PDA

View Full Version : Considering an LCP

FergusonTO35
12-07-2015, 01:37 PM
I've decided to get a mini .380 and am leaning toward the Ruger LCP. Reason being, that the trigger pull on the current LCP feels better to me than every other small pistol ive ever tried, including my much loved Kel Tec P32. As much as I love that little pocket rocket, I don't shoot it well anymore. Over the past year I have put in a lot of pistol practice an have greatly improved my grip, focus, and trigger pull. Now, I shoot my other pistols dead on but I am consistently 2-4" low at ten feet with my Kel Tec. I think I have changed, not the gun. I understand these are not target guns, but I would be very happy with a cluster of shots around the point of aim and not consistently low.

So I need to hear some opinions and experiences. Does the current LCP tend to cluster shots around the point of aim? Do you consider the current LCP trigger pull to be a large improvement over the Kel-Tec and the original LCP? Do you think Ruger has gotten all the bugs out of this pistol? Finally, do you think Ruger is going to stay with the hammer fired design or come out with an S model as they did with the LC9? I would hate to buy an LCP and then an improved version come out next week.

Outpost75
12-07-2015, 01:53 PM
I bought one of these on a Cyber Monday sale off GunBroker for $199 and it is on the way.

Once it arrives I'll post a range report. My plan is to shoot a side-by-side comparison with my Beretta 3032 Tomcat INOX, which I like and shoot well, but I wanted to try a micro pistol with a bit more muscle.

FergusonTO35
12-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks, looking forward to it!

brtelec
12-07-2015, 02:07 PM
I have had one for a couple of years now. I carry it when my clothing may not properly conceal a larger handgun. When I first got it I bought 6 different types of personal defense ammo. My experiences with small semi-autos had taught me that they can sometimes be a bit finicky about what they we reliably function with. That was not at all the case with this pistol. It cycled through every round regardless of brand without a single failure. Accuracy is good considering what it is. I have been nothing but impressed by this little thing.

FergusonTO35
12-07-2015, 02:57 PM
Does your LCP shoot roughly to point of aim, as in it doesn't tend to cluster shots up, down, left, right?

pietro
12-07-2015, 03:15 PM

IMO, anyone who likes a KelTec P-32, ought to love a KelTec 3AT, ILO a Ruger elsie-pea (LCP).

I installed a KelTec belt clip on all three (P-32, P-3AT & LCP) for CCW. (YMMV)

I bought a new LCP a few years ago, and found that it was very "barky", recoiling viciously (compared to other small .380's), and soon sold it to a friend that was salivating about one.

There is an LCP forum that you can check out: http://rugerpistolforums.com/

I also did the buy/try thing on a NAA .380 (lousy ergonomics for me) and a Seecamp .380 (way too small for my hands) before settling on a pristine .380 Browning Model 1955, I came across.

http://s26.postimage.org/4b4apng1h/DSCN1692.jpg

I actually like the Browning better than even a .380 Walther PP I bought/tried.

dkf
12-07-2015, 03:33 PM
The LCP is a much nicer gun than the equivalent Keltec. I have the older model and my dad has the newer model. The trigger is an improvement on the newer version, lighter and shorter travel. The sights are larger on the newer model. They seem to shoot close enough to point of aim to me though it can depend a little on the ammo.

FergusonTO35
12-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Very nice, Pietro. Those old Brownings are just cool.

Actually my favorite carry piece is my Glock 42. I can shoot it just as well as my 19 and 26 and she is cheap to feed with boolit reloads. Unfortunately the 42 is just a little too big for pocket carry, and there are times when pocket carry is definitely the way to go. I am also considering the Kahr CW-380. It is slightly bigger than the Kel-Tec or Ruger but still very much pocketable. I have a Kahr CT-380, which is a nice pistol but largely supplanted by my Glock 42.

pjames32
12-07-2015, 05:49 PM
I've had an LCP for over 2 years. Carried it almost daily til I found a Rohrbaugh 9. The trigger is long, but manageable. If anything, I tend to shoot it a couple inches high. It does bark, recoil is manageable for ME and I paid well over $200. It has fed and shot every factory load I've put thru it. Can't say the same for my reloads. For what it is, a pocket pistol, I think it is a good gun.
PJ

dubber123
12-07-2015, 06:17 PM
It has been a good while since I handled a Kel-Tec, and I remembered the front sight being very minimal. Even so, a few swipes of a file on the front sight may raise your point of aim enough to keep you happy, without spending any money.

M-Tecs
12-07-2015, 06:22 PM
I have one of the older ones. I would like to sell or trade it for one of the new ones with the improved sights and triggers. http://www.ruger.com/news/2015-01-19.html Even with the minimal sights mine shots to POI very will so I will not sell it until I find one that POI's as well as the one I have.

jkl1861
12-07-2015, 06:43 PM
I bought one several months ago and added the Hogue Handall grip and Galloway 13lb spring. It does indeed cluster around point of aim. A fun little pocket shooter! A buddy of mine said he despised the LCP. After shooting mine, he changed his mind and ordered one! The bigger grip made all the difference to him.

