PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped tags.

jaysouth
12-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Although I have handicapped veteran tags on my vehicles, I make it a custom to park in the corners or edges of parking lots to avoid damage from others parking too closely or opening their doors into my paintwork.

Yesterday, i was at the grocery store and had parked on the edge of the lot. A woman and her son came walking by. She looked at my tags and said "you could park up there" pointing at the handicapped spaces.

I said "thanks, but those are for physically handicapped people".

Somebody must have called her name because she quickly hurried off towards the store.

Taylor
12-06-2015, 06:38 PM
I have handicap plates also.I don't use those spots either,just grab the first one I see.Of course,sometimes my knees and back might dictate otherwise.

Tom W.
12-06-2015, 07:06 PM
I had them on my truck and van when my late wife needed them. I also still qualify for them but I am one of those who think that they are also a magnet for theives.

MUSTANG
12-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Don't have them, and I'll be in dire straights before I get a set; but - it irritates me considerably to watch most of those with the tags come bounding out of their vehicles and almost set out at a sprint into the shopping center/grocery store/etc.. That coupled with the proliferation of the number of spots set aside for "Handicap Plates".

MrWolf
12-06-2015, 07:49 PM
I have the mirror mounted cards. Only use them when I am in really bad pain or know I will be on return to the car. There are a lot of people that abuse them.

Mal Paso
12-06-2015, 08:56 PM
[smilie=l: Thanks

jaysouth
12-06-2015, 09:31 PM
Don't have them, and I'll be in dire straights before I get a set; but - it irritates me considerably to watch most of those with the tags come bounding out of their vehicles and almost set out at a sprint into the shopping center/grocery store/etc.. That coupled with the proliferation of the number of spots set aside for "Handicap Plates".

My sentiments exactly, however I will take cheap, I mean free permanent tags that don't require annual renewals or inspections. Proud to be cheap. However I will leave the handicapped parking spaces to those that need them.

MaryB
12-06-2015, 09:41 PM
I have a mirror tag, it hangs low in the front seat and can't be seen unless I put it up on the mirror. I use the handicap spot when I do my bulk shopping the beginning of the month. By the time I push a 100 pound cart around the store my back is screaming at me and the cart is holding me up. My small trips just for fresh veg I park wherever unless my back is out like it has been the last 3 weeks!

scarry scarney
12-07-2015, 06:22 PM
On one vehicle, I have my Disabled Veteran's Plate, the other has the mirror tag. At my workplace, I use the disabled parking space. This way I never have to hunt for my car. When I go shopping, it depends on how I feel, and where I go. I seldom use the disabled parking spaces at the Base Exchange or Commissary. The Base Hospital, Never. IMHO, there are more deserving people than I.

Wal-Mart, it's a different story.

starnbar
12-07-2015, 06:34 PM
jaysouth you talk and think like I do how fast did she run after you said that.

jcwit
12-07-2015, 06:49 PM
We have a mirror tag for both vehicles. Both my wife and I have arthritis making walking really difficult, on top of that with my breathing I can not walk even 50 yds without stopping and gasping for air.

So, yes, I use the handicapped spaces, however if there ia an empty space 1 or 2 spaces away, I leave it for others.

Thing that gets me is the Amish drivers that take them shopping and use the handicapped space while their riders are shopping and the driver sits in the van reading a book.

Tackleberry41
12-07-2015, 07:22 PM
Here in TN it seems like it does not take much to get a handicap tag, 1 in 5 cars seems to have one. They generally overwhelm the alloted parking spots at the store. Its a small town, you get closer to Nashville and you see way fewer of them, but out in the sticks many have them. Some feel it means they can park in the fire lane. One in this small town, actually parks on the little ramp that goes to the doors at the store, blocking everyone else from going that way. She tends to give me dirty looks as I will say something. Like my son asked why people get to park there, told him thats the special %#@hole parking, loud enough so they will hear me. Her husband now stands there smoking cigarettes guarding the car, a cart got away and hit the side of the van last time it was parked there.

jcwit
12-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Here in TN it seems like it does not take much to get a handicap tag, 1 in 5 cars seems to have one. They generally overwhelm the alloted parking spots at the store. Its a small town, you get closer to Nashville and you see way fewer of them, but out in the sticks many have them. Some feel it means they can park in the fire lane. One in this small town, actually parks on the little ramp that goes to the doors at the store, blocking everyone else from going that way. She tends to give me dirty looks as I will say something. Like my son asked why people get to park there, told him thats the special %#@hole parking, loud enough so they will hear me. Her husband now stands there smoking cigarettes guarding the car, a cart got away and hit the side of the van last time it was parked there.

