PDA

View Full Version : Woods Walk Today

Maven
12-06-2015, 04:16 PM
I just returned from a local woods walk where the entry fee was a new (packaged, but not wrapped) toy for a child. (They call it Joys for Tots.) Said event included an archery and muzzle loading course and both were very well attended. I chose the latter, else I wouldn't be writing this. (LOL) Anyway, as I hadn't done much offhand shooting lately, I was a trifle apprehensive as to how I would perform. The below freezing temperature this morning didn't help matters either. At any rate, I did very well, scoring 16 out of a possible 17 points, which is a personal best. As for the targets and distances, some were as small as golf balls on strings at 20 yd., but most others were gongs at 70 - 100 yd. Then too, there was a devilish Xmas stocking at 50 yd. (hard to see and narrow!) and a "slice" of pie at 60 yd. Judging from the scores, many people did well. However, this event always draws a nice group of people who are a pleasure to shoot with: the camaraderie factor is very high.

As for equipment, more flintlocks than cap locks and mostly rifles, although three participants used smoothbores. (I used one last year and did better than I expected!) Although I own flintlocks (1 rifle* & 1 smoothbore), I chose to use my .50cal. Lyman Great Plains Rifle (1:60 twist) today because it is ultra reliable and accurate if fed the right stuff. To wit, it shoots a Lyman .488" RB, which I cast, better than the .492" RCBS RB, which I also cast. Pair either, but especially the .488" RB with a .018" pillow ticking patch (compressed measurement), and you have an easy starting and seating and accurate combination...at least in my rifle. As for powder brand, granulation, and charge, I'm one of those deviants who varies the charge with the distance, so my basic charge is 50 gr. FFg for 15 - 25 yd. targets and 60 - 80 gr. for the more distant ones, although I used no more than 70 gr. today. The brand? Diamondback, which I really like, but which is no longer being imported. When using a home brewed liquid patch lube, Diamondback leaves very little bore fouling.

In short, I'm a happy camper today, given the folks I shot with today, and my completely unexpected score.:bigsmyl2:

*still need to re-zero my Waksupi-built Isaac Haines rifle.

Nobade
12-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a good time! I wish we had more of that kind of thing around here to participate in.

Seems like they should call it "Shots for Tots".

-Nobade

Pumpkinheaver
12-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Sounds like a fun time. I need to get another traditional muzzleloader. They are fun.

Maven
12-06-2015, 07:36 PM
It was indeed fun! We are also fortunate that many of the local gun clubs host such shoots and none is more than 45 miles away from me. In fact, there are 14 woods walk/blanket shoots scheduled for 2016 and 1 more in 2015, but it's a meat shoot.

Btw, you can shoot an inline at these events, but not with a scope or jacketed bullets. Conicals and patched RB's are OK though.