PDA

View Full Version : I Love Sheriff Joe!

leadman
12-05-2015, 02:09 AM
Saw on the news that the Maricopa County Sheriff here in Az., Joe Arpio has requested that the concealed carry holders (I'm one) here in Az. do what they can to stop a shooter. Think he said there are 220,000 of us. The CCW is not necessary now to carry here as long as you are allowed to buy a gun but it does make new purchases easier.
This got me to thinking about what firearm I carry and what I may want to keep secured in my vehicle. The little Ruger I carry is definitely a short range weapon. I am running ideas of what to have handy, whether another handgun or a compact rifle.

The recent events and watching Sheriff Joe I tv makes me realize I need to practice more. I hope I am never in this type of situation but with our open border anything can happen and one should be ready.

Hickok
12-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Joe reminds me of a Texas Ranger of the frontier days. Wish we had more like him in every state.

Grab up a good AR while they are available, the modern "Minute Man Rifle."

Lever actions are good compact rifles, but my thoughts on them is that if you have to have them unloaded in a vehicle to be legal, it just takes too long to fill 'em up if the need arises.

A good AR or any mag feed rifle can be carried empty, and then be cocked, locked and loaded very quickly.

Freightman
12-05-2015, 10:15 AM
Well sheriff Joe isn't the only one, ours has started a class on how to defend yourself first class filled up in less than an hour of the announcement. He said he would have as many classes as necessary.

gwpercle
12-05-2015, 10:49 AM
The gun grabbers don't want to hear it ...but it's the truth. Stand and fight is good but unarmed isn't.
After being shot in an armed robbery a police lieutenant straight up told me, We can't protect you, when the bad guys come it's up to you to defend yourself. I learned when the bad guy has a gun and you don't, it's a turkey shoot and you're the turkey.
The officer then explained all the places I could legally carry a concealed and open carry a gun, all without a permit or license .
He also said all they can do is recover the body and then try to find who did it.
It's funny how the idea of standing armed to fight an armed killer is lost on these fools. If Hillary gets elected we are done for.
Gary

marlin39a
12-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Common sense is the norm here in Arizona. Unfortunately, Phoenix is a liberal, sanctuary city. It is not on my list of day trips anymore. The media and city officials are out to castrate Sheriff Arpaio. His days are numbered and I fear his replacement will be like that idiot from San Francisco. I feel much safer and happier to spend my time and money in the high country.

Mal Paso
12-05-2015, 11:34 AM
So what's with Fry's Electronics - no guns, so I left. No problem in Fry's Food Stores.

I always carry in AZ, even the MVD before the lock boxes. Never a problem. Mostly concealed but 44 mag shows a bulge.

I got pulled over in Surprise by DPS (1 of the 2 license plate lights was out). Are you supposed to tell them if you're armed. I was trying to figure whether to leave the engine running for lights and windows and forgot.

bubba.50
12-05-2015, 11:43 AM
sure do wish we could get someone like Sheriff Joe on the ballot to run this country. but, as stated above, he riles the libby's so bad I too fear his days are numbered.

shooter2
12-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Saw on the news that the Maricopa County Sheriff here in Az., Joe Arpio has requested that the concealed carry holders (I'm one) here in Az. do what they can to stop a shooter. Think he said there are 220,000 of us. The CCW is not necessary now to carry here as long as you are allowed to buy a gun but it does make new purchases easier.
This got me to thinking about what firearm I carry and what I may want to keep secured in my vehicle. The little Ruger I carry is definitely a short range weapon. I am running ideas of what to have handy, whether another handgun or a compact rifle.

The recent events and watching Sheriff Joe I tv makes me realize I need to practice more. I hope I am never in this type of situation but with our open border anything can happen and one should be ready.

Considering all the c$&@, going on i went through the same process.

For long guns my criteria was 1) it must be magazine fed. 2) i chose .308 Winchester because it will penetrate a vest 3)brass is readily available 4) I already load for it

i narrowed the choices to AR10 and M1A. I am going with the M1A because of familiarity, many fine guns available, and i simply like them.

for handguns i am already well fixed and generally go with the .45 ACP. A high cap nine is also a good choice.

Houndog
12-05-2015, 01:13 PM
I'd like for President Trump to put Sheriff Joe in charge of ICE or Homeland Security! Wouldn't that get the lib's panties in a wad and he is just what the country needs!

SSGOldfart
12-05-2015, 05:01 PM
I'd like for President Trump to put Sheriff Joe in charge of ICE or Homeland Security! Wouldn't that get the lib's panties in a wad and he is just what the country needs!
Who cares if they get in a wad??????????????:popcorn:

tward
12-05-2015, 05:24 PM
Ulster county ny (yes, my) sheriff is urging ccp holders to please carry! Tim:bigsmyl2:

mold maker
12-05-2015, 06:08 PM
It's fight or flight, I'm too old to run, to fat to hide. Choices are getting limited.

popper
12-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Liberty University Pres. has told students to arm themselves. Lib. laws try to make it difficult to fight back.

dragon813gt
12-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Sheriff here hasn't made the statement publicly but he's the same as Joe. Been telling residents for well over a decade to get your CCW to protect yourself and loved ones. Encourages NFA items. There are many sheriffs like this all across the US. Sheriff Joe is not alone.

