PDA

View Full Version : Any stamp collectors herre ?

shaper
12-07-2015, 11:28 PM
I have a friend that moved his business to the other side of the state. In doing so he got rid of a lot of stuff. He sold stuff, he gave stuff away, and he threw stuff in the dumpster. I looked in his dumpster and saw two stamp collection albums. I just could not let them go to the dump. so I rescued them. One is the "Modern postage stamp album". This one has stamps from around the world. There are stamps in there that are from places I have never heard of. The other one is "The all American stamp album". It covers from 1847 to date This one has more than just postage stamps. There are commemorative stamps of so many things and places I can't list all of them. There are Presidential stamps, postage due, special delivery, centennial, national parks, Exposition, Army, Navy, Famous Americans 1940, Overrun countries 1943-1944, Armed Forces 1945-1946, and many others. The books are in no way full but they have some interesting stamps in them
Here's the deal. I haven't collected stamps in a very long time. I would like to see these books go to someone that will appreciate them. If I gave these two stamp collection books to you and paid the shipping, what would you do with them?
So, talk to me. Why do you want these two books? I will let this go until Friday at 6:00 pm at that time I will select who gets them, again it will be for free.
time starts now.
shaper

nvbirdman
12-08-2015, 12:00 AM
I think you should look in the Yellow Pages for a store that deals in stamps and ask what they're worth. If they want to buy them, then donate the money to NRA or SAF.

Taylor3006
12-08-2015, 04:59 AM
I have been a stamp collector for over 40 years and even worked in a stamp store. 90% of postage stamps have very little value, unused stamps from "the common era" (1930's - 2000) are worth around face value and are used for postage. I would suggest giving the albums to a boy scout troop in your area as they still have a badge available for stamp collecting. If there is something of interest or value, they will root it out and whatever the current climate with the BSA, it still is a pretty good organization made up of pretty good kids.

rancher1913
12-08-2015, 06:29 AM
2nd taylor's advice. inherited my grandfathers stamp albums and thought I could sell them and buy some more farm ground but after the appraisal I put them in the closet and will just sit on them.

BrassMagnet
12-08-2015, 08:41 AM
A lot of collector markets seem to be predominantly crooked. If they have it, it is mint, collectable and valuable. If you have it, it is poor condition dunk and they will only pay a pittance for it.

I say give it to the Boy Scout Troop. They will be amazed, educated, and value it!

shaper
12-08-2015, 06:01 PM
I'll put them back in the trash where I found them.

skeettx
12-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Shaper,

I would love to get these stamps, I teach about foreign missions to many of our young folks
Sure would be nice to show them REAL stamps from these countries.

Also I teach a Veteran's Day lesson in the public schools about WHO is a Veteran and where have they gone (been deployed).
Might be fun to include some of these stamps in the chat.

Mike

As part of the lesson, I show a picture a man a Marine uniform, so kids identify men as veterans,
Then I tell them that is a photo of my Dad
Next I show a picture of a woman in a Marine uniform, so the kids identify women as veterans,
Then I tell them that is a photo of my Mom.
Next I show a picture of a younger man in a Navy uniforms, so they identify younger people as veterans,
Then I tell them that is a photo of my Brother
etc, etc
then they get the picture that Veterans are Family :)

p.s.s. I do collect some stamps also, Danzig is one of the countries :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_City_of_Danzig

shaper
12-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Skeettx The books are yours. sending pm.

skeettx
12-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Shaper, THANK YOU!!
Yeeee Hawww !!
The package of the two stamp albums came this morning
What joy, what joy
I loved paging through all the history and events depicted
I will put them to good use
THANK YOU!!
Merry Christmas
Mike