Joe

Char-Gar
12-07-2015, 06:58 PM
I have had an LCP for a couple of years and carry it frequently when I can't carry anything larger. I have never put it on paper, but I can roll beverage cans with it at 15 feet. It is a last ditch firearm, that will serve you well to get somebody off you, but not a pistol you want to take to a fight, if you can have something bigger.

I am going out to dinner tonight with the Beloved Redhead and two other couples. It will go with in in dress slack and a nice shirt, riding in my pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster. I will have some much more serious ordnance in the console of my F150 truck, so the LCP is for the restaurant and to and from the truck.

On a daily basis, I carry a Ruger LW Commander in 45 ACP. The LCP is for the occasions when I can't.

paul h
12-07-2015, 07:15 PM
I ended up getting an LC9s Pro, trying to limit the number of rounds I load for otherwise I likely would have gone with the LCP.

Pretty nice setup with in the DeSantis holster with a spare mag.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/9841091612_3166ACEF42B6F68595728F6225C6DC9B.jpg

bgw45
12-07-2015, 07:20 PM
This I'm sure this is an exception but I have to report it anyway. One of my shooting buddies had a kaboom shooting his LCP. Split the barrel, broke the frame and all with factory Remington ammo. I sold mine and bought a Kahr. Put it through the mill and it runs everything. I'm probably just wimpy, but I just couldn't keep shooting mine. Ruger did replace the pistol.

Geraldo
12-07-2015, 08:27 PM
I carry one as a back up gun and it runs/shoots well. Hits roughly point of aim at 3-7 yards with factory ammo. I carry Critical Duty in it. If I were buying new, I'd get the LCP Custom that has real sights on it.

jmort
12-07-2015, 09:07 PM
Get the LC9s Pro

DerekP Houston
12-07-2015, 09:08 PM
I ended up getting an LC9s Pro, trying to limit the number of rounds I load for otherwise I likely would have gone with the LCP.

Pretty nice setup with in the DeSantis holster with a spare mag.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/9841091612_3166ACEF42B6F68595728F6225C6DC9B.jpg

This is my concealed carry of choice in a supertuck.

Art in Colorado
12-07-2015, 09:38 PM
If you get the LCP get the custom with yhe red trigger. IMO the trigger seems alot better then the original and it has sights. For me it shoots to the sights.

Treeman
12-07-2015, 10:45 PM
I have been blessed to be able to shoot just about every mini. 380 out there. FWIW, I like the P3at and the LCP but I choose to carry a Taurus TCP. Better sights and 4 for 4 (four different guns)at shooting to those little sights.

FergusonTO35
12-08-2015, 12:21 AM
I have already filed the front sight down on the P32, didn't change a thing. I'm going to send it back to Kel-Tec with some test targets. Maybe they can do something.

If Glock made a pocket size 42 I couldn't give them my money fast enough. They don't, so the LCP is currently the favorite for that role. I examined one today at the fun store and, while it is a copy, Ruger sure did it right. The current LCP trigger pull feels more like a heavy striker fire gun than a double action. The extractor is a much better, big pistol design. Finally, they have lowered the price to within spitting distance of Kel-Tec. In all likelihood I will put one on layaway next payday.

jkl1861
12-08-2015, 09:51 AM
By the way, when you get it, don't be surprised when you can't find your brass. These little boogers fling them every which way. At the indoor range, I only recover about 60%. The rest get flung down range, up into the light fixtures, onto other people, out the back door, etc.. It's a lot of fun!

FergusonTO35
12-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Yep, the Kel-Tec is the same way. With that one,you can keep the brass spray under control by shortening the ejector. My find rate is now 95% for that one. Speaking of the P32 I don't know why I didn't think of this before. I have an extra P32 barrel in my gun junkyard. I'll give that a try and see if anything changes. Hopefully it will and I can get KT to give me a new barrel. A small .380 is still in my plans though.

tygar
12-08-2015, 11:46 PM
I have the 9 LCP w/laser & really like it for carry when I cant carry the 45s & it shoots good. Have the S&W 380w/laser & don't really like it that much. I'd not hesitate to get the 380 LCP

FergusonTO35
12-09-2015, 09:49 AM
I tried the spare barrel in the P32 and it moved the point of impact up and to the right. I'm thinking the pistol needs a new barrel and/or slide. Will have the fun store send it back to KT with some test targets and a letter explaining the problem. Might also layaway an LCP while I'm there.

brtelec
12-09-2015, 10:12 AM
I originally bought a Kel-tec in .380 but every round of brass hit me square in the forehead. I figured maybe I was allowing the pistol to flip up a bit too much, not a problem I had ever experienced before, but hey who knows. Well that was not it. My gunsmith told me a little work on the extractor and/or ejector and that would fix it. So I did the smart thing and bought an LCP. I sold the Kel- Tec to a buddy and he had it modified to prevent taking one to the eyes, but now won't carry it.

dkf
12-09-2015, 12:34 PM
By the way, when you get it, don't be surprised when you can't find your brass. These little boogers fling them every which way. At the indoor range, I only recover about 60%. The rest get flung down range, up into the light fixtures, onto other people, out the back door, etc.. It's a lot of fun!

