PDA

View Full Version : unique

tdoyka
12-05-2015, 07:57 PM
this past year, i have really gotten into cast boolits. i really love them. i've gotten great groups using my 44 rem mag, 444 marlin, 45-70 and 30-40 krag using the cast boolits using h4198, rel7 and trail boss. i seen a couple of lbs of unique, so i bought them. i have lyman's reloading book 49th edition and i've read 10 Grs. Unique. The Universal Cast Boolit Rifle Load? (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?39923-10-Grs-Unique-The-Universal-Cast-Boolit-Rifle-Load)

i would like to find a good starting load for

30-40 krag('98 spr armory) and 165gr ranch dog
444 marlin(tc encore with 23" MGM barrel) and 280gr gc wfn
45-70(h&r single shot) and 350gr ranch dog

the 44 rem mag has a starting load of 10.0gr for the 240gr swc which i will try. any help will be greatly appierciated.

JWFilips
12-05-2015, 08:03 PM
Yes if you find some buy it all!

Scharfschuetze
12-05-2015, 09:34 PM
Unique is always a good choice for moderate loads in rifles and handguns and often in the smaller cases like the 32/20 and 38 Special, full bore loads. I've used it from 223 Remington to 50/70 with very good results.

I've gradually moved away from Unique, not because it doesn't work, but for better performance on the very light side and on the higher performance side using cast boolits. Bullseye and Tight Group for light loads with plain base boolits and 4759, 5744, 4198 and 4895 for higher performance with gas check boolits in my various rifles. Still, for one powder to do most of it pretty well, you've made a good choice. It's fluffy, ignites easily and produces pretty good ballistics for light to moderate loads.

With the above said, you can bet that there is a caddy of Unique in the powder magazine just waiting for the right load to charge.

That tome on 10 grains of Unique is a good read and it's pretty much spot on. The old Lyman Cast Bullet Handbuck No 3 had many more loads for Unique than the current CBH No 4. If you can locate a copy of that, you'll be in tall cotton regarding Unique loads.

Here is a good link for using fast powders in various rifle rounds. You should find lots of Unique data here:

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm