PDA

View Full Version : Loading for a Ruger SR9c

GypsmJim
12-07-2015, 08:18 PM
My son is getting a 9mm for Christmas, so I decided to load him up several boxes of ammo as a present. I have several 9mm molds and make my own hard cast 125's. I cast both conical and traditional round nose lead bullets.

I have several 9mm pistols and each likes a different style boolit. I'd like to have my son's first boxes work reasonably well.

I'm looking for a suggestion on what style will feed best for this particular Ruger.

Schrag4
12-07-2015, 09:14 PM
I've only loaded one type of cast boolit for that gun so far, Lee 124RN tumble variety, which I powder coat I load them to 1.100 OAL over 4.8gr of Unique. It shoots pretty good in my gun, more accurate than I am anyway. No issues with feeding. I've also loaded the same over 5.2gr AA#5, but velocity is not quite what I need and accuracy is slightly worse. Feeding has never been an issue with these. I don't really keep track of how many I shoot, but I know it's probably close to 1500 (about half at IDPA matches), so I'm very confident in this projectile/seating depth/gun combination.

GypsmJim
12-07-2015, 10:19 PM
My standard 9mm load is with Bullseye, but I do have a Lee 124 RNTL, so I guess that'll be one of my choices.

Thanks...

lonewolf5347
12-07-2015, 10:39 PM
I have the SR9 and found it favors Bulleye powder
My cast load is 95 gr. .356 dia: with 4.0 grains of bulleye a t 1.100
My steel plate matches I use extreme 135 gr. R.N.F.P. with 3.5 grains bulleye powder at 1.140

sandman228
12-07-2015, 11:49 PM
I used to own a sr9c and reloaded for it . Mine liked the lee 124 gr rn or 120 gr tc bullets over 6gr of blue dot sized to .356.And it didnt like anything primed with a hand primer if primer wasn't seated perfect it wouldnt fire half the rounds . I switched to an rcbs bench mounted priming tool and never had trouble after that . From what i understand its a common issue with that model .

petroid
12-08-2015, 12:12 AM
My wife has an SR9C. It has a fairly tight chamber. I use the Lee FCD to size just enough to chamber and take the flare out. NATO spec brass doesn't work well in it, as the brass is thicker and has to be sized more to chamber reliably which tends to swage the bullet down

Schrag4
12-08-2015, 01:29 AM
Forgot to mention, CCI primers worked fine with the stock striker spring, but S&B primers did NOT work until I put a heavier spring in. Now it works fine with S&B primers.

petroid, I ditched the FCD long ago, and I haven't had trouble with feeding in the SR9c. I'll load pretty much any headstamp. Some are easier to size or seat primers and bullets, but they all feed just fine, for me anyway.

Brad Cayton
12-08-2015, 07:53 AM
I've run 500+ of my reloads through my SR9c and without a bobble of any kind. I use the Lee 356-120 TC mold, PC them and sized .357 over 4.5 grains of WSF. Shoots very well out of mine. I haven't had ftf and I hand prime with a RCBS tool.

bedbugbilly
12-09-2015, 09:46 AM
I have a SR9 (not the 9c compact). All it gets is cast. I use the Lyman/Ideal 358-242 RN 121 gr or the Lee 356-120 TC. I used both of those over 3.5 gr. of bulls eye and the gun shot and cycled fine. YMMV

I've had mine for about 9 years now and before I reloaded for the 9mm, it got whatever the cheapest 9mm there was on the shelf at the LGS at the time. I never had any issues with it and mine seems to like whatever it's fed. Nowadays . . it's only cast though. That was my first semi-auto CF pistol and it turned out to be an excellent choice. Since then, I've added a 9mm Shield which seems to like the same boolits but with about 3.7 gr of bulls eye. Rather than load two different powder grain weights, I now just load 'em all up at 3.7 gr. of bulls eye and they work well in both pistols.

murf205
12-09-2015, 09:51 PM
My son is getting a 9mm for Christmas, so I decided to load him up several boxes of ammo as a present. I have several 9mm molds and make my own hard cast 125's. I cast both conical and traditional round nose lead bullets.

I have several 9mm pistols and each likes a different style boolit. I'd like to have my son's first boxes work reasonably well.

I'm looking for a suggestion on what style will feed best for this particular Ruger.

I have an SR9 (not "c") and you can't make them gag. I've fed mine every conceivable boolit I could scrounge up and it will digest them all. Mine likes a Magnus 147gr with 4.4grs of Unique for around 1000 fps. Might be a bit warm in your gun so sneak up on the load. but it hits pretty hard. I carry it when I think I might bump into hogs which we seem to have an abundance of.
Murf205

Mike Kerr
12-12-2015, 02:50 AM
I have a SR9c and it eats everything. Factory ball; truncated cone handloads; lead RN handloads; jacketed or plated hollowpoints. Its just not picky, but I stick to 124 gr bullets in nearly every configuration.

lonewolf5347
12-12-2015, 01:18 PM
I have tested .357 diameter bullet they chamber with no problems I think I am going to load a few soft cast at .357 9MM bullet with some winchester 231 and see how they group on paper