That is really my only complaint with the LCP. I even get brass that goes over my shoulder and hits me on the top of the head. My dads LCP does the same thing so I know its not just my gun.

Petrol & Powder
12-09-2015, 09:30 PM
Before you commit to the LCP will you consider other options?

I think the .380 Auto was a good choice 20+ years ago when there were far fewer choices in that class of CCW. We now have 9mm pistols that are very small that replace the 380 in that class. There is nothing wrong with the 380 but the 9mm out shines it in terms of performance AND is now available in the same size platform.

I know it is a lot of money but the Kahr pistols are great SD guns. I would suggest a PM9, or if the weight wasn't an issue, a MK9.

The other option for a pocket gun is a DAO, internal hammer 38/357 revolver.

I trained with and carried a large variety of guns but settled on the DAO snubnose revolver many years ago. The capacity isn't great (5 rounds) and the terminal ballistics will not impress the gelatin junkies. However the little DAO revolver is stone cold reliable, easy to carry concealed and cheap to practice with. Don't discount it because it is old school; it still has some great SD attributes.

Steve77
12-09-2015, 10:06 PM
Before you commit to the LCP will you consider other options?

I think the .380 Auto was a good choice 20+ years ago when there were far fewer choices in that class of CCW. We now have 9mm pistols that are very small that replace the 380 in that class. There is nothing wrong with the 380 but the 9mm out shines it in terms of performance AND is now available in the same size platform.

I know it is a lot of money but the Kahr pistols are great SD guns. I would suggest a PM9, or if the weight wasn't an issue, a MK9.

The other option for a pocket gun is a DAO, internal hammer 38/357 revolver.

I trained with and carried a large variety of guns but settled on the DAO snubnose revolver many years ago. The capacity isn't great (5 rounds) and the terminal ballistics will not impress the gelatin junkies. However the little DAO revolver is stone cold reliable, easy to carry concealed and cheap to practice with. Don't discount it because it is old school; it still has some great SD attributes.
I have a tiny 9mm, a sig 938. My wife has the LCP. The sig is substantially larger, and it is one of the smallest nines I have found.

I have shot the original and the improved LCP. The improved is significantly better in the trigger department. Way less travel than the first ones. Still pretty long, but at least it is reasonable now. The sights are a bit better on the new ones, but are still pretty low profile. That is probably to keep it snag free and as small as physically possible. I don't care for them per se, but if I were going for a true pocket gun, the new LCP would probably top my list.

Outpost75
12-09-2015, 10:08 PM
If the pocket rocket is going to be your primary carry gun, a 9mm is a better choice than a .380.

I've shot the Ruger LC9 quite alot and it is a good gun, but I'm a wheelgun guy and for something of similar size and weight, would stick to my trusted and familiar .38 snubby.

In my case the LCP purchase is as an alternate deep cover, low profile, discreet backup, having a bit more muscle than the .32 for those occasions when my preferred carry piece is too obvious.

I originally got the Beretta Tomcat INOX to carry on the boat and beach in summer when wearing nothing more than T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. It has survived dozens of complete saltwater dunkings, rinsing out at the end of the day in a hotel sink using tap water and baby shampoo, then rinsing in JP8, blowing out with canned air and reloading.

I don't know how the LCP will fare under similar treatment, but by this time next year I will know...

Now that I am retired the environment will be more upper Potomac river fishing and bass boat than Chesapeake Bay off Solomons Island crabbing or duck hunting, and sniffing jet exhaust from NAS Pax River.

FergusonTO35
12-09-2015, 10:10 PM
The pocket rocket is not going to be my primary carry, my Glock 42 and 26 share that duty.

Yes, I have experience with these guns you mention. The really small 9mm's are not shootable for me. I have owned a few snub .38's. I can shoot a K frame size wheelgun double action fairly well but the snubs are too light weight, I cannot keep them on target while pulling the trigger. Not much use in one of these revolvers if I can realistically only expect to hit something in single action. I may own another snub someday, they do have a certain charm to them.

In any event, by pocket pistol I'm talking about the traditional use of the phrase, as in what used to be the exclusive province of .22 and .25 autos, derringers, and tiny revolvers such as the Kolb. I am not under any illusions about the power of a small .32 or .380 auto. However, they certainly have their place in the scheme of things. For example, just hanging out in the house when I don't want the bulk of anything larger but would like to have a gun handy. Or, places where maximum discretion is required. Carried in a pocket holster the modern mini auto is small, flat, and looks and feels like a phone, wallet, or other common item that's not a gun. I have plenty of handguns and the LCP and others of it's kind have a place among them.

Petrol & Powder
12-09-2015, 10:22 PM
We can get into pissing contests all day long about 9mm vs. 380 and end up exactly where we started.

