PDA

View Full Version : Redding powder measure

RedHawk357Mag
12-05-2015, 03:27 PM
So I have a couple of these powder throwers. One appears to be a Match Grade Model 3 BR which I have been using for awhile with the Handgun metering chamber, if I recall correctly it came with the Universal metering chamber. I use it fairly often for typical loads of Universal, Titegroup, Bullseye, 231, HP 38 in 357/38 44 magnum and 40. I have never really been impressed with the smoothness of operation of it. The loads thrown are fairly uniform so I never got overly stressed by it. I bought a classic model 3 powder measure for rifle loads a few years ago but never used it as I was always in a state of load development and hand weighing rifle loads. Anyways I was dinking around with some old 4227 which I only tried once in the Match grade once, I was barely able to pull the handle. Which lead me to always dip 4227. I got an idea to try the Classic powder thrower just for giggles. I was so surprised by the smoothness of the powder thrower that I had to double check the powder can. Loads were easily within a tenth of a grain. I was really concerned about the powder now that I went and pulled some 44 magnum rounds to compare powder. Most definitely 4227 measuring to a tenth and powder measure working as smoothly as a Marble rolling on a glass table. I simply can't describe how much different these two measures operate. I have taken the Match apart to apply ample graphite, no real change. I have used Flitz and semichrome with only slight improvement in the Match thrower. I have probably used six pounds of Universal and close to three pounds of TiteGroup through this measure with the same gritty operation the whole time. I think now the Redding operation should be more like the Classic and the Match is defective. Anyone got any experience with a Redding Match thrower?

flashhole
12-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Interesting post. I've been pretty happy with my 3 BR but it doesn't get a lot of use. Seems I use it and the trickler to develop loads then migrate to a custom dipper cup.

Just on a whim I ordered a Lee Classic Powder Measure this morning along with a second Auto Drum measure. The Classic was more of a curiosity for me than anything else but the wife was asking me what I wanted for Christmas. If I didn't give her a direct answer I would end up with clothes that I don't want. I plan to use it on my portable range load setup.

RedHawk357Mag
12-06-2015, 10:24 AM
But when you used the 3BR did it feel smooth? The Classic Redding is as smooth as a hot knife through butter. The 3BR, with Match as part of its name, is always "gritty".

Petrol & Powder
12-06-2015, 10:45 AM
I've used a match grade 3BR for years and it works beautifully. My guess is you have a lemon or it was damaged before you received it.

Houndog
12-06-2015, 11:24 AM
Are you using the match grade metering chamber or something else? The original 3BR measure was designed exclusively for Benchrest by Fred Sinclair and is at it's best with powders such as N133, IMR 8208, and H322 in charge weights between 25 and 40 grains. The metering chamber and it's plunger are very different than the standard measure and I think the bores in the main body are also different. I own one of the very first made and ouside of my custom Harrels measure, it's the smoothest and most accurate I've ever used. If you keep having trouble with it call the guys in Courtland. I'm sure they will be glad to make it right.

RedHawk357Mag
12-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Think I will give Redding a call. I am using the Handgun Metering chamber, in the Redding book it said it only fits 3br measures. I bought the Match new and the Classic second hand off eBay. Just never used used until the other day on a whim. Thanks much appreciated.

flashhole
12-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Please let us know the outcome.

RedHawk357Mag
12-08-2015, 02:45 AM
Haven't called yet but I am pony upping the forty bucks for the Handgun chamber for the Classic. Verified that I have the correct handgun chamber in the 3BR. The shipping paper, the box and the Chamber itself says 3BR. I figure Redding is going to need the measure back so I will contact them after I get the chamber for the Classic. It's crazy I have fought it this long... Live and learn ☺