Now that's even worse than the Amish drivers.

Think I'd tell the store manger and if that didn,t accomplish anything I'd call the local police.

blackthorn
12-07-2015, 07:55 PM
In a lot of lots around greater Vancouver (BC) if you park in the fire zone or in a handicap stall with no sticker figure on a long walk or cab ride to get your car out of impound. Some lots have tow trucks sitting just waiting for someone to park in the fire zone, the door to the mall will hardly close behind the offender and the truck is there hooking up. I have several friends who are truly handicapped and it just ticks me off no end when I see those who are not disabled parking there.

MaryB
12-08-2015, 02:35 AM
MN has a free ride service for poor/disabled/elderly(well based on income, think last time I used it I paid $5 for a 60 mile round trip) that I have used a few times after surgery when I couldn't drive. We got to Walmart one time and the driver asked for my handicap tag. I asked him why and he said "so I can park close and see you when you come out". I looked at him and asked if his cell phone was broken and told him to drop me at the door, I would call when I was done!

Hardcast416taylor
12-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Let me see, heart problems and a bad back with an artifical knee along with an 8 year cancer survivor besides arthritis. Yes, I think I might qualify for a handicap tag. I spend the extra few bucks whenever new plates come around at the DMV, otherwise I just get the paper hanging tag. I also don`t use a handicap spot unless really necessary. I had a rear license plate stolen off my old Blazer simply because the plate number was 3 letters followed by 666 (demon cult want). I`ve also had people wonder why I park out from a store when there are vacant handicap spaces I could`ve used, as it is these spaces are usually taken by young and healthy "kids" of either sex that swear at me if I call them out about where they park.Robert

mexicanjoe
12-08-2015, 04:17 PM
My 12 Yoa son is a blind quadriplegic, and when someone parks too close we can't get him out of the van. I once had a car parked half way into the handicap spot. So......I parked behind smarty pants and went inside to shop. Came out 30 minutes later to find a 30 year old punk steaming mad.. He wanted to know why I parked behind him and I let him know. I also introduced him to my buddy the local police officer ,who issued him a citation for illegal parking... It was sweet! !!

jcwit
12-08-2015, 06:19 PM
My 12 Yoa son is a blind quadriplegic, and when someone parks too close we can't get him out of the van. I once had a car parked half way into the handicap spot. So......I parked behind smarty pants and went inside to shop. Came out 30 minutes later to find a 30 year old punk steaming mad.. He wanted to know why I parked behind him and I let him know. I also introduced him to my buddy the local police officer ,who issued him a citation for illegal parking... It was sweet! !!

Good for you. Fantastic!

shaune509
12-08-2015, 07:07 PM
Not about the parking per say but what gives the city the right to ticket a delivery or janitor crew for using the handycap space at 2am when the place is closed, happens alot here.
Shaune509

aspangler
12-08-2015, 07:26 PM
I have the mirror mounted cards. Only use them when I am in really bad pain or know I will be on return to the car. There are a lot of people that abuse them.
I also have the mirror tag along with the Veterns tag. I use them when I am in pain from the herniated disc that presses on the sciatic nerve. If I am not in pain and not going to be in the store too long I leave those spaces for others that need them. It p***** me off to see a young person park there and jump out and almost run in the store.

flyingmonkey35
12-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Not about the parking per say but what gives the city the right to ticket a delivery or janitor crew for using the handycap space at 2am when the place is closed, happens alot here.
Shaune509
The cops are being asses.

