yahoo Health. “Don’t let other people slow you down.”
HideIf you can’t get out of the building:

Hide in a room with, preferably, a door that locks.
Turn off lights.
Push heavy objects against the door.
Silence cellphones.
Keep quiet.

If you can’t find a place to duck into or under, and you can hear gunshots, curl up into the “smallest possible target,” Frank Scafidi, an FBI agent for 20 years, tells Yahoo Health. “Firing is generally done from the hip. If someone has an automatic weapon and is sweeping back and forth, it’s better to be as low to the ground as you can be.”
FightIf all else fails, fight for your life. Grab anything you can hurl at the attacker — a chair, fire extinguisher, stapler, even a cellphone — and wait for the moment he or she hesitates to, say, reload. The moment the attacker pauses, you attack.
“This isn’t a schoolyard fight; it’s someone coming to kill you,” says Porter. “You need to commit to fighting to the finish.” The Paris train attack heroes rushed the gunman in a group and didn’t stop until they had subdued him. One of them, Anthony Sadler, who is a college student from California, told NBC that (http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/french-train-attack/french-train-attack-hero-we-did-whatever-we-could-disarm-n420621)“we just did whatever we could to disarm him.”

RogerDat
12-09-2015, 02:03 AM
The people that think about a bad situation or disaster before hand and have even a rough plan are the ones most likely to accomplish their goal, the goal usually being to survive, protect or aid as appropriate. People that count the seat rows between them and the exits on an airplane, or scope out the map of fire exits in a motel (you know on the back of every door) and then look at the hall for those exits are the most likely to survive an emergency landing or motel fire.

Denial is one common response. So is freezing, screaming in panic or doing something "normal" but totally inappropriate. A large percentage of people that are in a plane emergency landing knowing they "should get off the plane" stand up and try to get their luggage as the plane fills up with smoke. Simply put the brain already has a "plan" for getting off the plane so when confused it pulls the known plan out and implements it. Getting your luggage and leaving is the known plan but totally inappropriate. Training or forethought is when you give your brain a better and more specific plan. This avoids being the person sitting in a motel room trying to call the front desk because you smell and see smoke in the hallway. Even after a fire alarm goes off people often stick with the already implemented and "known plan" of something is wrong you call the front desk.

Your brain is your best tool and in an ideal world you supply training to put a good sharp edge on that tool. You provide a plan for how to use that sharp tool. Which is exactly how I read what outpost75 posted. Spot on.

If you carry a weapon you have created the situation where you have to decide when and if to use that weapon. Better think about how that might play out beforehand. Carry a first aid kit you have some of the same moral obligations to consider since you now have the ability to take action.

The counter intuitive can sometimes be the best choice. A home invader holding you at gun point goes to rape your daughter your gut says attack, but jumping out the window may well offer a better chance of protecting your family. A shot fired that does not leave you incapacitated forces the intruder to flee or face possibility of your getting help, assuming the fired shot has not already attracted attention. Attacking and getting killed means killer will probably execute the rest of family to avoid witnesses.

With an active shooter or multiple shooters and yourself armed you may well want to consider if shooting them in a crowd of civilians will work better than shooting over everyone's head from cover and forcing the shooter to engage you and stop killing people. Many of these incidents only last a few minutes before police arrive, if the person is shooting at you for 3 minutes that is a lot of people not getting killed. You shoot toward a crowd you have to accept the risk of hitting innocent bystanders, if nothing else from a through and through shot on a bad guy.

One reason I always address law enforcement as officer, trooper, sir or mam is because they go to work every day accepting all of these scenarios on our behalf and on that basis alone deserve to be addressed with respect.

abunaitoo
12-09-2015, 02:39 AM
If it's a "Gun Free Zone" why would we need to worry about it?????:bigsmyl2:

Blackwater
12-09-2015, 09:40 AM
+1 with Outpost, Vann and Roger Dat. Excellent points. Most folks are so busy with the mundane, they forget what's really important until something happens, and then, the typical reaction is ... INaction - the deer in the headlights look along with (usually) the thought that "this can't be happening." That's not a very good way to survive, but it's what most folks do.

One other thing that I've kind'a thought of is the possibility, from the active shooter's perspective, that he'll aim first for those who seem to be reacting best, and save the inactive ones for later disposal. This puts extra pressure on the ones who DO react appropriately, making it MUCH harder to be effective. This assumes that the active shooter is intelligent enough to react this way, which isn't a certainty, but we can't afford to discount the possibility of that.

