PDA

View Full Version : Is 22 mag extinct?

Hogtamer
12-07-2015, 07:27 PM
If not the guns at least the ammo. Store shelves sag with .17 but even Gunbot has very few listings of .22 WMR and the few rounds available are 50 cents a pop. A kel-tec pmr 30 is on my wish list but do I need something I can't feed?

Whiterabbit
12-07-2015, 07:38 PM
If empty store shelves are your standard, then 22LR must be going extinct too. :)

I think sagging shelves (of 17 rimfire) must be more of an indicator a cartridge is going extinct. More supply than needed. Eventually no need at all.

Anyway, I hope it's not going extinct. I just got a nice bearcat in 22mag. The only 22RF it can handle is aguila super light weight stuff, the <500 fps stuff.

salpal48
12-07-2015, 07:50 PM
I had a 22 mag. great cartridge But Too expensive. not that I would not Buy it . but it does not make a good days shooting. once The stores don't stock . the manufacture stops.
Dealers are not going to stock by the case for It to sit

bdicki
12-07-2015, 09:45 PM
I sold my 9422M

shoot-n-lead
12-07-2015, 10:16 PM
My 22mag stays in the safe now...2yrs ago, I moved to the 22 Hornet and I probably will not go back. I can just load the Hornet to do what I want to do and no trying to run down ammo.

leeggen
12-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Son-N law finds them at Gander Mountain all the time in Mt Joliet Tn. I don't know what he pays for them.
CD

Pumpkinheaver
12-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Hard to find .22 mag. I need a few boxes myself.

too many things
12-07-2015, 10:49 PM
had a dept store chain in WV in the 70s. they were going out of business and marked stuff as low as 10%[NOT AMMO}My late father was a rummage sale nut and anything that was a bargain. He was in the store looking for 12ga shot shells and did get several boxes. He saw the 22s were .97 abox. so he said he would take all they had. As it turned out there was 4 cases. He didn't back down.
so the guy loaded 4 cases of 22s in the cart. NOW remember this is $97 a case, because 22lr in 100boxes to a case of 5000 rds
The top box was 22mags and it only had 50 boxes. but they sold all at 50 pr case for 4 cases I still have 20 or more boxes.
of the mags the case had been opened and about half were HP.
He has been gone several years but still have the 12ga he got and some of the 22s and mags

Mica_Hiebert
12-07-2015, 10:54 PM
just primed 600,000 rounds last night...

wlc
12-08-2015, 01:32 AM

How bout having them send a few cases to Alaska. I've seen exactly 6 boxes of 50 in the past two years. BTW, CCI maxi-mag HP's preferred, but will take what I can get. :)

EDG
12-08-2015, 01:47 AM
You must work for CCI.

12-08-2015, 01:50 AM
Still popular here is Aus, plenty of people going back to it after being disappointed with HMR performance on anything bigger than a rabbit.
I know Winchester recently released a subsonic 45gr load here in Aus but we are also struggling to get a constant supply of US manufactured ammo.

Whiterabbit
12-08-2015, 03:31 AM
How bout having them send a few cases to Alaska. I've seen exactly 6 boxes of 50 in the past two years. BTW, CCI maxi-mag HP's preferred, but will take what I can get. :)

You willing to pay inflated CA prices? no issues to ship ammo to AK? If I recall correctly, maximags are what my local shop has. Might be V-max though.

wlc
12-08-2015, 01:51 PM
You willing to pay inflated CA prices? no issues to ship ammo to AK? If I recall correctly, maximags are what my local shop has. Might be V-max though.

Thanks for the offer, but shipping ammo to Ak gets a bit expensive. has to go freight on the barge from Seattle. Most of what I have seen has been group buys by the pallet load to get the shipping per case to a manageable amount.

Whiterabbit
12-08-2015, 02:08 PM
Bummer. I wasn't sure if I could just walk into a UPS depot with a box marked ORM-D like I do for, say, shipping to Nebraska.

Strange it can't go air, since if I bought a hunting trip to AK I could presumably put a box of ammo in my check in luggage?

pietro
12-08-2015, 02:16 PM

I currently own/shoot/hunt with 5 different .22WMR chambered guns, and don't have to fret about running out of ammo.

About 20 years ago, when I was in my early 50s, I bought approx. 3,500 rounds (every .22WMR cartridge in stock) of various makes/type ammo from a gunshop's owner's new widow, right after the shop owner passed away suddenly.

I still have about 1,000 rounds (+/-) remaining - enough to last until I have to go for my Dirt Nap.

Mica_Hiebert
12-08-2015, 06:41 PM
You must work for CCI.
Yes, Building literally tons of rimfire ammo and still none on shelves. Once it leaves my department I have no clue where it goes! but I can tell you that it IS being manufactured at a historicly high rate!

Steve77
12-08-2015, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there is some collusion between ammo manufacturers and gun manufacturers. Guys who want to scratch their magnum rimfire itch might just go out and buy a 17hmr if they have plenty of ammo on the shelf. I have seen several guys do exactly that. Can't help but wonder if this has been designed to increase sales on guns.

On a separate note, I hear a lot of complaints from guys who switched from 22mag to 17 hmr. Not nearly as potent as it was hyped to be.

atr
12-08-2015, 07:52 PM
sold my 22 mag colt and switched to the .22 Hornet....no regrets.
Enjoyed shooting the 22 mag when I had it but 22 mag ammo was getting hard to find.
atr

brassrat
12-09-2015, 10:06 AM

our friend!

Duckiller
12-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Too many people NEED tin foil hats! There is a shortage of 22 RF ammo. It is all being made and bought at an amazing rate. 22LR and 22WRM is not obsolete or going away. Want to worry about 22 ammo? When was the last time you saw 22 Long or 22 Short for sale?

Mica_Hiebert
12-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Too many people NEED tin foil hats! There is a shortage of 22 RF ammo. It is all being made and bought at an amazing rate. 22LR and 22WRM is not obsolete or going away. Want to worry about 22 ammo? When was the last time you saw 22 Long or 22 Short for sale?
see shorts all the time here 22lr at normal price is rarer but comes up every now and again $5-13 per 50 round boxes collecting dust I think the majority of people are done paying out the wazoo for piss cutter rounds! honestly I think most of the people who bought the $75 bricks where first time gun owners who never knew the difference.

Mica_Hiebert
12-09-2015, 04:42 PM
our friend!
wish I had first dibs!

Hogtamer
12-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Swap you a load of tinfoil hats for a coupla k 40 grn 22 WMR. If you've never shot a keltec pmr30 I tell you it's nigh impossible to stop at one 30 rd mag. Was plenty of .22 LR around a few months ago and I stocked up but the last WMRs I saw was over a year ago.

Mica_Hiebert
12-09-2015, 05:36 PM
Swap you a load of tinfoil hats for a coupla k 40 grn 22 WMR. If you've never shot a keltec pmr30 I tell you it's nigh impossible to stop at one 30 rd mag. Was plenty of .22 LR around a few months ago and I stocked up but the last WMRs I saw was over a year ago.

I thought that poor gun was destined for failure! not that it was a bad design but 22 mag was scarce when it came out and hasnt gotten any better. I havent owned a 22 mag since I regretfully sold my single 6 convertible I gave my buddy 96 rounds of mag I had sitting around that I have no use for and he about peed when I told him I didnt want any thing for them.

lobogunleather
12-09-2015, 06:10 PM
.22 magnum was extinct for me about 50 years ago. Back then I could buy a box of good .22LR for under $0.50, and .22 shorts were even cheaper. Magnums have always been 4 to 10 times more expensive.

I have taken hundreds of rabbits, hares, grouse, pigeons, and other edible critters with .22 rimfire ammo, and I have never felt the need to shoot the magnums. Not just because I am cheap (although I will admit to that character flaw), but I never saw anything that would convince me that the .22 WMR was in any way superior to good old .22LR for game critters.