MaLar
12-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Well when Joe's time is up in AZ he is welcome here in Idaho, at least by me!

leadman
12-06-2015, 12:45 AM
It is good policy here to inform an officer if you are armed. I got pulled over one morning on the way to work for driving cautiously, as I normally do. The officer thought something was up but when he saw my City of Phoenix white uniform shirt he relaxed. He asked if I was armed and when I said no he asked why not? The upper management at the time had their undies up in a bunch and had sent out a memo that prohibited guns in private vehicles in the parking lot, which was legal for them to do. It changed later.

Sheriff Joe IIRC is over 80 years old so his time is limited. Sure will miss him.

Cord
12-06-2015, 01:56 AM
“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment,
free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing,
free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns.
And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist:
It's called Prison."

-Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Cag40Navy
12-06-2015, 02:19 AM
Considering all the c$&@, going on i went through the same process.

For long guns my criteria was 1) it must be magazine fed. 2) i chose .308 Winchester because it will penetrate a vest 3)brass is readily available 4) I already load for it

i narrowed the choices to AR10 and M1A. I am going with the M1A because of familiarity, many fine guns available, and i simply like them.

for handguns i am already well fixed and generally go with the .45 ACP. A high cap nine is also a good choice.

Level III+ plates are becoming common which are rated up to .308 AP currently. NIJ is currently proposing that that be the new standard for III because it is currently 5.56 Ball but its not much more to get the upgraded protection. Even then, IV also fairly available as well and that's rated to .30-06 AP.

Depending though, they more than likely may wear just soft armour as well. Better to be armed than not.

knifemaker
12-06-2015, 02:48 AM
As a LEO firearms instructor, we taught our deputies to do one of two things to defeat a suspect wearing body armor. Triple tap which is two to the body if they do not go down, third shot to head. The other choice is if you suspect the bad guy is wearing body armor, bulky jacket is a give away, shoot for the groin. A shot there will just about drop anyone most of the time. Also groin shot is a larger target then the head. If you are off to the side on the shot, your bullet should shatter the hip joint and they drop like a sack of potatoes.

Col4570
12-06-2015, 02:54 AM
Joe is absolutely right,Policing can never be on a one to one basis therefore the right to carry especially now the Islamic looneys are on the rampage is paramount.Unfortunately there are those who would abuse the right to bear arms for their own criminal or disturbed agendas.It is a dilemma that is difficult to address and I made the observation when viewing the cell phone photos of the events in Paris,if only the person taking the pictures had a Shotgun he could have nailed the two terrorists who where shooting into the Nightclub,they where only a few feet away bellow the photographers window.I would imagine the feeling of inadequacy for not having a weapon whilst loved ones are being slaughtered would be hard to live down.

Freightman
12-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Body armor might stop a 500 gr boolit but darn how many ribs is it going to break?

leadman
12-08-2015, 12:15 AM
This event and Sheriff Joe's request really has me thinking of different aspects of it. One is my choice of carry firearms, which is difficult due to the condition of my body and especially my hands. Another is the I keep hearing that chances are a person will never be in the situation with an active shooter. I already came very close to this many years ago when I was in a training course for my job.

GabbyM
12-08-2015, 02:09 AM
Sheriff Joe is an OK guy. His lust for the lime light sort of turns me off. I actually like that ***** sheriff over in Pinal county better. He's a lot better looking too. Was in both counties last week. Now back here where the ground is iced over in the morning.

GabbyM
12-08-2015, 02:35 AM
As far as active shooters go. A knife can be deployed fast. If you are within seventeen feet and even at my fat *** age of sixty. I can take a man out with my knife before he reacts. Of course I still prefer my KelTec 380 acp. However I've never used a pocket pistol in self defense. I have used hand to hand and knife. Thing is our enemies do not target men like me. They target our children and sisters. Gun free zones is not really the issue or problem even though some of us here on this gun lovers board would like to think so. Fact is we do not live out daily lives like the Vikings or RUS did over a thousand years ago. I can go to the bathroom in the morning without two of my comrades guarding me.

For those who think I'm BS. check out video of Bobby Kennedy's murder videos or several others. Men in the crown took the shooters down bare handed. These terrorist must carefully chose targets to be soft. Once they are among us there is absolutely no defense. Whatever. They can't win anything. We suffer over thirty thousand traffic accident deaths a year without much notice. So tack on a few hundred or five thousand terrorist attack deaths. If we did not elect RHINO and Obama types they would not even think they had a chance. This nation needs a good war to flush out the pansy's.

leadman
12-10-2015, 01:24 AM
IIRC the men that took down the shooter in Tucson a few years ago were unarmed. Was it in China that a man with a knife killed like 30 people?

Went to the range today and fired several handguns including the little Ruger LCP 380. That is the hardest pistol of all of mine to shoot. Recoil is very snappy and accuracy is marginal at 10 yards. Course the ammo I was shooting was made for my OMC 380 that I sold and it did lead a little in the Ruger.
I have been thinking of a truck rifle that would be available to try to stop a shooter with. I know the AR rates high but think I would be more comfortable using a scoped bolt action if a place was available off to the side to make an accurate shot with. I would not want to cause any collateral damage.
I have one 1891 Arg. Mauser set up with a scout scope so the action is open to allow stripper clip loading. It handles well and is accurate. Not a high rate of fire but am unsure if it would be needed.
Any comments or suggestions?