So, I think it's really a lot tougher than most of us will ever envision. And riskier than we want to think. That's where courage and simple determination can make the difference. Most people don't even know how to defend themselves these days, and those who kind'a do don't really envision it being as needful of simple courage, determination and instant reaction as they really are. Any hesitation can get you killed.

As a probation officer, I did presentence investigations that gave me a lot of insight into how people typically react to dangerous situations, and it's really all over the place. Some charge when they should have run. Some run when they should have charged, and it all seems to be dependent mostly on what kind of MOOD folks were in when the incidents happened, and what their mindset was at that moment. There's little time to think, but little time isn't NO time, and you really need to think and decide really quickly. Most simply aren't prepared for that simply because they're not used to that. It essentially, then, mostly revolves around one's lifestyle and attitude, though most would discount these as being relative at all. But they are.

Also, it's critical that if you make a mistake, that you accept it instantly and do something else that promises better results. Some people survive simply by being persistent and flexible and never giving up or giving in.

It's an awfully humbling and leveling thing to be in that type of situation. I wish you luck if it ever happens to you. And stamina!

fecmech
12-09-2015, 11:30 AM
Getting your luggage and leaving is the known plan but totally inappropriate.
Exactly what happened to the aircraft that caught fire on the ramp recently. People were photographed walking away from escape slides with carry on luggage!

tygar
12-09-2015, 11:43 AM
There's a lot of us old fat guys that have lots of combat experience & carry guns. I think if the scumbags happen to do their thing & we are around, the scenario will be a lot different. We may be slower but I'll guarantee we're just as mean & you don't forget how to kill. Plus most of them, like me, probably practice alot & are always in the "Sheepdog" mode.

GRUMPA
12-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Things like that I don't give any thought too. If I did that word "Premeditated" gets used a lot in court.

ole 5 hole group
12-09-2015, 12:57 PM
GI Joe's and wanabees - as long as they're carrying in an "active shooter situation" and get in the fight - I'll love them like a brother and they will no longer be wanabees or GI Joes, as they would have earned the title of Warrior.

Love Life
12-09-2015, 01:01 PM
I have been trained to run away screaming. Seems legit.

MUSTANG
12-09-2015, 01:10 PM
There's a lot of us old fat guys that have lots of combat experience & carry guns. I think if the scumbags happen to do their thing & we are around, the scenario will be a lot different. We may be slower but I'll guarantee we're just as mean & you don't forget how to kill. Plus most of them, like me, probably practice alot & are always in the "Sheepdog" mode.

As I age I am slower and have a few aches and groans, but the 1911 .45ACP 230 FMJ still consistently plods around at about 850FPS.

oldred
12-09-2015, 01:17 PM

Exactly what I was thinking and as much as I am pro public carry, open or concealed, I worry about what would happen in a situation where an active shooter is confronted by one of these Rambo wannabes who may do as much or more damage than the shooter him/her self! If it ever happens that significant collateral damage occurs when an armed citizen confronts a crazed shooter that will do more damage to out 2nd amendment rights and our ability to defend ourselves than all the shootings that have happened so far! Not sure what the answer would be for that scenario as far as prevention but some of these guys who live in that fantasy "tacti-cool" world (I know two personally who are perfect examples) are a bigger danger to our rights in such a situation that the shooters themselves!

Love Life
12-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Just don't be like the CCW holder who tried to intervene at the Walmart shooting.

A) Violence of action
B) Commit and stay committed
C) Second guess afterwards
D) Good luck

I have no plans or plans of action for an active shooter scenario. I'll react as the situation dictates, unless I get perforated first.

ETA: It's not just the Rambo wannabes who suck. Plenty of good ol' boys give epic fail proof at the 7 yd pistol line and 50 yd rifle line every weekend.

Vann
12-09-2015, 02:29 PM
ETA: It's not just the Rambo wannabes who suck. Plenty of good ol' boys give epic fail proof at the 7 yd pistol line and 50 yd rifle line every weekend.

Yep, and if you need proof just watch the gun fails on YouTube.

I'm not going to brag about my shooting abilities, but I will say I have a little smidgen of common sense.

dtknowles
12-09-2015, 04:29 PM
I don't even carry a bandaid in my wallet anymore. I have a almost useless first aid kit in my truck. Yes, I watched the video and took the course at work for both active shooter and first aid/CPR/PED training.