If I feel the need for more power than my .22LR can provide I will move up to a .218 Bee, a .25-20, a .32.20, a .357 magnum, a .44-40, a .44 magnum, a .45 Colt, or even a .30-06.

Short version, the .22 magnum has always been a solution in search of a problem, and at too high a price to play with.

Steve77
12-09-2015, 06:53 PM
.22 magnum was extinct for me about 50 years ago. Back then I could buy a box of good .22LR for under $0.50, and .22 shorts were even cheaper. Magnums have always been 4 to 10 times more expensive.

I have taken hundreds of rabbits, hares, grouse, pigeons, and other edible critters with .22 rimfire ammo, and I have never felt the need to shoot the magnums. Not just because I am cheap (although I will admit to that character flaw), but I never saw anything that would convince me that the .22 WMR was in any way superior to good old .22LR for game critters.

If I feel the need for more power than my .22LR can provide I will move up to a .218 Bee, a .25-20, a .32.20, a .357 magnum, a .44-40, a .44 magnum, a .45 Colt, or even a .30-06.

Short version, the .22 magnum has always been a solution in search of a problem, and at too high a price to play with.
We can't shoot centerfires here in the mitten state after dark. Predator hunting after dark is a good use for 22 mag so it gets some love due to that around here.

Rick Hodges
12-09-2015, 06:53 PM
I sure hope not....I have a 9422M and I love it. Here in Michigan if you hunt predators at night with a rifle it has to be a rimfire. The 22mag is my only option. (superior to the 17 rimfires on coyote) yes I have a hornet and a couple of .223's but they can only be used daytime. 22mag ammo has always been pricey...but I have never paid as much as I see some fools paying for 22lr.

wlc
12-09-2015, 10:39 PM
Bummer. I wasn't sure if I could just walk into a UPS depot with a box marked ORM-D like I do for, say, shipping to Nebraska.

Strange it can't go air, since if I bought a hunting trip to AK I could presumably put a box of ammo in my check in luggage?

That should be absolutely no problem. As a matter of fact, Alaska Airlines allows up to 50 pounds of ammo per person on their flights. We went outside to visit family in May, and I couldn't find any ammo of any kind that I needed while I was there or I would've hauled my 50 pounds back home.

I wish it was as simple as just sticking it in a ORM-D labeled box and shipping UPS. UPS technically doesn't have "ground" service to AK. Everything comes up on a cargo plane and they won't allow ammo, powder, or primers on the planes. Has to come up via barge and each barge has a weight limit of hazard material they are allowed to haul. Makes it tough sometimes.

There is PLENTY of 17hmr on the shelves along with a decent supply of 22shorts and a sporadic supply of 22rf now. 22 mag has been almost unobtainium for the past several years, at least up here.

JeffinNZ
12-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Toys with the idea of a .22WMR for my daughter very, very briefly (OK, not really at all) then bought a Hornet.

12-10-2015, 03:35 AM
Yes, Building literally tons of rimfire ammo and still none on shelves. Once it leaves my department I have no clue where it goes! but I can tell you that it IS being manufactured at a historicly high rate!

Not much CCI rimfire ammo making it down under.
Have had some on back order with the importers since Oct 14, they still have no ETA best guess is sometime late in the 2nd half of 16.
They would have ordered well in advance of the placing of our order with them so probably looking at 3 years from order to delivery.
If they are that far behind then unlimited overtime for you looks to be on the cards for the foreseeable future.

rollmyown
12-10-2015, 05:18 AM
The 22 magnum shines shooting vermin at night with lights. No hunting for brass in the dark or long grass. It's also better for larger quarry when the LR just isn't quite enough. A bit of extra range too. 3 of the reasons I think the 22 magnum is a great little round.

rintinglen
12-10-2015, 06:00 AM
About the only 22 ammo I have seen is in the last two years is CCI . I did get a collectors box of Remington Gun Cleaning Stuff that had 200 22 LR, but If Winchester or Federal is making any, you couldn't prove it by me.

