PDA

View Full Version : Mold Shipping - Do's & Don'ts

cbashooter
12-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Please do not just throw a mold unsecured in a box loose.the cavity soon become separate beat on each other and damage the mold.a simple rubber band will suffice.

Thanks to all.

Sweetpea
12-07-2015, 11:18 PM
Zip ties work as well...

big bore 99
12-07-2015, 11:21 PM
I was told long ago, to always store a mold with a slug in the blocks and handles taped or rubber banded together.

cheese1566
12-07-2015, 11:27 PM
Plus lots and lots of packing!!

Bert2368
12-07-2015, 11:36 PM
The "slug in the blocks" really does not help much to prevent corrosion of "casting clean" Iron moulds during long term storage, and the several molds I have received with SPRUES ON SLUGS IN BLOCKS COLD AND NOT CUT OFF! have been a pain to deal with.

Just spray any EMPTY steel/Iron mold parts with Boeshield or a similar high quality preservative, I would far rather CLEAN a mold than remove rust from one, especially in the cavities.

But the rest is all good! I, too, have opened a box from another member here to find a couple of loose mold halves that bounced around for God knows how many miles, requiring a careful stoning before they would even close up tight again.

BrassMagnet
12-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Please do not just throw a mold unsecured in a box loose.the cavity soon become separate beat on each other and damage the mold.a simple rubber band will suffice.

Thanks to all.

A rubber band will not suffice. They frequently break before the trip ends.
Use a nylon tie-wrap (zip tie!) or tape.
I like to Saran Wrap and then tape.

swamp
12-07-2015, 11:56 PM
I zip tie and then set in Styrofoam so they are not going anywhere. Use sfrb.
swamp

bangerjim
12-08-2015, 12:54 AM
Every mold I have purchased new from the vendors on here that make molds for a living all use heavy rubber bands. No problems on this end. All arrived in perfect condition in a small cardboard box in a USPS Priority mail envelope. MIHec packs his in newspaper for the trip across the pond. Makes interesting reading!!!!!!!

banger

cbashooter
12-08-2015, 12:59 AM
You're correct a red rubber band like the goes around the thin newspapers or not suffice thick rubber bands I have never had break.
I also wrap them with saran wrap afterwards for safety as well.
I guess basically anything you can do to ensure that the mold cavity stay tight is all that needs to be done. Personally I have used electrical tape many times but some have not liked it because they say occasionally it will leave agree coating on the outside of the mold.

ncbearman
12-08-2015, 01:41 AM
Buy a bicycle inner tube and make your own "rubber bands". Very sturdy and last a long time.
Erik taught me that one.

cbashooter
12-08-2015, 01:51 AM
Erik at hollow point mold service uses those.I'd forgotten. Good tip.

Green Monster
12-08-2015, 02:18 AM
Buy a bicycle inner tube and make your own "rubber bands". Very sturdy and last a long time.

Beat me to it.... I also cut some styrofoam into thin sheets and slide them between the mold faces then wrap it with the innertube and package with lots of bubble wrap and peanuts/paperballs to fill dead space in the box. The biggest thing ive noticed is try to keep the mold from moving while its inside the box.

minmax
12-08-2015, 02:59 AM
I use 14ga household electrical wire from leftover wiring projects. Works great for storage too.

ncbearman
12-08-2015, 09:52 AM
Erik at hollow point mold service uses those.I'd forgotten. Good tip.

haha Thats where I got it from. Forgot to give him credit. Works great.

cheese1566
12-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Kinda like dropping a set of 4 carbide reloading dies in a small flat rate box with nothing else....

dissapointing when you take the box out of the mailbox and it rattles like marbles.

:cry:

RogerDat
12-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Kinda like dropping a set of 4 carbide reloading dies in a small flat rate box with nothing else....

dissapointing when you take the box out of the mailbox and it rattles like marbles.

:cry:
Yeah digging through the abundant packing material to find your surprise inside is half the fun! NOE has a heavy rubber band, fitted box and boxes are inside USPS box with packing paper.

montana_charlie
12-14-2015, 05:25 PM
I disassemble the mould ... sprue plate, and all, then place all parts in a seal-a meal bag with no two items touching.
Vacuum out that package, drop it in a Small Flat Rate Box with some 'tiny bubble wrap', and all is as safe as you can make it.

Skinny
11-17-2016, 08:38 AM
Those big rubber bands they use to wrap broccoli bunches together, work very well too!

They dont break down over time as fast. They are thick and strong. I use them for money wrap too instead of a clip.

Many times you can ask your grocery store produce manager and he will give you a handfull.

reloader4410
11-18-2016, 10:36 PM
Hair ties like people use for pony tails, work great, Happy Tails

whtsmoke
07-15-2017, 10:36 PM
vacuum seal it in a bag and tape the heck out of it to the bottom of a sfrb and then pack around it.

Buzzard II
04-27-2019, 12:20 PM
I would be happy with a strong rubber band and lightly oiled mold halves, wrapped in old newspaper inside a box. No one wants to receive a mangled up ***.

Walks
05-13-2019, 12:44 AM
In the olden days of the 1950's-'60's, my Dad sold/swapped molds constantly. He always put them inside paper towel/toilet paper tubes. Of course molds (except 8-10cav H&G) were smaller back then.

phaessler
04-12-2020, 08:58 AM
This needs to be reread once in a while....

clarksvillejoe
06-23-2021, 12:27 PM
Agreed on the re-read, just received some loose in box. Simple rubberband would suffice. Fortunately no damage. Goes for shipping anything, take 5 minutes and pack correctly.

rmb721
08-07-2022, 05:26 PM
I pack things the way I would want them packed if they were being sent to me.

I put at least two zip ties around moulds.

Jkrem
10-17-2022, 06:54 PM
I disassemble the mounds and shrink wrap them with my Costco food saver. The screws and parts go in a ziplock. Never had an issue shipping this way.

pa.frank
02-27-2023, 06:36 PM
Agree, no rubber bands.. no matter how much you clean it, there always seems to be just enough residual solvent or oil that eats up rubber bands right quick!

Rockindaddy
10-18-2023, 11:55 AM
I wrap the mould halves separately. That way the blocks do not rub and bump one another along the ride.