PDA

View Full Version : Harbor freight mini cut off saw

ndnchf
12-06-2015, 08:59 PM
This has probably been discussed before, but I'd like to mention it again. Over the years I've tried different methods for cutting down brass - a hacksaw, a lathe, tubing cutter. All were successful, but less than ideal. After reading about and watching videos of the HF mini cut off saw, I finally bought one. I have to say it is the easiest way BY FAR to cut down brass. It runs smoothly and cuts cleanly. With a HSS fine tooth cut off blade, it slices through my 25-20 SS cases like butter. With the usual 20% off coupon, cost was under $28. Money well spent!

bangerjim
12-06-2015, 09:26 PM
It does cut thin brass tubing, small brass bar stock (3/8"), wood dowels and wood sticks very well. I have 3 of them.

The so-called HSS blade is far from a true industrial-grade slitting saw! I use real ones in my milling machines and they will slice thru just about any metal. The blades used by HF will dull in seconds when you try to cut off steel screws, bars, etc.

Take your cuts s-l-o-w and it will do well.

So be warned....it is great for non-ferrous metals, plastics and woods.

I have gone thru 6 blades on mine so far! And one complete saw! The ribbed drive belt broke and you cannot get a spare, so I threw it in the garbage and bought another complete saw.

For cutting simple thin brass cases, it will do the job.

There are more powerful saws like this on the market, but they run close to $100. And will take REAL HSS slitting saw blades as well as carbide-tipped blades.

roysha
12-07-2015, 01:19 AM
It does cut thin brass tubing, small brass bar stock (3/8"), wood dowels and wood sticks very well. I have 3 of them.

The so-called HSS blade is far from a true industrial-grade slitting saw! I use real ones in my milling machines and they will slice thru just about any metal. The blades used by HF will dull in seconds when you try to cut off steel screws, bars, etc.

Take your cuts s-l-o-w and it will do well.

So be warned....it is great for non-ferrous metals, plastics and woods.

I have gone thru 6 blades on mine so far! And one complete saw! The ribbed drive belt broke and you cannot get a spare, so I threw it in the garbage and bought another complete saw.

For cutting simple thin brass cases, it will do the job.

There are more powerful saws like this on the market, but they run close to $100. And will take REAL HSS slitting saw blades as well as carbide-tipped blades.

Brands please.

Artful
12-07-2015, 11:34 AM
[/B]Brands please.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mini+chop+saw&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amini+chop+saw (https://www.google.com/#q=miniature+cut+off+saw&tbm=shop)

https://www.google.com/#q=miniature+cut+off+saw&tbm=shop

If I didn't have better options I'd probably look at
one of the stands that adapt the 4 - 4 1/2 grinders

bangerjim
12-07-2015, 12:51 PM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mini+chop+saw&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amini+chop+saw

https://www.google.com/#q=miniature+cut+off+saw&tbm=shop

If I didn't have better options I'd probably look at
one of the stands that adapt the 4 - 4 1/2 grinders

Head's up....................that angle grinder thing is a ***! DO NOT waste your money!!!!!!! Flimsy and totally inaccurate. And leaves ragged edges on thin metal. Used mainly for chopping off rebar and conduit! Who cares about precision on that stuff!

And angle "GRINDERS" (not saws) are made to grind thru ferrous metals, not brass, aluminum, copper, wood, plastic!

If you want a good saw get the Proxxon!!!!!! I have a lot of their power tools and it is all unbelievable Euro-quality, power, and performance. I know....I know......it does cost a lot! But you can't take it with you!

Notice the selection of different blades at the bottom of the Proxxon Amazon listing! Good stuff.

If you want power and performance, look beyond HF!

banger

ndnchf
12-07-2015, 06:15 PM
The mini cut off saw is clearly not in the same class as the bigger, heavier models. But for light work like case cutting, it works great. Even if it craps out after 6 months, it's well worth it for the labor savings.

Mal Paso
12-08-2015, 10:31 PM
The mini cut off saw is clearly not in the same class as the bigger, heavier models. But for light work like case cutting, it works great. Even if it craps out after 6 months, it's well worth it for the labor savings.

Jim agrees with you but it got lost in the Post.

Perfect tool for the job, good post!

jmorris
12-09-2015, 12:29 AM
I have to say it is the easiest way BY FAR to cut down brass.

Easier than this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNXz97yWp2w

vzerone
12-09-2015, 07:38 PM
I know some guys that use the table type tile cutters with very good success. They use it of course with no water. Personally I like the mini chop saw from Harbor freight for the money.

bangerjim
12-09-2015, 07:47 PM
A tile/ceramic blade is a smooth steel disk with diamond dust embedded in it and should give a good smooth cut. Unlike a chop saw grit blade that hacks and grinds it's way thru ferrous metals.

banger

dragon813gt
12-09-2015, 07:50 PM
There is no reason not to use the water if you're using a tile saw. The blade is meant to have water running over it for one. It will wash away any small shavings as well. A trip in a vibratory tumbler will dry them nicely. Building a jig for one would be extremely simple as well. To bad it's cold here. Because I'd set mine up and try it. I don't need a high volume of brass.

ole 5 hole group
12-09-2015, 08:20 PM
I purchased that hf chop saw a couple years back to cut down 500 Alaskan and 460 SW brass. My cut off saw doesn't hold any cartridge case very well, so I had to make a couple wood block gigs in order to get somewhat of a clean cut and then finish off with a regular case trimmer.

From my experience - I would recommend spending a little more money on a quality cut off saw, as you'll live longer because your blood pressure won't keep spiking doing fairly simple chores with a cut-off saw.;)

ndnchf
12-09-2015, 08:23 PM
The mini cut off saw isn't quite as fast as that automated contraption, but it's a heck of a lot simpler and costs a fraction of what that thing would cost to build.

BTW - it uses a fine toothed steel blade to slice through the case. No abrasive grit to deal with.

Steve77
12-09-2015, 10:40 PM
I have the HF saw and bought a jig for my 300 BLK. If I start cutting down other cases, I will buy or make jigs for those calibers too. Good tool for the money. For heavier cuts I have different equipment. I try not to use the wrong tool for a given job; This is a good economical setup for cutting brass.

popper
12-10-2015, 03:01 PM
bought a jig for my 300 BLK - $10 or $35 verity? Which one is better?

dragon813gt
12-10-2015, 05:52 PM
bought a jig for my 300 BLK - $10 or $35 verity? Which one is better?

Contact member vonzep. Many of us have his jig. Works perfectly.

Edit: He has a website now - http://www.zepprecisionmachines.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

labradigger1
12-10-2015, 07:16 PM
Ndnchf, you are killing me here, why in the world would you ever cut off SS brass, don't you know those are as rare as hens teeth? Especially to SS shooters as myself.

ndnchf
12-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Ndnchf, you are killing me here, why in the world would you ever cut off SS brass, don't you know those are as rare as hens teeth? Especially to SS shooters as myself.

It's new jamison/captech 25-20 SS basic brass. Not near not as rare as .32 Ballard extra long that it is now becoming!

labradigger1
12-10-2015, 09:18 PM
No need for the explanation point, I was only kidding

ndnchf
12-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Look at it this way - this new brass is getting another #2 rolling block back in action! I know you have a sweet spot for #2s :bigsmyl2: