PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret Press owners step in please

rickomatic
04-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I've had an old style Lee Turret press for years that I just put back into service. I decided to upgrade it with the Auto Index option, and 4-hole turret. When I installed the Auto Index I also installed a new (as required per the Lee website) Auto Index Ram. The slot in the front of the new ram, and the shell holder cutout are not centered in the 6 o'clock position as the old one was, but are offset in the 7 o'clock position. Every picture I see or video I watch on Lee's website show it as being centered, and not offset.
I emailed them and they said I needed the new primer arm. But I am thinking that this ram was mis machined. Am I out in left field? Take a look at the pictures, and advise. Thanks.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/rickomatic/DSC_0030.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/rickomatic/DSC_0026.jpg

lathesmith
04-15-2008, 08:36 PM
rick, I don't see how the priming arm will work. I thought the linkage pin was drilled wrong, but on closer inspection I believe the ram slot is milled crooked. Did you ask Lee about this, or send them a pic? I use a Classic turret press, it's a little different, but that slot in the ram MUST line up with the primer arm for it to work.
lathesmith

rickomatic
04-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I did email them and they simply said I needed the new type primer arms, both large and small. However, every picture or video I see on their site, or in instructions I have show it as being lined up.
I know that the new type priming arms actually sit on a pin inside that slot in the ram, but even the shell holder cutout looks way out of whack when compared to any of the pictures or videos on their site.
I just sent them those pictures to them asking for a clarification. I also ordered a couple of the new type primer arms.

uncle joe
04-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm in agreement with lathesmith. If a new primer arm fixes that it will be a crooked one. Someone didn't look at the pin hole when they milled the primer slot or vice versa.:confused:

rickomatic
04-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I sent the pictures to Lee and they did in fact say that it was properly machined. I ordered two of the new style primer arms. I can still use my Auto Prime hand tool and then set up the other dies until the new primer arms arrive.
I might email them again and tell them that they should mention the fact that new style primer arms are needed in addition to the new ram when updating an old press.

compass will
04-17-2008, 10:46 AM
With the correct primer arms (that sit on that pin inside the ram) it will work. the new primer arms are inside the ram when its all the way down.

I have the Lee Turret press (not the classic) that is around 1 year old. For some reason I think my arm is centered, but I can't recall (even though I loaded 50 rounds last night).

Also check out the lee safety prime, Its a feeder for the new primer arms so you don't have to touch the primers. it works great (accept the last primer will never come out)

http://www.leeprecision.com/graphics/parts/2889.jpg

This picture is upside down, but that small "crotch" directly on the other side of the cup that holds the primer sits on the pin that is within the ram. When the ram is all the way down, the metal "tail" shown on the LS of the cup sticks out of the ram. The reason for this "tail" is so the primer arm rotates up into the position where it can install the primer as the press goes down. When the ram goes up, the "tail" has enough weight so the primer arm swings out so you can install add the next primer into the cup.

lathesmith
04-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Okay, I see now the offset is to get the "tail" to a stronger spot on the press body. I just went and took a closer look at my Classic Cast Turret press, and it uses an offset ram. Yes, with the new primer arm your setup will work fine. I was thinking of the old setup with the pivoting arm, which of course needs the slot to line up. Now that I have learned to deal with its quirks, I really like the new priming setup. It is fast and convenient, and you never have to actually touch the primers. Enjoy!
lathesmith