PDA

View Full Version : Casting in 2 out of 4 cavities - suggestions?

RogerDat
12-07-2015, 03:02 AM
I ordered a mold from NOE that has 2 cavities GC and 2 PB. I'm wondering if using just two cavities to do a batch of one type or the other is viable. Any advice on how it may cast different If I'm only using two of the cavities.

First NOE mold .314-202 gr. for 303 Enfield. I may cast a few PB for mild loads or in the event that gas checks become hard to get again or too expensive. But mostly want to cast GC holes and not use the PB holes.

chsparkman
12-07-2015, 04:54 AM
I've never tried that, but it seems to me that the metal around the empty cavities would act as a heat dissipator which might not allow the other two cavities to heat up enough to cast good boolits. Try it and let us know.

Edward
12-07-2015, 05:47 AM
I cast all the time using 2 out of 4 ,one of my favorite is a NOE 460 -350-RF . Some days I need GC and other days PB .It also happens with
Lee molds w/REAL ,RB molds and I have not had any problems doing so .

Tatume
12-07-2015, 07:18 AM
I have a two cavity LBT mold that casts different 45 caliber bullets. My experience is that the bullets are more consistent if both cavities are filled each time.

bedbugbilly
12-07-2015, 09:56 AM
It's like anything else . . . try it and see. I have a feeling that it will work just fine when you are up to heat. I have several molds (granted they are tow cavity) that have different design in each cavity - steel and aluminum - and it has never presented a problem. A 4 cavity? I think it will work without any problem.

LynC2
12-07-2015, 10:15 AM
I have an Accurate 4 cavity mold that has 3 different bullet designs and I cast singles or doubles without any issues once it is up to temperature. It does cool down faster than using all cavities and you may have to cast faster or hotter than normal. Otherwise it isn't a problem.

RogerDat
12-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Thanks, I was slipping in at the last minute to a 20% NOE sale that ended Sunday. Had to take what was in stock and make the purchase before getting a chance to get any feedback on my question. I guess it sounds like it should work two cavities at a time, I may just need to adjust to a slightly different rhythm or process. Excited! My molds are Lee 2 cav or used Lyman molds. First NOE mold & first new high end mold.

With this mold and a 3 cavity .225 GC mold I ordered I can now cast at least something for everything I need, except shotgun.... give me time on that. Dear wife needs to get over the shock of the NOE bill before I move on to anything else. Have to meet her half way. She won't be getting to enjoy the happy part of making pile of nice bullets. Just the not so happy part of the bill.

Fishman
12-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Roger, I have done it and it works ok if you preheat on a hotplate. It does take longer to get a rhythm going though and most times I just cast with all the cavities and sort them afterwards. Plain base in the .303 is fun with light loads, or perhaps you could just trade them on the swap and sell.

Anymore I will forgo the combo moulds. The frugal part of me (the reason I started casting) has a hard time with it though.

RogerDat
12-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Roger, I have done it and it works ok if you preheat on a hotplate. It does take longer to get a rhythm going though and most times I just cast with all the cavities and sort them afterwards. Plain base in the .303 is fun with light loads, or perhaps you could just trade them on the swap and sell.

Anymore I will forgo the combo moulds. The frugal part of me (the reason I started casting) has a hard time with it though.

I'm figuring worse case I'll sort as you suggest and the PB boolets can be a "do over" if not used. I'll just throw them back in the pot afterwards to melt and re-cast. 303 British is just not likely to use a high volume of bullets anyway so a dual cavity would have been fine.

While I like a 303 with a full power load once in awhile most of the time I don't mind going mild enough that I should be able to make PB work. One never knows if GC's might get hard to come by and while I would like to have a check maker eventually I don't have one yet so a PB should give me a usable round as long as I have lead & powder.

I also have a Lee 312-160 grain I plan on trying for 100 yard plinking round in the 303, just to see how it does. Main use for mold is for 7.62x39 but there is load data for the Enfield using that bullet so..... Little PC and maybe a "bump" to help them fatten.... could work out as a short range grandkid target round if nothing else. Or be further evidence for what don't work. Fun either way.

Fishman
12-07-2015, 11:47 PM
I think you will be pleased with the 160. The 155 does well in any gun it fits in for me.