PDA

View Full Version : some small martini rifles

blackbahart
12-06-2015, 12:18 PM
here are some baby martini rifles
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p10/blackbahart/IMG_2626_zpsgj8dczat.jpg (http://s124.photobucket.com/user/blackbahart/media/IMG_2626_zpsgj8dczat.jpg.html)

Nueces
12-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Now, Man, that's like hangin' donuts from the flag pole.

Calibers? Stockmaker? Metalsmith?

Come on!

:mrgreen:

blackbahart
12-06-2015, 01:46 PM
fromthe top
30 carbine rimmed
22-17 myra extruder
17 ackley bee
5.6x50 r magnum
17 ackley bee
these were done by Bevan King(recently passed away) and I over a number of years .We made the barrels and bushed the firing pins/bent the levers ect .The 22-17 was not bushed as it remains a rimfire .The top and 3,4 have modified 1 leged spring loaded extractors which we coppied of the internet from an australian and they chuck the empties with ease .

We did most of the stock work ,one was untouched as we only rebarreled it and the 4th was done by a local craftsman.I had nothing to do with the fifth rifle except to take it apart for recoating as it was worn and Bevan made that one in the 80's for Stan well before I knew him .

they were ceracoated at Corlains in Dawson Creek BC Canada as they wear stainless steel barrels and blueing was not an option .The rifles were in various states of completion when Bevan passed ,I decided to complete them over the last few months .Only regret is that Bevan didn't see them finished .Just finished them off last week.
Peter

KLR
12-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Wow!! Beautiful rifles.

Hooker53
12-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Very nice eye candy. Great job and all are great Cal. For this action. Thanks for posting them.

Roy
Hooker53

Fishman
12-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Wow! Thanks for sharing.

Von Gruff
12-06-2015, 07:30 PM
I was having another look at them on NE Peter and the stock detail on the 56x50 where it comes from the action onto the wrist with the raised panel is a particularly nice touch. These little actions/rifles have an almost hypnotic appeal to them and to see this array of them is quite delightful.

Col4570
12-06-2015, 08:23 PM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/32-40MartiniBlackPowderRifle001.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/32-40MartiniBlackPowderRifle001.jpg.html)
Nice Rifles,great finish you have on them.This is one I rebuilt in 32.40 cal.The two larger rounds are 45.70 and 50.70 for comparison.

blackbahart
12-06-2015, 09:52 PM
They are a easy action to work with .I found most of the actions loose so that leaves your imagination to decide how to stock them within reason .Still have a loose one still with no plans of yet what it is going to be. I posted them on NE also to show the scope bases before finishing assembly .Will be zeroing them back in shortly ,weather permiting .

Col4570 that is a nice greener :)
Peter

Ernest
12-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Those are just BEAUTIFUL. Classic beautiful rifles.

Bigslug
12-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Duuuuuuuuuuuude! Them's NICE! :shock:

Welcome! You've probably already scrolled down to Hooker 53's More Cadet Talk thread. Many of our adventures chronicled there.

Between Pop and I are three Martini's; a International match .22, a Cadet .32-20, and the Imperial Big Momma .577/.450. Something intangible about them that just lights up one's DAMN SERIOUS RIFLE detectors.

curator
12-06-2015, 10:39 PM
One can never have Ti many Martoonies! (apologies to W.C. Fields) I have 9 and still counting. Short firing pin-fall, strong action, close tolerances, what's not to like? My favorite is the Greener Mk111, .40-65 Win.

Bill Torzsok
12-07-2015, 09:02 AM
I just love the Martinis!
.22 hornet, .218 bee, .222 Remington, .25-20 winchester and a .310 cadet in original condition.
A future project will be a 250-303 on a Martini Enfield, finances permitting.

Southern Son
12-07-2015, 09:17 AM
fromthe top
30 carbine rimmed
22-17 myra extruder
17 ackley bee
5.6x50 r magnum
17 ackley bee
Peter

Ummm, dude, iif I'm not mistaken, that one is a LOOOOONNNGGGGG way from home. The MYRA Squeeze Bores were a creation by a gunsmith in Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia. Was it made in Australia, or B.C.C.?

blackbahart
12-08-2015, 12:34 AM
I started a thread on this in rimfire while we were making the barrel .It was made here in Dawson Creek BC and the reamer was/is a PTG made to the originators specs
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?274296-Arthur-Langsford-22-17-squeeze-bore-chamber

Southern Son
12-08-2015, 07:54 AM
I missed your other thread. It is good to see Mr Langsford's idea made it overseas. I lived in Broken Hill for three years and did most of my buying for gunstuff from him. He had some great ideas, but it is hard to promote these ideas from the middle of nowhere. He had a bunch of wildcats, I am pretty sure all named "Myra", his gunshop was also named "Myra's", I think. He was truly a gentleman, always polite. He sold the gunshop when he retired, the people who bought it paid for his good name, then they proptly ran both the shop and it's good name into the dirt. It is good that something that he made has gone somewhere.

rollmyown
12-10-2015, 05:29 AM
Did Myra have a business relationship with Fieldman? That is the brand I remember having the "extruder" barrel.

Very beautiful rifles BTW.

eljefeoz
12-10-2015, 10:56 PM
I have a cadet in 7.62x39 which wears the "one legged extractor from The Australian gunsmith" Tony Small, who built it for me and is is also a member here.
Need to post some pics here, am awaiting a fore end for it after the caliber change from .222R
I have been running 11.5 BHN Lee 155gr GC CB with 11.5 gr Blue dot, home brew Lube, for a clover leaf at 50m, and 123 gr PPU for a ragged 1 hole group at 100M. Fascinating action.Am strongly tempted to go in for a bigger boomer, but will have to close my eyes/ears to Von Gruff's temptations!

Von Gruff
12-11-2015, 02:38 AM
I have a cadet in 7.62x39 which wears the "one legged extractor from The Australian gunsmith" Tony Small, who built it for me and is is also a member here.
Need to post some pics here, am awaiting a fore end for it after the caliber change from .222R
I have been running 11.5 BHN Lee 155gr GC CB with 11.5 gr Blue dot, home brew Lube, for a clover leaf at 50m, and 123 gr PPU for a ragged 1 hole group at 100M. Fascinating action.Am strongly tempted to go in for a bigger boomer, but will have to close my eyes/ears to Von Gruff's temptations!

Listen up eljefof once you start closing of on temptations there is no telling what you may miss out on.[smilie=s:

Ballistics in Scotland
12-11-2015, 06:15 AM
fromthe top
30 carbine rimmed
22-17 myra extruder
17 ackley bee
5.6x50 r magnum
17 ackley bee
these were done by Bevan King(recently passed away) and I over a number of years .We made the barrels and bushed the firing pins/bent the levers ect .The 22-17 was not bushed as it remains a rimfire .The top and 3,4 have modified 1 leged spring loaded extractors which we coppied of the internet from an australian and they chuck the empties with ease .

We did most of the stock work ,one was untouched as we only rebarreled it and the 4th was done by a local craftsman.I had nothing to do with the fifth rifle except to take it apart for recoating as it was worn and Bevan made that one in the 80's for Stan well before I knew him .

they were ceracoated at Corlains in Dawson Creek BC Canada as they wear stainless steel barrels and blueing was not an option .The rifles were in various states of completion when Bevan passed ,I decided to complete them over the last few months .Only regret is that Bevan didn't see them finished .Just finished them off last week.
Peter

What brass and bullet diameter do you use for the .30 Carbine Rimmed? I once calculated that you could do a good .32 with the Carbine reamer and dies and .32-20 brass, but that is only calculation.

Do you find that the 5.6x50R loads easily with the unaltered block feed ramp? I did with an early rimfire, but I have heard it suggested that with some Cadet actions there may be difficulties. It is surely one of the best rounds for the Cadet, especially in Scotland, where some of our most interesting and available shooting is for the 60lb. roe deer, and we have a 2450ft./sec. velocity requirement. But I am reluctant to weaken the block on any small Martini.

Southern Son
12-11-2015, 07:13 AM
Did Myra have a business relationship with Fieldman? That is the brand I remember having the "extruder" barrel.

Very beautiful rifles BTW.

I cannot help you with that. I never thought to ask Mr Langsford why he called his Gunshop "Myra's", and all the wildcats "Myra" as well. I have heard it said that it was his wifes name, and I can say that whenever I went into "Myra's" gunshop, I was greated by Mr Langsford, and while talking to him, a little old lady would come out of the back office and say "Hello". But who he got to do the barrels for him I never found out.

eljefeoz
12-12-2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks Von G. A 577/450 is high on my 'want list' - after I get the daughter to appreciate this cadet.

bonza
12-15-2015, 01:15 AM
Those are great looking rifles. I am very fond of the Martini action & have a few, both large & small frame, all in original calibers (.22L, .297/.230L, .310 Cadet, .450 No.2 Musket, & .577/.450 M-H) apart from my 'gopher' rifle which is a BSA .310 Cadet action rebarreled to .218 Bee & restocked for scope use.

Back in the late '70s & thru much of the '80s I worked for one of the larger gun stores in Adelaide, South Australia, & had a few dealings with Mr (Arthur) Langsford.....a fine old gentleman. It is my understanding that the Myra name did indeed come from his wife, or possibly a daughter. I still have one of his .17 Myra cartridges, loaded on an ICI case. Here's a picture I found showing the rimfire .17 Myra Family (.17 Minor-Mite, .17 Tini-Mite, & .17 Vixen), along with a centerfire (.17 Mite) based on the .22 Hornet. It is interesting to note that the .17 Vixen was formed from .22WRF brass, rather than .22 WMR, as I believe Mr. Langsford's development pre-dated the .22 Magnum.

Col4570
12-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Testing my Martini 32.40 Martini Rifle on Sunday 13th Dec.The barrel is made up from an 8 mm Rolling Block Rifle one turn in fourteen inch Twist Turned down to make a liner and Chambered for 32.40 cal and 40 Grains of Black Powder.I have had moderate success with differing bullets in the past.This time I tried .324 x 160 grain Gas Checked Bullets.The first shots where high so I adjusted the aperture Sight Down, those shots where low.A little further adjustment brought me into the Black and continued there.My initial Bullets where not much dufferent from the Gas checked ones so I can only assume that the Gas checks are the answer for this particular Rifle.

blackbahart
02-17-2017, 02:50 PM
here are 2 more martinis I traded into .the one ugly one with the receiver sight is a 22hornet anf the shiney one is a 222rem with an awsom xtractor which I will make a few of now that I have a pattern 188275188276

MT Chambers
02-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Those are beautiful Martinis, however they cry out for an old style scope like a Unertl, lyman, litschart, fecker, etc.