The reality is; we now have locked breach 9mm pistols that are in the same class as simple blowback 380's from 20 years ago in terms of size. Adherent's to both calibers can find an examples to support their argument but the fact remains that we now have more choices than we did in the past.
If we were talking 25 ACP vs. 380 auto I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
However, 380 auto (9mm x 17mm) vs. 9mm Luger (9mm x 19mm) is a totality different ball game. The energy of a 9mm Luger is far greater than that of a .380 auto and now that we have pistols of chambered in both cartridges that are roughly the same size, I can no longer see the advantage of the .380 auto.

I'm not condemning the 380 but I am stating that there is now a viable alternative in that same size class that didn't exist a few years ago.

FergusonTO35
12-09-2015, 11:47 PM
I agree with you 100%. Still, I cannot shoot any of the mini pistols in serious fighting calibers well at all. I have a flinch that can be very difficult to keep at bay, not going to invite it to get any worse by shooting a gun that is too much for me to deal with. Secondly, the small 9's and snub .38's are still larger than the LCP and other mini .32's and .380's. The butt end of my Glock 42 is still visible through the opening of my pocket when I wear slacks. Maybe I'm worried about nothing but I like the pistol to be covered 100% and nondescript as possible. Once again, the mini pistols have their place in my battery.

FYI, here are the other guns I carry depending on what I am wearing, what I am doing, and where I am going:

S&W 10-5, S&W 10-10, Ruger Service Six, Taurus 82, Ruger Single Six convertible, Glock 19, Glock 26, Glock 42.

Some guns I used to carry but sold them because they did not work for me:

Ruger SP-101, Rossi 68, Kel-Tec P11, Ruger SR9C, Ruger P95, Kel-Tec PF-9, Beretta Bobcat, S&W 642, Charter Arms Undercover, Kahr CW-9.

Lloyd Smale
12-11-2015, 07:07 AM
ive got two both have lasers on them because to me the sights were about useless. Maybe a laser isn't even needed on a gun that is a 10 footer but it makes them more fun to shoot when I'm playing. THey are not primary carry guns. They reside in my truck and jeep for times I don't have a gun and just need something to stick in my pocket. Both have been VERY reliable and that's the only test a gun like this needs to pass. As long as it goes bang when I pull the trigger its a winner.

lonewolf5347
12-11-2015, 08:59 AM
point and shoot 3 to 7 yards no need for sights
I like my Ruger LCP and as far as 380 cal. a few rounds to the vitals will stop at threat out to 10 yards with the right ammo.

Boolseye
12-11-2015, 10:15 AM
I have a Taurus TCP, which is what the LCP was based on. Basically the same gun, better trigger than my friend's LCP. Definitely shoots low, but dead center. Aim high :-)

Outpost75
12-11-2015, 12:13 PM
I picked up my Ruger LCP .380 ACP yesterday. Online "complaints" you will read from reviewers are in regard to the tiny sights, and a "long" DAO trigger pull, which both seem to this old wheelgun guy as familiar as my trusted Colt Detective Special.

Others online comments suggest to me that those particular online reviewers really don't understand what a mousegun is FOR! It isn't for primary carry. It is a hide-out, backup gun for when "any gun is better than none," intended to "shoot and scoot" to create a window for escape, and neutralize threats from contact to 20 feet. Up close and personal point-shoot, double-tap and run country! If you can manage to shoot a group the size of Big Mac at 50 feet, that is a bonus!

Old wheelgun guys like me, are comfortable with a long DA trigger pull like a revolver. THAT is exactly what I want. It had a few rough spots in its initial takeup when first taken out of the box, but after cycling the slide and dry firing 100 times it smoothed up nicely. The sight picture on the LCP is much better than my on my Colt snubby! I can see the sights clearly without corrective lenses! Having low profile sights and controls mean there are no sharp edges to snag, no, mechanical safety to fool with. K.I.S.S. principle: grasp, point, row the boat trigger stroke, BANG~!

My initial observations prior to shooting are that the LCP fits well in the same El Paso Saddlery pocket holster that my Tomcat does, but is a bit thinner and MUCH lighter. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but will do so soon in a few days. I plan a 500-round shakedown to become thoroughly familiar with it before carrying it. Dummy rounds assembled with Accurate 36-125T cast bullets hand cycle smoothly and eject freely. The bullet forepart is lightly engraved by the rifling, as shown in the photo, but this doesn't impede free chambering or extraction of loaded rounds.

It sucks that they only ship it with one magazine. I like to have at least three for any carry pistol, but five is better and seven is sweet! Midway has Promags for it in stock, Ruger mags being out of stock and no backorder, so I ordered FOUR, which added to the factory mag is quite adequate to have spares stashed around.
155382 155383 155380155381155384

Please chime in if you have any experience with this piece.

Where do your sights hit?

What ammo you are using?

How you are carrying it?

How many rounds you have fired through yours?

Any drips, runs or errors?

General impressions and useful information appreciated.

I've heard from others that 95-grain FMJ hardball ran better in the LCP for them than lighter JHP bullets. I have also found this true with most .380s. I got some Winchester Train 95-grain FMJFN, Fiocchi 95-grain FMJRN hardball and Remington 102-grain Ultimate Defense I intend to try, along with my 125-grain lead flatnose with 2.5 grains of Bullseye, about 830 fps.

My range report to follow later, so stay tuned...

Steve77
12-11-2015, 12:14 PM
I have a Taurus TCP, which is what the LCP was based on. Basically the same gun, better trigger than my friend's LCP. Definitely shoots low, but dead center. Aim high :-)
The original trigger LCP had was Looong! I worked up a load for my wife's carry gun with that trigger. It would print 2.5 inch groups at 7 yards, but it took a ton of concentration for trigger control while keeping the sights on target.

The updated trigger has significantly less travel. My hunting partner has one that I have shot plenty. The trigger takes less thought to put accurate shots on target. It shoots same size groups as the other trigger with a lot less effort. Both have good inherent accuracy, but most shooters have a tough time shooting tiny groups with the tiny sight radius.

I keep tossing around the idea of a pocket gun. The LCP and the bodyguard are the two that seem best suited. I haven't shot the bodyguard, so I will reserve judgement on that one.

Steve77
12-11-2015, 12:25 PM
I have had great luck with 100 grain cast out of my wife's gun. It was a LEE 356-102 WW lube sized to .356. CCI primers and 3 grains of Green Dot. Super cheap load and 9 shot group size was 2.95 inches with the old style trigger. I was able to get better groups occasionally, but 3 inch groups are the norm for this load. Use my load data at your own risk, obviously.

Bonz
12-11-2015, 12:27 PM
I carried my Ruger LCP for about 1.5 years but would never keep a round in the chamber because it pre-cocks the hammer when you chamber a round. The only other issues that I had with it was that it eats the guiderod. When I bought the 2nd stainless guide rod, I also changed the spring to a Wolf custom spring. Seems to have fixed the guide rod problem. I ended up buying the new S&W Bodyguard .380 because, IMHO, its safer to carry with a round in the chamber. Its a tad bigger than the Ruger LCP and certainly does not shoot as nice as the Ruger LCP. Think www.palmettostatearmory.com may still have them on sale for $199.00

FergusonTO35
12-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Outpost, I have been shooting wheelguns alot longer than autos even though I'm only 37. Tiny sights and a long trigger pull are very familiar to me and do not necessarily preclude good shooting. Before my Kel-Tec P32 developed POI problems I could shoot a 1.5" group dead center at 15 feet pretty easily. I don't use hollow points or lighter than standard bullets in any of my pistols, only solid lead, plated, or FMJ. I have the Lee 356-102-2R and 356-95-RF molds which make great boolits.

Called up my dealer today, he had the black LCP in stock but not stainless. I asked him to go ahead and find a stainless for me, it only costs about $20.00 more. Hopefully I will have it in a week or two. I understand these pistols fling brass pretty far. Do the Wolff 13 pound recoil springs help in this regard? Also, is there really a need for the extra power firing pin spring that Wolff includes in the pack? I would assume that is only to further lessen the chance of a slam fire with the stronger recoil spring.

Outpost75
12-11-2015, 01:18 PM
If the gun works out of the box, I'm not inclined to substitute after-market parts which may have unintended consequences.

I can live with lost brass.

jkl1861
12-11-2015, 01:30 PM
The 13lb spring seems to reduce muzzle-flip, felt-recoil, whatever you call it. It reduces the punishment so you can shoot more. Probably didn't need it, but I was buying other stuff from Amazon and thought I'd give it a whirl. I didn't notice any change on the flung brass. I just pick up what I can and buy the rest back from the gun range when I need it :)

I recommend to just shoot it straight from the box. If you do have any complaints, I bet someone has already found a modification to address it.

The Hogue grip was really the only thing I NEEDED to add. The spring was just for kicks - well less of them actually :)

lonewolf5347
12-11-2015, 03:18 PM
I shoot Point of aim with the Ruger Lcp out to 12 yards
I have about 1,000 rounds down the barrel with both factory and lead reloads .
I run Missouri 95 gr. with 2.8 grains of bulleye powder .I Conceal Carry H.P Fiocchi ammo mixed with Hornady critical defense ammo .
The only other firearm I use for Conceal Carry is my Walter PPK/S again 380 cal. made by S@W 2002 year
I think 380 cal. with proper shot placement is going to stop a threat

dkf
12-11-2015, 04:25 PM
Outpost, I have been shooting wheelguns alot longer than autos even though I'm only 37. Tiny sights and a long trigger pull are very familiar to me and do not necessarily preclude good shooting. Before my Kel-Tec P32 developed POI problems I could shoot a 1.5" group dead center at 15 feet pretty easily. I don't use hollow points or lighter than standard bullets in any of my pistols, only solid lead, plated, or FMJ. I have the Lee 356-102-2R and 356-95-RF molds which make great boolits.

Called up my dealer today, he had the black LCP in stock but not stainless. I asked him to go ahead and find a stainless for me, it only costs about $20.00 more. Hopefully I will have it in a week or two. I understand these pistols fling brass pretty far. Do the Wolff 13 pound recoil springs help in this regard? Also, is there really a need for the extra power firing pin spring that Wolff includes in the pack? I would assume that is only to further lessen the chance of a slam fire with the stronger recoil spring.

The stainless LCP is nice, my dad has one. It is worth the $20 extra for the stainless IMO. I use the factory springs without issue. If you want to change any springs the only one I would change is the recoil spring. The LCP can be a little hand stinger and changing the recoil spring can help that.

Boolseye
12-11-2015, 05:12 PM
my TCP throws brass right back over my head. It can be hard to find.

FergusonTO35
12-11-2015, 05:22 PM
I am a brass scrounger by nature, sorry I can't help it.

birch
12-12-2015, 12:23 AM
I have the improved lcp with crimson trace laser and it is perfect for me. If I can feel a carry piece, I tend to not carry. I can drop this in my pocket and forget it is there. Also, I have tried every available factory ammo and worked up stout to very anemic hand loads and have never had a ftf of any kind. I even tried a 85gr lead over .5 gr bullseye and it ejected the case.

Steyr47
12-12-2015, 10:34 AM
I bought the LCP Custom (red trigger) a few months ago. I'm happy. It shoots/cycles everything I've tried. I still have my P32. The LCP has bigger sights, so it is not quite as small as the KelTec, but still pocket size (in a DeSantis Nemesis). I shot better groups with the LCP & its sights, but not sure if that really matters for its intened purpose. One writer mention the Kahr PM9. I've got a PM40. Either certainly has a lot more HP, but they are bigger, of course. The PM is not a pocket pistol for me.

FergusonTO35
12-12-2015, 11:55 AM
When it comes to caliber choice for hunting or defense I always stick with what I know I can shoot well and practice as much as I can. A well placed shot is always your best chance of success. In case the first shot wasn't so well placed, mild recoil and muscle memory from frequent practice will allow you to put follow up shots quickly.

Steve77
12-13-2015, 03:41 PM
Some time back, I gave my brother in law some of the Lee 102 grain bullets that shot so well in my wife's LCP. I was at his house yesterday and he said his LCP won't feed them. I shot about 30 of his loads through my wife's gun with one fail to feed. His feed ramp has a sharper leading edge than my wife's and seems to dig into the bullet nose and jam. He also just bought a bodyguard for my sister. I shot it and liked it. The trigger was ridiculously stiff though.

saleen322
12-13-2015, 07:54 PM
I have a LC9 (with the hammer) and it shoots point of aim out to 10 yards grouping under 4" 8-shot groups at that distance which I think is a reasonable distance for something that size. I would think the LCP would be similar.

S. Galbraith
12-14-2015, 01:29 AM
I'm just not a fan of the small pocket autos. I find them hard to shoot well, and they generally are more prone to malfunction due to the short grip, light slide, and stronger recoil spring. The aluminum J-Frames are a superior choice from my experience, or just bump up to a subcompact 9mm.

Blackwater
12-14-2015, 09:49 AM
I've had my little M-738 TCP for over a year now, and I'm very happy with mine. Shoots to point of aim for me, but that can vary from person to person due to differences in hold and trigger pull techniques, so that'a always going to be a variable. I've shot 4 rattlesnakes with it, all head shots, and have yet to miss the heads. Not bad for a tiny little pistol I carry in my pocket everywhere I go all the time, so I'm never unarmed.

What sold me on the little Taurus was the trigger pull. I compared 4 or 5 in the gunshop that would have been consistently concealable, and the little Taurus had the most "shootable" trigger of them all. I reasoned as you did when you said, "A well placed shot is always your best chance of success. In case the first shot wasn't so well placed, mild recoil and muscle memory from frequent practice will allow you to put follow up shots quickly." I just figured that any small gun would need precise bullet placement, and with that in mind, I knew that a good, consistently shootable trigger was the real key to that, and went with the Taurus, despite some initial misgivings about the brand name. I've been very well pleased with mine, and as someone noted, I'll chase the brass if that's the price I have to pay to ensure I'm never unarmed. There's always some price to pay for what we want, and the more we abandon the important things in search for a panacea, the more we tend to get less than optimum results.

I just placed my own personal premium on being able to place my shots with this small caliber, and it's worked out good so far. I'm armed at all times, and CAN, if I need to, make head shots at commonly encountered ranges in most SD scenarios. I've even shot out to @ 25 yds., and I would definitely not want me shooting at me at that distance. Speed and concealability are fine, but accuracy is rather final if we ever really have to use these little guns. I'm happy with my choice.

FergusonTO35
12-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Thanks Blackwater. My little Kel-Tec .32 gave me the same service until it developed the problem of shooting low. Until now it could make golf balls dance no problem. I have considered the TCP and, unless I get a smoking deal on one, I'm going with an LCP instead. The Elsie costs just a bit more and I think it is going to be in the Ruger line for quite awhile. I think Taurus is going to discontinue the TCP, they have already dropped the .32 Auto version. Ruger has always exceeded my expectations so they get the nod this time.