Civilian armed at an active shooter crime scene is likely a target for law enforcement even if he has saved a bunch of lives. Egress the scene ASAP even if you have a weapon or stay and try to be a hero. You make the call.

Tim

ole 5 hole group
12-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Civilian armed at an active shooter crime scene is likely a target for law enforcement even if he has saved a bunch of lives. Egress the scene ASAP even if you have a weapon or stay and try to be a hero. You make the call.Tim

If I just happen to be carrying that day and they come a knocking - I think I'll stick around, as john law won't be coming for at least 20 minutes and it'll be over one way or another in less than 120 very long seconds.

shooter93
12-09-2015, 08:51 PM
If it is an active shooter situation....meaning someone is already slaughtering people left and right.....shoot the shooter as quickly as possible.

OS OK
12-09-2015, 09:59 PM

"Too much talk…too many what-ifs…waaay tooo much 'Fear Factor' being broadcast...brainy people dominate the conversation with their statistics and woe…they do this and in so many instances it's the sheep 'baahing' at the sheep…bend over, hide and kiss your grass goodbye…
Sheepdogs are born with the instinct to react…when those dogs are vets, it is all the better…what they have learned in service is difficult to convey to someone who has not marched in their boots. In the mind of that dog…he has been there done that..don't yank his chain! He is prepared to sacrifice his life for his fellow man and that is not the issue in his/her mind…it is not a consideration.
In the sad event when this happens again, and only when a CCW does react…chances are he/she will be a vet.! Wonder how the news will handle that?
Heroes don't do it for accolades or medals…they are just made that way…it is completely normal for them.
And yes…they are capable of seeing after the wounded."

Semper Fi is not just a saying…it is a characteristic. charlie

leeggen
12-09-2015, 11:19 PM
Several, in the San. Cal killings, survivers said well when I first heard the pop,pop, pop, I thought it was just another training drill, simular to the other ones we had. Sometimes over practicing drills can cause people to get killed cause they delay the exiting phase. All of us react to differant stimulous. Some find safe space ASAP. Others have to access the sounds and sight then their brain says run. Every second you pause you come closer to being the statistic, but you don't want to just runoff any direction crying for help. You have to think your actions thru in that fraction of a second. I don't know if I would stay and bring the fight to the bad guy or try to find high ground. Hope I don't have to decide, but god willing I will do the right thing at the right time.
CD

Schrag4
12-09-2015, 11:42 PM
There's a lot of hand-wringing over an armed civilian being confused as the shooter, or over the fact that many gun owners have a hard time hitting a close stationary target with all the time in the world. To me it's sort of like saying you won't wear a parachute because you might get strangled by the lines or end up landing on a power substation.

Most of us could use more training and practice, myself included. Some who own guns for self defense barely know how to load them. I don't discourage those people from protecting themselves, rather I encourage them to learn and to practice. We all had to start somewhere. The defeatist talk is nothing but ammo for the anti-gun agenda, IMO.

freebullet
12-10-2015, 12:05 AM
The easiest way to win a gun fight is not be in one!
Should you find yourself in one in an involuntary manner I guess you'd probably want to have one too.
Hard focus on the front sight!

Jeff82
12-10-2015, 12:37 PM
Running is the first and best option; if that isn't available, hiding somewhere secure is the next option; if that isn't available, fight back.

There is no fourth option.
+1, liability being what it is.

MUSTANG
12-10-2015, 12:41 PM
"Too much talk…too many what-ifs…waaay tooo much 'Fear Factor' being broadcast...brainy people dominate the conversation with their statistics and woe…they do this and in so many instances it's the sheep 'baahing' at the sheep…bend over, hide and kiss your grass goodbye…
Sheepdogs are born with the instinct to react…when those dogs are vets, it is all the better…what they have learned in service is difficult to convey to someone who has not marched in their boots. In the mind of that dog…he has been there done that..don't yank his chain! He is prepared to sacrifice his life for his fellow man and that is not the issue in his/her mind…it is not a consideration.
In the sad event when this happens again, and only when a CCW does react…chances are he/she will be a vet.! Wonder how the news will handle that?
Heroes don't do it for accolades or medals…they are just made that way…it is completely normal for them.
And yes…they are capable of seeing after the wounded."

Semper Fi is not just a saying…it is a characteristic. charlie

+1.