AK Caster
12-10-2015, 10:36 AM
I managed to pick up approximately 50 boxes during my travels over the last two years. All of it was found in Bass Pro Shops.
IMO the 22 mag is the best rim fire for small game ever invented

mazo kid
12-10-2015, 05:30 PM
I bought 6 boxes of 22 Mag last summer, paid ~$20.00 per box. Haven't checked lately.

Whiterabbit
12-10-2015, 06:58 PM
here in CA it's a smidge over that. $22-25. Plus 10% tax.

oldred
12-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Ok I have finally reached the point of feeding the scalpers because I am willing at this point to pay extortion prices for a few boxes of 22 Mag! I love the stuff but I am down to less than a hundred rounds and can't find any anywhere, I couldn't even find any at the last gun show.

Love Life
12-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Heck, I just gave away 250 rds free last Sunday.

I know a nice old lady sitting on north of 15,000 rds of 22Mag, lol.

Hogtamer
12-10-2015, 11:39 PM
At today's prices that's a retirement account!

ranger1962
12-11-2015, 08:39 AM
Can you shoot 22 lr in a mag for plinking?

Love Life
12-11-2015, 09:29 AM
At today's prices that's a retirement account!

Mom started buying 22 mag long before the Sandy Hook shooting along with the other calibers she enjoys. Mom doesn't believe in running out of things she enjoys, lol.

Rick Hodges
12-11-2015, 09:33 AM

No! Not safely, the cases are different diameter.

oldred
12-11-2015, 09:36 AM

NO!!

It will go bang ok but the chamber is too big and at the very least you will get deformed cases and gas leakage, usually split cases, and accuracy would be pretty much nonexistent. Don't do it because it's a recipe for trouble and little else!

Whiterabbit
12-11-2015, 12:08 PM
usually the case splits. I tried aguilla subsonic stuff, and the 500 fps subsonic stuff still splits cases. the 300 fps stuff does not, seems to be just the right mix of expansion pressure without too much.

After seeing what a couple 500 fps subsonic cases looked like, I have no desire to see what 700, 900, or superonic 22 does in a 22mag chamber. No thanks. I will experiment more with the 300 fps aguila colibri stuff though to see how far I can shoot and keep it in the black.

Maximumbob54
12-11-2015, 12:39 PM
.22 anything is still pretty rare. Any time I start to see it available again and think it may finally be over it all gets bought up and shelves are empty again. And yet manufacturers are still dumping new models of .22's on us. I would love to have interest in Ruger's brand new GP-100 in .22LR but I can't really be interested for the same reason I haven't bought their remodeled SP101 in .22LR... There's no ammo available for them!!! At least not on a regular and certainly not on a budget. And heaven forbid you have a rimfire that only gets reliable or accurate with a certain ammo. Then you are hosed.

dtknowles
12-11-2015, 01:04 PM
OK, warning warning the following is not recommended by anyone (including myself) and is just provided as an example of what I have done myself and to see if anyone else has tried something similar.

If you cut the head of a piece of .22 mag brass and deburr the ends a .22 LR round can be inserted into the remaining tube. I have fired only two rounds like this in my Ruger single six convertible as an experiment. Since I have a .22 LR cylinder I have no need to do this but it did work, the cases did not split. I can't tell you what brass I used or if the brand of brass matters. The .22 LR rounds were Hi Vel rounds but not ultra rounds.

Maybe someone who understands the risks and issues could do more experiments (with great care and caution). I would think if someone could get the thin brass tube to stay in the chamber like a chamber insert it would be better than putting the tube on each round before chambering would be an improvement. There could be additional risks with this approach. Caution, Caution. Try this at your own risk.

Tim

Whiterabbit
12-11-2015, 02:07 PM
OK, warning warning the following is not recommended by anyone (including myself) and is just provided as an example of what I have done myself and to see if anyone else has tried something similar.

Warning noted. Recommendation (lack there-of) noted. CYA noted. Risk analysis noted. That said (with all caveats noted),

brilliant idea! I might try this to get 500 fps colibri working in my 22M bearcat. It's a concept that is worth thinking about.

dtknowles
12-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Warning noted. Recommendation (lack there-of) noted. CYA noted. Risk analysis noted. That said (with all caveats noted),

brilliant idea! I might try this to get 500 fps colibri working in my 22M bearcat. It's a concept that is worth thinking about.

If you do, please tell us how it goes.

Tim

Whiterabbit
12-11-2015, 02:23 PM
if I try it, I will let you guys know. FYI I have no interest in shooting standard 22RF in a 22 mag chamber. I'm only interested in the colibri ammo. So This isn;t really an attempt at cost management with respect to shooting a 22 mag, it has to do with noise management. Having the ability to shoot the relatively high powered stuff (30gr >2000 fps) at ridiculous noise (remember the "noisy cricket" from Men In Black?), and then shooting ammo that doesn't require hearing protection at all.

I shoot rimfires like I shoot centerfires, so ammo cost for me is a non-issue, other than what feels like an ethical issue paying near-centerfire prices for rimfire ammo.

For me, I wouldn't even bother if there was a "colibri" option in a 22 mag (or short mag) case. Since that is not an option, this might be a neat project for thought experimentation, then if seems OK enough to try, to try.

dtknowles
12-11-2015, 02:45 PM
I am an experimenter by nature, I never tried to download .22 mag but I did try to make pistol loads for .22 mag. I pulled the bullets and loaded them with what I thought was faster powder (don't really know what the factory loads). I was able to beat factory velocity with no pressure signs but not enough to matter but then I did not push my luck. I think that light cast bullet and primer only would work in your Bearcat. That would be a lot of work and expense for the special ammo. I made an adapter to pull the bullets with my inertial puller and did not crimp the bullets just expanded the neck to remove the old crimp (no bell) and reseated to the crimp groove.

Tim

S. Galbraith
12-11-2015, 03:13 PM
.22mag going extinct? Not quite. I have trouble finding it for sale, not because it is rare, but because the demand is so high. From a small game hunting perspective, it is FAR more effective from my experiences than .22lr.

45-70 Chevroner
12-14-2015, 09:38 AM

If you cut the head of a piece of .22 mag brass and deburr the ends a .22 LR round can be inserted into the remaining tube. I have fired only two rounds like this in my Ruger single six convertible as an experiment. Since I have a .22 LR cylinder I have no need to do this but it did work, the cases did not split. I can't tell you what brass I used or if the brand of brass matters. The .22 LR rounds were Hi Vel rounds but not ultra rounds.

Maybe someone who understands the risks and issues could do more experiments (with great care and caution). I would think if someone could get the thin brass tube to stay in the chamber like a chamber insert it would be better than putting the tube on each round before chambering would be an improvement. There could be additional risks with this approach. Caution, Caution. Try this at your own risk.

Tim
I can't quite get a picture of this in my mind. Explain in more detail or post pictures.
Woops I think I got it! How do you cut the rim off the 22 mag case with out collapsing the case?

45-70 Chevroner
12-14-2015, 10:04 AM

Every one has their opinions on the two, but the truth of the matter is the 22 LR is a 100 yard cartridge at best. The 22 mag is a 150 to 200 yard cartridge, 200 is stretching it a bit but it will still kill a coyote at that distance. A 22 LR is marginal on anything larger than a Jackrabbit at a 100 yards. Yes you can kill a coyote at that distance but it's not a human decision.

AK Caster
12-14-2015, 10:09 AM
The only hunters that don't consider the 22 mag to be more effective than the 22 LE on small critters are hunters that have never gave it a good work out.
IMO the 22 mag is the best rimfire ever invented for shooting game up to coyote size

dtknowles
12-14-2015, 12:32 PM
I can't quite get a picture of this in my mind. Explain in more detail or post pictures.
Woops I think I got it! How do you cut the rim off the 22 mag case with out collapsing the case?

I used a Dremel motor tool with a carbide cutter wheel.