Boogieman
12-14-2015, 02:35 PM
I'm just not a fan of the small pocket autos. I find them hard to shoot well, and they generally are more prone to malfunction due to the short grip, light slide, and stronger recoil spring. The aluminum J-Frames are a superior choice from my experience, or just bump up to a subcompact 9mm.
Try a Ruger LC9s , they are just a little bigger than a LCP the recoil spring is lighter, slide racks with less effort sights are much better & it's a 9mm. Wife just bought one .she loves it.

FergusonTO35
12-14-2015, 03:34 PM
LC9s is sweet for sure. For a pistol of that size I am well covered by my Glock 42.

S. Galbraith
12-14-2015, 10:27 PM
Try a Ruger LC9s , they are just a little bigger than a LCP the recoil spring is lighter, slide racks with less effort sights are much better & it's a 9mm. Wife just bought one .she loves it.

I will have to look into it. I've shot the LCP, and of course didn't like it.

TXGunNut
12-15-2015, 12:01 AM
I carried a P3AT for a hideout gun for several years until a few months ago when I happened onto an LCP. The two guns look almost identical (except my P3AT is missing a bit of blue) and many parts look like they will interchange. The range is where the LCP really shines. The latest sights are actually useful, trigger is surprisingly smooth and the accuracy is more than adequate. It shoots and handles well enough that I enjoy shooting it, even ordered a conversion kit for my 550 to keep up with it. The P3AT's sights were useless, trigger long & inconsistent and accuracy was barely adequate but it is a belly gun, after all. The Kel-Tec was a pretty good gun back when it came out, Ruger's LCP takes all the P3AT's best features and refines them.
Congrats on a nice little carry gun.

Outpost75
12-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Not sure how well this picture will display, but I find the sights on my current production LCP quite adequate, although I still need to do a serious range session to determine where it hits and how the various ammos play. Promag spare mags arrived from Midway today, so time to go shoot!

155619 Range report pics follow. All the ammos ran OK.

Groups were fired 2-handed, resting over the roof of the little Toyota Rice Burner.

Winchester 95-gr. FMJFN"Train" 804 fps, 18 Sd
Remington 102-grain GS "Ultimate Defense" 845 fps, 45 Sd
Fiocchi 95-gr. FMJRN 853 fps, 34 Sd
Accurate 36-125T, 2.5 grains Bullseye 768 fps, 29 Sd
Accurate 36-125T, hollowpointed 114-grains, 2.5 Bullseye 815 fps, 15 Sd
Accurate 36-125T, 6.3 grains Alliant #2400, 859 fps, 22 Sd, vicious recoil!

FergusonTO35
12-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Looking good. Are you really shooting a 125 grain slug out of that thing? Yikes! I have a target hanging up over my loading bench of a group less than half of any of those right on the bull. I made it with my Kel-Tec P32 back when I first got it in spite of the tiny sights and a long and inconsistent trigger pull. That's no boast about my miserable abilities, rather it shows what these little guns are capable of. I hope KT makes it right again as I really love this pistol and cartridge.

I am going back to the fun store today to see if a stainless LCP has come in. The much improved sights, trigger pull, and my very good experience with Ruger are what has made me decide to get an LCP. Yes, it is an improved copy of the Kel-Tec P3AT, just as the three screw Blackhawk was an improvement of the SAA. All gunmakers do it to some extent. If John Marlin hadn't set out to improve on the Winchester I wouldn't have my beloved 336, 1894, and 1895!

Outpost75
12-16-2015, 12:12 PM
Yes, I am shooting 125-grain bullets! The HP version is 114 grains.

tygar
12-16-2015, 12:24 PM
As I said before I have the Ruger 9mm with laser & find it to be a very good pocket gun. In fact, in about 1/2hr the wife is going to try it out & the S&W 380 (which I don't like as well as the Rugers) & decide if she wants to carry one of them instead of her S&W titanium .38, I also bought a bunch of different self defense ammo for all of them & will try them out. She has been carrying Glasers in her 38 & I think maybe some of the new hi tech stuff would be a better choice for winter & heavy clothing. (although its been in the 60s & even up to 70 in VA in dec is nuts).

tygar
12-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Well back from shooting. Wife didn't like the S&W 380, it was too small to shoot comfortably. The Ruger 9mm fit OK but hurt her 70yo hands. She would shoot my 625ACP a lot easier. Loved a little S&W airweight .22 I just got & used a couple boxes spinning the little 22 spinner targets.

So, I guess the LCP is still mine. At least I got to shoot a bunch of .45s. Was function/endurance testing a S&W 4513TSW I have been considering carrying due to the single/double action & knew it was fairly accurate, plus the 625 & 325PD.

Ran 100+ thru it with RN/FN lead, FMJ, 3 different "defense" loads & all shot great. So, at least with this S&W auto, I like it all right.

Also shot the 380 & LCP9 & as always they functioned fine & from 5yds were all in the kill zone.

It's back to pick whichever floats your boat the S&W or LCP.

square butte
12-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Outpost - I don't see that one listed in Tom's catalog. Is it new and just not listed yet?

Outpost75
12-16-2015, 09:43 PM
Outpost - I don't see that one listed in Tom's catalog. Is it new and just not listed yet?