Semper Fi.

gwpercle
12-10-2015, 02:00 PM
I was quite amused at the "training" that the San Bernardino Board Of Health employee's were given in the case of an active shooter....
" get under the table, be quite and don't call attention to yourself"....Sounds like the instructions we were given in grade school in case of a nuke bomb attack..."take any sharp objects from your pockets and get under your desk"....
Both totaly useless and ineffective. One emplyee said " there wasn't any place to hide. "
Just being still gave the shooters a better chance to shoot you, if I can't shoot back....a moving target might be harder to hit.
Turkey shoot for sure.
Gary

C. Latch
12-10-2015, 02:17 PM
https://www.facebook.com/theblaze/videos/1022934111077262/?theater

troyboy
12-10-2015, 06:19 PM
Impossible to say.

dtknowles
12-10-2015, 06:26 PM
I was quite amused at the "training" that the San Bernardino Board Of Health employee's were given in the case of an active shooter....
" get under the table, be quite and don't call attention to yourself"....Sounds like the instructions we were given in grade school in case of a nuke bomb attack..."take any sharp objects from your pockets and get under your desk"....
Both totaly useless and ineffective. One emplyee said " there wasn't any place to hide. "
Just being still gave the shooters a better chance to shoot you, if I can't shoot back....a moving target might be harder to hit.
Turkey shoot for sure.
Gary

You got to get the birds to flush to get a shot at them.

Tim

starmac
12-10-2015, 09:40 PM
You got to get the birds to flush to get a shot at them.

Tim

Not if you are after meat.

LynC2
12-10-2015, 10:32 PM
My perspective is that if I am in a situation that is only a property crime I am not going to get involved if possible. It just isn't worth the potential problems that could arise; however if it is a situation where someone's life is in danger I will respond to the best of my ability. I don't consider myself to be a great pistol shot, but am confident I can easily outshoot the average police officer which is probably not saying much. ;)

starmac
12-10-2015, 11:20 PM
My take is an active shooter is just that, not someone holding a gun for the purpose of robbery. In the case of a nutcase gunning down everybody he can, I would hope any armed person would try open up on him, without nworrying about what ifs until it is all over.

TXGunNut
12-10-2015, 11:50 PM
My active shooter training is a bit old and probably outdated but at any rate I won't reveal what I've learned or planned on an open forum. Two things that we all need to think about, you need to have action plans for this scenario and some must include the possibility that you won't be able to return fire, for whatever reason.
To paraphrase an old saying: if you get in a gun fight plan on getting shot. Just be sure your plans also include killing the miscreant who shot you and of course, surviving your wounds. Most handgun wounds are survivable and many rifle wounds are as well. The wrong mental mindset is often fatal even when the wounds are not.
And no, I'm no armchair commando. I do, however, have a little experience with putting bad guys on the ground quickly and decisively without firing a shot.

leadman
12-12-2015, 12:48 AM
I have been close to an active shooter and also had someone firing at me during an elk hunt on the Indian Reservation here in Az. No opportunity to get involved in the first one but I did trail the guy shooting at me for about a mile before he left in a vehicle. At the first shot I hid, the second shot confirmed where he was so I started stalking him but never got close enough to shoot back. Where we were at any type of help was too far away and we were out of cell phone range. The Indian Police did not seem to care as I did not get hit.
My wife and I camp a lot in the motor home where help is not readily available so my thoughts on this for protection is one of my revolvers that I can hit a man with up to about 100 yards and a rifle in the motor home. While not mass shooting there have been a few in campgrounds along with the escaped prisoners that killed the couple traveling with a travel trailer that they kidnapped from a rest area.
Really sucks having to think about someone trying to kill innocents but best to be prepared.

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2015, 09:46 AM
I tell my wife this. First option and the best is to get out of dodge. If that's not possible make yourself the smallest target possible using cover or by at least getting low. If your not running your gun is out and if your gun is out when your mind says shoot don't hesitate. Its not the time to mull over the ethics of what your about to do. Shoot and keep shooting till the target isn't even squirming. after the shooting is over kneel and stay that way till the police show up and when they show up lay your handgun on the floor out of reach.

jonp
12-13-2015, 09:48 AM
1) Leave the area as fast as possible
2) Hide in a room/closet etc until the situation is under control by the police
3) Prepare to shoot back and defend anyone with you if #2 is your option. If #2 is taken then try to have as many people as possible with you so you can attempt to defend them. It's the right thing to do but always protect yourself first.

