PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make a 9mm expander for the Dillon with a longer expander section?

paul h
12-07-2015, 02:25 PM
I just set up my 550 for 9mm and found most of my rounds wouldn't pass a plunk test :veryconfu I did run them through a Lee carbide factory crimp die so they can be fired, but I don't expect much accuracy from them.

After looking everything over I figured out the issue is the expander/funnel only expands about 1/8" of the case and when bullets are seated most of them go in somewhat crooked which bulges the case. So an expander more along the lines of the one for the 38/357 should do the trick but the 38/357 expander isn't long enough to work with the 9mm. A hopeful quick fix that didn't quite make it. I sent Dillon an email but haven't heard back about if they have a solution.

Springfield
12-07-2015, 02:53 PM
How can a 38/357 expander not be long enough when is is much longer then the 9mm expander? I'm confused.

paul h
12-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Because the 38/357 case is longer, the body of the 38/357 expander is shorter. I'll have to take a picture of both of them, but if you put the 38/357 expander in the powder funnel, you can adjust the die body down to hit the shell holder and it won't reach far enough down to expand the neck and bell the case mouth.

VHoward
12-07-2015, 09:09 PM
http://www.mrbulletfeeder.biz/ Scroll down and you will see and expander available in pistol calibers for $32. It does the expansion like a Lyman "M" die, but is powder through. Rick only does business over the phone or by mail.

http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/Mr.BulletFeeder-by-DAA-Powder-Funnel-for-Pistol.html Same product for $38, but you can order online via the web page.

wv109323
12-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Not trying to nose in, but if you are going to have a neck expander made special you may want to make it larger in diameter.
My 9MM CZ 75 needed a .358 bullet and the factory Dillon neck expander was not large enough. I was resizing my bullets when I seated them. The Dillon expander is around .353-.354".

mozeppa
12-07-2015, 09:53 PM
i use a lyman "m" expander ....not powder thru... but,

it was for a 357 mag ...i have a small lathe and i polished it down to .357 was .359

now it works perfectly

bdicki
12-07-2015, 10:03 PM
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=91

VHoward
12-07-2015, 11:09 PM
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=91

Those are for the Lee powder through expander die. The OP wants expander die insert for the Dillon powder through expander die. Different animal.

kryogen
12-08-2015, 12:11 AM
mr bulletfeeder makes one. That's what I'll buy with my 650.

Product Description
Your Mr. BulletfeederŽ is supplied with a newly designed and improved powder funnel. The powder funnel is a very important component of a bullet feeder of any kind, as it prepares the brass correctly so that the bullet can be seated in the case, and not tip over as you index the shell plate. To achieve this, we have redesigned the powder funnel to allow for just the right amount of expansion, without over flaring or stressing your brass. This is included in the Conversion Kit and with the full complete Mr. Bulletfeeder set.

Rifle calibers will be available later this fall.

petroid
12-08-2015, 12:18 AM
An easy fix if you're dealing with Lee dies is to use a 38S&W powder thru expander plug. Is there a similar viable option with the Dillon?

paul h
12-08-2015, 02:45 AM
Doesn't matter what brand of dies, the expander is part of the powder dispensing in station 2 of the 550.

Here is the 38/357 letter D funnel next to the 9mm letter F funnel. Note how short the neck expander section of the F funnel is compared to the D.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/6291032612_179DBE7ED629F7DB185589D979CF86BC.jpg

Sounds like an aftermarket funnel is the way to go. Either that or I need to set up my little lathe and turn one down myself.

kryogen
12-08-2015, 08:32 AM
does anyone have the measurements of the mr bulletfeeder expander?

ioon44
12-09-2015, 08:44 AM
I shortened the Dillon powder die to use the .38/.357 D funnel to load 9 mm. I is a close fit but works for me.

paul h
12-09-2015, 01:18 PM
I was thinking about shortening the powder die to use the D funnel but my lathe isn't set up since I moved. Do you recall how much you had to cut off? Seems like the easiest way to go.

kryogen
12-09-2015, 01:45 PM
how large is the expander in the 38 funnel anyway?
Is it the same size or actually larger? (or just longer?)

Thanks

paul h
12-09-2015, 03:00 PM
I believe the .357 expander is a couple thou larger in dia, but I will have to measure them. I know cases expanded with the .357 expander will grip a .357" bullet, which is what I size my 9mm bullets to.

ioon44
12-10-2015, 08:59 AM
I was thinking about shortening the powder die to use the D funnel but my lathe isn't set up since I moved. Do you recall how much you had to cut off? Seems like the easiest way to go.

I had to cut it down to 2.840" new ones are 2.900", left just enough lip to hold the powder funnel and had to remove the last thread to clear the shell plate.

My D- funnel measures .3545" and I size to .3575", this has stopped the cases from swagging the boolits. I use Hi-Tek coating and 6-2-92 alloy, this has really great accuracy with no leading with 5 different 9mm's.

I used my bench grinder as I don't have a lathe.

paul h
12-10-2015, 01:24 PM
Perfect, thanks for the measurements! I'll probably just use a die grinder as setting up the lathe with involve building a workbench which is unfortunately down the list of honeydos after finishing the basement.

Dillon claims I'm the only one that has had a problem with the F funnel, I find that hard to believe.

kryogen
12-10-2015, 09:09 PM
I'll just buy the mr bulletfeeder as I've been told by the company that it's 358 and will work.

wv109323
12-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Perfect, thanks for the measurements! I'll probably just use a die grinder as setting up the lathe with involve building a workbench which is unfortunately down the list of honeydos after finishing the basement.

Dillon claims I'm the only one that has had a problem with the F funnel, I find that hard to believe.
I told them of this problem also. No larger expander available for the 9MM.

ioon44
12-11-2015, 09:11 AM

You are far from the only person who has had this problem. I made several calls to Dillon on this matter, they always maintained that I was doing something wrong. This is one area where there no BS warranty is BS.

kryogen
12-11-2015, 03:39 PM
why cant they just manufacture a funnel for cast bullet 9mm ?

GabbyM
12-11-2015, 06:47 PM
You are far from the only person who has had this problem. I made several calls to Dillon on this matter, they always maintained that I was doing something wrong. This is one area where there no BS warranty is BS.

I contacted them about 9mm depth and diameter also. They gave me the same BS. Told me I needed to set the expander down farther for more flare if I was having trouble starting a bullet. DUGH. I had no issue starting a bullet. I seriously don't think they have a clue.

IN addition Dillon's 38 special expander does not have a length to facilitate full wad cutter seating depth.

What I do with 9x19mm and 38 full Wad cutters. Lube and size in my single stage. Tumble clean brass. Then install a Lyman M die in station #1 to expand the case and seat a primer. I prefer to lube those tapered cases anyway.

Southern Son
12-12-2015, 07:27 AM
I agree that the Dillon Expanders for 9mm and .357 are too small (for my guns). I made my own on the lathe. The Dillon Expander for the 9mm swagged the boolit down to .354, the .357 Expander swagged it down to .356. The 9mm one I made leaves the boolit at .358 and the .357 leaves it at a tad over .360. Both of the expanders I made also go deeper into the case further so it does not squeeze the base of the boolit.

kryogen
12-12-2015, 01:04 PM
how come you guys all have a lathe? Where did you get it?

Southern Son
12-14-2015, 04:17 AM
how come you guys all have a lathe? Where did you get it?

I saved for mine, it only took about 15 years. Now that I have it, my wife refers to it as "The Mistress!"

kryogen
12-16-2015, 09:57 AM
how much does it cost

cowboy60
12-17-2015, 06:06 AM
I dont load for 9mm but for .358 lead I use a lyman m die in station 1 of my 550.
The dillon expander on station 2 is .354 so I adjust it to flare the case just a little.

I do the same thing with 45 acp using .452 lead.

flyingrhino
12-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Here is something else to think about. I cast the Lee .452 200 gr SWC. Since switching from loading these on my Square Deal B to the 650, I've had issues with 1 or 2 in 10 not passing the plunk test. Been pulling my hair out over it. I switched to the MBF funnel/expander and still have the problem. The MBF does make the bullet sit solidly in the case but I still had the issue you have. So, after studying what was happening....looks like the bullet seating die does not hold a bullet in perfect alignment with the case. If the bullet is even slightly cocked, the seating stem just pushes it in which bulges the side of the case slightly. This causes the completed round to fail the plunk test. So I ordered the Uniqutek bullet seating stem for the Dillon die. It presses on the shoulder, not the tip. I have only reloaded 500 rounds since then but I've only had 1 round not pass the plunk test. This might not be your issue but I would look at how stable the bullet is in the seating stem. I pulled my stem out and set a bullet in it. It wobbled all over. Put it in the new stem and it is very stable. This seating stem obviously keeps the bullet from going in crooked. I don't have this problem with my 9mm Lee 124 LRN in my Dillon dies. Check your seating stem. Might be something there.

30CalTy
04-07-2018, 03:55 PM
I know I'm very late to the game here, but providing info for prosperity.

My 9mm powder funnel mics at .353. My 38/357 funnel mics at .355

To get the 357 funnel into action for 9mm, I ground the bottom of the powder die back using a sander. Goes pretty quick. The trick is that you have to also take off about 1.5 turns of the thread off the powder die--otherwise, the thread contacts the shellplate and the die stops going down (in spite of how much you grind off). File the threads back first!

Even then I had to cut the powder die back past the shoulder on the inside that retains the powder funnel. Then I used a center punch around the bottom of the powder die in a half dozen places to stake the powder funnel so that it wouldn't drop out the bottom.