Tim

smkummer
12-14-2015, 06:47 PM
155590This Colt single shot 22 magnum has its place. I am shooting the older stuff first. One shot at a time. I have about 7 50 round boxes left, I am hoping it will last until this stuff comes down to about $7 a box. I would not buy a 22 magnum at this time if I were a reloader and bullet caster, while 22 hornet will do it all for a lot less, I am finding that 223 with lyman's 225415 does it as well too at 1800-2300 FPS with shotgun powder.

pacomdiver
12-20-2015, 12:56 PM
most of the walmarts around me, when I browse thru the ammo aisle, have 22 mag but never 22 LR. so occasionally I pick up a box or two

saleen322
12-21-2015, 10:31 PM
My 22mag stays in the safe now...2yrs ago, I moved to the 22 Hornet and I probably will not go back. I can just load the Hornet to do what I want to do and no trying to run down ammo.

I am in the same camp. I have 4 hornets and 1 K-hornet. The 22 mag I think is still a good choice for those who don't reload.

richhodg66
12-21-2015, 11:20 PM
When I was about 14, I got a Squires Bingham bolt action in .22 WMR. Killed all kinds of stuff with it through my teenage years. Things I did learn about the .22 WMR;

1. Never as accurate as almost any .22 LR (they may be making better ammo now and mine was not a top quality rifle).

2. Ammo was much, much more expensive than .22 LR.

3. Definitely hit harder than a .22, but was too destructive on edible game with hollow points and with solid points, didn't seem to kill squirrels and such as quickly as a .22 LR hollow point did.

4. On things like ground squirrels and other small varmints it was great. Now that I reload, I went the .22 Hornet route.

I managed to snag a couple of boxes of ammo for it in Wal Mart the other day, but I haven't shot the rifle for several years. I might have to take it out over the holidays just for old time's sake.

wistlepig1
12-22-2015, 12:25 AM
If you cast or reload or both a Hornet has more range, more V, and heaver bullit. I love my Savage for Pdogs. I am sure the 22 mag people love there choice too! This is why they make flavors in ice cream, My 2 cents.

richhodg66
12-22-2015, 12:45 AM
My experience with loading for the Hornet has been to duplicate rimfire performance and it is pretty easy to do. Cheaper than .22 LR too.

However, there's just something about the simplicity of a nice .22 and leting the brass fly without worrying about it, therefore, there will always be a few .22 rimfires in my collection, they just aren't getting shot much lately.

shdwlkr
12-22-2015, 02:02 PM
With all this talk of 22lr, 22magnum being out dated, please send all the firearms, ammo you have left and I will take good care of all. I am old and out dated also so what you send will feel right at home with me. Don't wait PM me soon before it is too late

OptimusPanda
12-22-2015, 02:04 PM
I used to see 22 mag around all the time when 22lr was non existent. Always saying "well I'll just go get a 22 mag then". Last year a family friend offered to sell me his charter arms pathfinder with both cylinders (22lr and 22 mag). The moment I bought that thing I stopped seeing it on the shelves. The rim fire gods are fickle creatures.

oldred
12-22-2015, 02:46 PM
The rim fire gods are fickle creatures.

They are HEATHENS!!!!!!!!!!

Steve77
12-22-2015, 10:20 PM
I still get my hands on 22 mag ammo occasionally at the LGS. But I never find any .17 Hornady Mach II. That is much closer to being extinct.

Hogtamer
12-22-2015, 10:47 PM
Man, just the opposite here. .17 everywhere you go here and lots of it. Haven't seen 22 mag except shot loads in months. Even on gunbot only the armscor. Several list it but go to the site and it's zero....I just gotta have a keltec pmr 30 but no ammo is a big negative. I've got a bolt rifle and 4 - 500 rnds seems adequate. At 30 rounds a mag that wouldn't last long!

Steve77
12-24-2015, 05:36 PM
I'm not talking 17 HMR, I see those by the heaps. 17 mach II is a different critter. It is a necked down 22 Long Rifle that is quite scarce right now.