BrassMagnet
12-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Exactly what I was thinking and as much as I am pro public carry, open or concealed, I worry about what would happen in a situation where an active shooter is confronted by one of these Rambo wannabes who may do as much or more damage than the shooter him/her self! If it ever happens that significant collateral damage occurs when an armed citizen confronts a crazed shooter that will do more damage to out 2nd amendment rights and our ability to defend ourselves than all the shootings that have happened so far! Not sure what the answer would be for that scenario as far as prevention but some of these guys who live in that fantasy "tacti-cool" world (I know two personally who are perfect examples) are a bigger danger to our rights in such a situation that the shooters themselves!

I do believe the threat level has now changed drastically due to all of the muslim jihadis described as Syrian refugees.

Check out this link to an article by Matt Bracken:

http://gatesofvienna.net/2015/11/tet-take-two-islams-2016-european-offensive/

That exact training video was mandatory for me at work. I work in one of those "gun free" zones with no guards, just possible victims.

TXGunNut
12-13-2015, 03:18 PM
I feel pretty sure terrorist acts will be happening more frequently, my strategy of avoiding gun-free zones means there are places I want to go but won't because of silly anti-gun bias.

BrassMagnet
12-13-2015, 03:25 PM
I feel pretty sure terrorist acts will be happening more frequently, my strategy of avoiding gun-free zones means there are places I want to go but won't because of silly anti-gun bias.

It is making me think more and more about retiring early and so what about the major reduction in retirement pay.

dkf
12-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Hmm, I thought you were supposed to blow your rape whistle then pee.

popper
12-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Little off subject but saw on the news last nite, hatchet wielding nut case chopping up cars in Denton, Tx (uber-liberal school town). Interviewee on TV says 'he heard 2 shots then 2 more - but the cops should have tasered him, not shot him'. 2 shots, pause, 2 more - 2 won't stop him but a taser will? As I said, kind of a nutcase town. Interviewee (& news editor) needs to go back to NYC or ChiTown.
Got a new SG at Cabelas last week, line for BC was long, 2 hr wait but saved $300. Guy & gal in line getting 40 & 380 and 2 boxes of Berry's bullets. My error as I didn't ask if he was a reloader. At the checkout line, he found they were not ammo. She picked them up thinking it was a good buy. I think most in line had never shot anything before.

Blackwater
12-14-2015, 01:35 PM
If you run, that generally means turning your back, and turning your back to a grave threat isn't usually a great idea. I think shooting BACK is the only really viable option, and keeping it up as long as the threat persists and you're still able to keep pulling the trigger and have ammo. I think a lot of folks overthink the proposition, or aren't really willing to do what's necessary, and look for an out that often simply just isn't there. Just my view, of course, and nobody has a right to tell anyone else what to do or think or how to act, but this one seems rather "elementary my dear Watson!" Sometimes simple and direct application of logic is the best route to follow, and I think this is one of those subjects that just cries out for it. Kill the SOB and he'll quit threatening. Very, very simple.

starmac
12-15-2015, 12:26 AM
There was a time I didn't have enough sense to run, by the time I came to my senses, I was too stove up to run anyway. lol

TXGunNut
12-15-2015, 12:36 AM
Little off subject but saw on the news last nite, hatchet wielding nut case chopping up cars in Denton, Tx (uber-liberal school town). Interviewee on TV says 'he heard 2 shots then 2 more - but the cops should have tasered him, not shot him'. 2 shots, pause, 2 more - 2 won't stop him but a taser will? As I said, kind of a nutcase town. Interviewee (& news editor) needs to go back to NYC or ChiTown.

Ah yes, my old hometown just a little ways down 35. Did the police thing there for 25 years and do my best to avoid going there unless I have to. Too many oddballs and liberals...guess that was a bit redundant. Don't think I know the officer involved but UNT PD was always an outstanding department, happy to have them back me up, anytime!

Lonegun1894
12-15-2015, 01:22 AM
My main wish is that the next one of these nutjobs that decides to shoot up innocent people starts the shooting in the same room I happen to be in, and my intent is to minimize injuries to innocents. I am always armed (screw the libtards and their criminal safe zones), and always have a basic trauma kit, both due to my job and the fact that old habits die hard. The criminal should NOT expect their injuries to be treated til after everyone else is taken care of, and it won't be me treating them, regardless of what tools I have available. Let the SOB leak hydraulic fluid.