PDA

View Full Version : New Lee mold with loosening sprue screw, very aggravating

corbinace
12-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Greetings, I am a new caster and had previously only used Lyman, RCBS, Hensley & Gibbs and Accurate molds.

I purchased two new molds for different projects. One of them is the Lee C430-310-RF two cavity mold.

I did all of the things in the Lee instructions for initial setup, including lubing the pivot point. Now the sprue plate screw is so loose after less than a hundred casts that it needs to be re-tightened after every other cast. It does not even think about staying tight.

I now read about Leementing the die with the addition of a set screw for the sprue screw retention. I do have the ability to install the set screw, but not really the inclination.

Is this the case with all Lee molds, or did I just get a lemon on the first round?

I guess I was just spoiled with the nice molds I got from a friend.

tazman
12-06-2015, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately the Lee molds tend to do that. Installing the set screw is the only cure I am aware of.
I realize it is a pain, but since the Lee molds work so well otherwise for me, I just keep a screwdriver right there by the table and tighten as needed. I don't remember mine loosening up that fast however.

chutesnreloads
12-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Ditto......May eventually install a set screw but for now I keep a screwdriver handy.Kind of a moot point on Lee boolits I like most as I tend to buy the six cavity molds for those.

tazman
12-06-2015, 07:04 PM
I have a number of the 6 cavity molds as well and they loosen up just like the 2 cavities do. Same cure.

corbinace
12-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Thank you gentlemen,

I guess I will get out the tools and buy a set screw tomorrow. I am really spoiled with the nice molds that I have been entrusted with. I had not ever used a Lee mold before last night. Some of the nicer molds already have the set screw and it was just not on my radar until it was not working on this new mold.

shoot-n-lead
12-06-2015, 07:54 PM
This issue is not unique to Lee...I have have Lyman and RCBS molds that do the same thing.

Retumbo
12-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Tighten the set screw just enough but not too much.

Yodogsandman
12-06-2015, 09:19 PM
I've read somewhere that if you put some steel wool in the hole and reinstall the sprue plate screw, it'll stay in place.

KenH
12-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Steel wool huh? I'll have to try that. Easier to use steel wool than install a set screw.

Ken H>

Retumbo
12-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Careful you dont ruin the threads

GhostHawk
12-06-2015, 09:44 PM
I have had pretty good luck with steel wool. Doesn't take much.

DerekP Houston
12-06-2015, 10:03 PM
This issue is not unique to Lee...I have have Lyman and RCBS molds that do the same thing.

My favorite RCBS (148 gr 358 wc) has the same issue and it has an allen key set screw. Annoying but I just deal with it. Thought about setting it and then using loctite just dont know if it will hold.

tazman
12-06-2015, 10:15 PM
I have had pretty good luck with steel wool. Doesn't take much.

I think I will give that a try myself. It would certainly be an easy fix.

melloairman
12-06-2015, 10:53 PM
I have ruined a couple of molds with the steel wool . So I quite using it . I now use red Loctite . But make sure you have the setting on your cutter right . Or it will take a lot of heat to loosen the screw latter . Marvin

swamp
12-07-2015, 12:39 AM
On my Lyman and RCBS molds, I put a piece of shot(7 or 8) in the hole and then install the set screw. So far it has solved the problem.
swamp

DLCTEX
12-07-2015, 09:32 AM
It is only a matter of minutes to install a set screw once you have the tap and drill bit. They are available as a pair from Ace Hardware. I do mine upon receiving a new mould. Tap and drill bit $4.85, set screw .22 cents.

Casting_40S&W
12-07-2015, 10:05 AM
All my newer Lee DC molds use a Left Hand thread. When you open the sprue it is always tightening the shouldered bolt. IF you have so much friction that its is wanting to loosen when closing the sprue plate, it is a sign from the mechanical Gods above, that some bullplate lube is needed.

country gent
12-07-2015, 04:45 PM
I have had set screws that also wanted to lossen up while in use. I buy the set screws long enough to allow a small nut to be used to also lock the set screw tightening against the block itself. A small piece of lead shot or copper wire cut thin makes a cushion to lock and hold with out marring the screw or threads on it.

MT Chambers
12-07-2015, 04:47 PM
The aluminum is so soft that quite often the threads are already ruined at that point, drill right through and use a machine screw and nut/lockwasher.

gwpercle
12-07-2015, 05:19 PM
I didn't have the means to do a set screw, did the 0000 steel wool thing, it hasn't loosened up .
Don't just drop a ball in the bottom of the hole, you want a few strands to run down in the hole from top to bottom, not too much just 3 or 4 strands.
Didn't think such a simple fix woud work but it has. I was going to loosen the screw and remove the sprue plate but it didn't want to back out so I just left it alone . Try it, nothing to lose and in my case it did the trick . Mine was a new mould the one with backwards threads and but it still loosened until I wooled it.
Gary