Plane a simple.

sparky45
12-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Just as a side note, maybe it will mitigate some of the irritation you get when you see a person that's not that handicapped utilizing a handicap parking spot. My wife has Parkinson's and we have the tags on both our vehicles because we each drive both vehicles. When we go to Hobby Lobby, as an example, I will let her off at the door and go shop down the street then drive back to wait for her to finish. I park in the handicap space closest to the entrance of the store. She's one of those shoppers that utilizes the cart for support while in the store. On occasion I will exit the vehicle and "dash" into the store and help her with her shopping. Maybe that's what you've observed from time to time.

shdwlkr
12-08-2015, 08:01 PM
I have arthritis in all my joints, a deteriorating spine, two shattered patellas and some days you would not know it and other days you would wonder why I am not in a wheel chair. Yes I have handicap tags and yes I use them at times and at other times I don't. If you are feeling good why not walk a little more to get the blood flowing, but if it hurts so bad that just living hurts then use what you can to reduce the pain

jeepyj
12-08-2015, 08:42 PM
A point to ponder from someone who doesn't need a handicap plate (yet). When there is an abidance of handicapped spaces and folks with the tags don't take them than means now there are two spaces that I can't park in. It is my understanding that the amount of spaces allotted in a lot is based on a % of tags given out at DMV. I have seen times that there is a full lot with several H/C spaces unused. Absolutely agree with the comments listed and watched my dad for years struggle with a leg that was shattered in an explosion and he would say "I'll save them for someone who really needs them" he would walk the length of the lot and the spaces that were designated for for a person like him we left vacant. Not trying say anything disrespectful or be in disagreement just another point of view.
jeepyj

MaryB
12-09-2015, 12:33 AM
How do you know that someone hasn't just left that spot? Or while you are in the store people haven't used them and left? The local Walmart doesn't have enough handicapped spots.

woodbutcher
12-09-2015, 01:15 AM
:evil: The most fun that I had ripping off a strip from someone parking in a H/C spot,was the day that I caught a supervisor with the local utility dept parked in a HC spot at the local Post Office.Gave him a reaming that would have made a DI blush.Every one for 50 feet around heard the reaming.Oh yeah,he was driving a city owned vehicle too.:twisted:
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

jeepyj
12-09-2015, 09:46 AM
How do you know that someone hasn't just left that spot? Or while you are in the store people haven't used them and left? The local Walmart doesn't have enough handicapped spots.
Just an observation in my area of the world. As mentioned in my post I wasn't referring to one or two spots, some of our shopping centers have dozens of H/C spots open. Maybe out state has different regulations on the amount of spaces required. Believe me as stated before I'm just giving a different point of view as I generally sit and people watch while waiting for my wife and certainly not looking to start trouble. I agree whole heartily that some take advantage and would love to see a LEO nab them.
Jeepyj

Tackleberry41
12-09-2015, 02:12 PM
I often wonder what sort of requirements there are to get a handicap tag. I don't see so many in Nashville, but here in the sticks it seems half the drivers have one. It was the same in rural KY, seemed like all you had to say was 'Im to lazy to walk to the store' and they would give you one. If they had parking for all the handicap tags where I live, half the parking lot would be designated for them.

Alot of the ones here should not be driving. They take being cautious to the extreme, making it dangerous for everybody else as they try to avoid them. Pretty much guaranteed you get behind someone where I live going 10 under the limit, they have a handicap tag, just as they like the left lane. Its impossible to pass many times, cars pile up behind them, they turn ever so slowly. One of my neighbors seems to get off on tormenting other drivers, has a handicap tag. Goes 15 to 20 under the limit, a near crawl around any sort of curve...until theres a passing zone, then he floors it, a grin on his face. He has learned my 2 cars, pulls over to let me pass, guess the game wasn't as fun when somebody will stuff him into a ditch. Have another neighbor, you can run faster than he drives. Putts past going maybe 15mph, won't go any faster on the highway. Straddles the center line so you can't go around. My mom got her new car with all of 100 miles onto it plowed into by a guy who was 91, didn't even seem to realize he had hit a car, had a slew of accidents, handicap tag.