The catalog listing is 37-125T which is a .365 diameter for the 9x18 Makarov and .38 S&W. I ordered my mold based on the same drawing, but specified .362 bands and .358 nose to fit my .38 Colt New Police revolver and sized some of them to .357 diameter to try in the .380, which works fine. If I were ordering a mold specifically for the .380 ACP I would specify driving bands .357 with .355 nose diameter.

Hollow-point conversion done by www.hollowpointmold.com

square butte
12-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Have you tried this design in a 9mm (9x19)? Looking at them for 32-20 as well. I have read some of you other posts on the 32 cal versions of this.

Outpost75
12-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Have you tried this design in a 9mm (9x19)? Looking at them for 32-20 as well. I have read some of you other posts on the 32 cal versions of this.

I don't do 9mm Para, but I'm sure that if somebody ordered a mold with the dimensions adjusted as I suggested above for the .380 ACP, that it would work fine. I know that Tom would do this with no problem.

In the .32 ACP, .32 S&W and 7.62x25 use the 31-087T. If you want a light .32-20 bullet it would work.

In the .32 S&W Long, and .32 H&R Mag. I use 31-114D, which is good in .32-20.

There are also 36-155D, 36-178D and 36-193D for the .38 Special and .380/.200 British.

These are modern adaptations of Keith's 1920s Modern Bond designs which feed more smoothly in leverguns than the later sharp shouldered SWCs. They are also very fast for reloading in DA revolvers with speed loaders and their meplat is large enough to be more effective on game than a roundnose.

square butte
12-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Like em all. I feel the wallet vac. slipping up on me. No .44 or .45's yet? Heavier .31s might be interesting. Sometime I will PM you and we can converse a bit more on the thinking that went into your design process. I do appreciate the work you have put into these.

Outpost75
12-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Oh yes, 43-225D for .44 Special and 45-245D for .45 Auto Rim

Design process was really pretty simple. It is the size of the meplat 0.66 of bullet diameter that does the work. A larger meplat than 0.7 impairs longer range grouping beyond 100 yards. While Keith preferred the full diameter front driving band to align rounds in loose chambers, doing so requires that bullets be sized to exact fit of each revolver which impedes fast simultaneous reloading of DA revolvers. Also, it has been my experience that Keith SWCs are not smooth feeders in leverguns.

The tapered nose is intended to cast large enough so that the forepart is positively engraved by the lands, and of sufficient length that the base of the bullet is still in the case mouth when the forepart begins to engage the rifling, so alignment is no problem. Nose diameter should be specified as EXACT cylinder throat size, so bullet can be tumble lubed as-cast and unsized, because the nose tolerance is specified NEGATIVE, so there is no issue with revolver bullets entering tight throats. In the .32 ACP and .380 ACP nose is lightly engraved upon chambering, but not so heavily as to impair feeding or cause hard extraction of loaded rounds.

Rifle feeding is smooth, game effect and accuracy very good.

FergusonTO35
12-18-2015, 04:05 PM
Stainless LCP's have pretty much vanished here, save for a few places that are way overpriced. I could get a black one, but then I know I would just keep wanting a stainless. My usual shop says that distributors are always low on everything right before Christmas and he should get alot more in January. Will probably shop for one then, bitter cold and soggy ground doesn't make finding brass much fun.

I went to the fun store at lunch just to poke around and hope to find some Bullseye or HP-38. Ixnay on the powder, but there was a little S&W 637 under the glass. I examined it and discovered it had a much nicer trigger pull than the other snubs I've owned, including a 642. Out of curiosity I asked the owner how much of a trade I could get for my Kahr CT-380 which has been replaced by my Glock 42. When he offered $40.00 more than what I was hoping for I knew I had hit paydirt so we sealed the deal.

Outpost75 and Petrol and Powder: :drinks:

tygar
12-18-2015, 05:35 PM
I just bought a bunch of powder from Midway, Widners & Natchez & I'm sure I saw Bullseye & or HP38 at one of them. Didn't need BE have a bunch but I got hard stuff like Unique, CFE223, Alliant stuff & other hard to find powders. Check them out & see if they still have it.

Outpost75
12-18-2015, 06:05 PM
I just picked up the Hogue Handall Grip Sleeve and put in on my LCP. BIG DIFFERENCE!

I think I will be able to shoot my hot 125-grain loads without bleeding all over the gun now!

The thickness addition is useful, but not excessive.

Holster is El Paso Saddlery pocket holster originally made for Beretta 3032, the LCP fits perfectly.

The 6-round Pro-Mags run fine. CountyComm key case carries two spare mags to stash in briefcase or whatever.

After 500-round shakedown test, if this runs well, I will follow same carry method I did with the .32 Beretta, one mag in the gun, a spare in the watch pocket of my trousers, strong side under the pocket holster, another mag then tucked between my dress sock and silk liner sock inside left ankle.

FergusonTO35
12-18-2015, 10:53 PM
An LCP is still in my future but the 637 should be fun also.

Doggonekid
12-22-2015, 02:08 AM
I don't own one but my son does and I shot it last week. I was rather impressed. Accurate, low recoil, and a good trigger pull. Nice little gun.