PDA

View Full Version : Alberts high speed 38/357 air sizer??

AbluquerqueBullet,LLC
12-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Have a chance to buy one of these but dont know a single thing about it other than what can be told by looking. it slides 38/357 on a case track and the air piston drops the sizing die down then up. next case pushes the first out of the way and gets sized so on so on. 154844

So how fast is it? how much is it worth?

bangerjim
12-04-2015, 05:06 PM
Probably would yield a bunch of crushed/crunched cases? I prefer to do it manual - one at a time - and feel what I am doing.

To me, it would be worth the scrap price of the steel in it. To others, mabe a lot.

troyboy
12-04-2015, 05:15 PM
That would depend on how much 38/357 you shoot. If you had barrels full of brass then it would be quite useful. For normal use a progressive press is the usual choice. If it is cheap and you want it go for it. It would free up a station on a progressive and speed things up as long as it deprimes and resizes.

AbluquerqueBullet,LLC
12-04-2015, 06:28 PM
it is for depriming and sizing brass to be fed into camdex/ammoload machines that only run processed brass.

AbluquerqueBullet,LLC
12-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Probably would yield a bunch of crushed/crunched cases?.

It is built like a single stage ammoload machine i don't think they crush cases that much.

jmorris
12-05-2015, 10:59 AM
If there was ever a need of more photos and a video in a thread, it is this one.

Do you have a manual for it?

AbluquerqueBullet,LLC
12-05-2015, 03:30 PM
No i don't even have it yet. i think a manual would answer most of my questions. and so would a video. i imagine it working like a old tri-standards reloader or ammoload/camdex machine but with only 1 stage. and a air cylinder instead of motor and speed reducer.

Dragonheart
12-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Very interesting tool, obviously homemade. The air cylinder appears to be about 2-1/2" which would give you around 500 pounds of downward force at 100 psi, more than enough to size a case. It appears the feed mechanism is a copper pipe, which would require loading by hand since I don't see a collator. There must be some device driving the feed bar and that would have to be switched so as to be in sync with the air cylinder. The sizing die looks homemade. A lot of time and special tooling went into this design and I am impressed, but as far as practical, probably not a lot as it appears to be limited to one caliber and with no casefeeder you would spend a lot of time time loading the tube by hand. I guess a lot would depend on what they want for it.

If I want to just size and deprime cases fast I just drop them into the case feed hopper of my Dillon 650 press and crank the handle. I keep a toolhead with just a size/deprime die just for that purpose and I can do most any caliber.

AbluquerqueBullet,LLC
12-05-2015, 08:36 PM
its not home made. they made them in the 50s or 60s for ammunition re-manufacturing operations. its feed with a vibratory bowl and a vibratory hopper that holds like 30,000 cases.

quasi
12-05-2015, 11:47 PM
its not home made. they made them in the 50s or 60s for ammunition re-manufacturing operations. its feed with a vibratory bowl and a vibratory hopper that holds like 30,000 cases.

they sure made it look home made.

Dragonheart
12-06-2015, 10:11 AM
they sure made it look home made.

Well it sure fooled me, Mike Dillon started making his first reloading presses in his garage, but they didn't look homemade.

Grasslander
12-06-2015, 11:06 AM
I think it would be loud to use. Might get a little irritating after awhile.

Unless you just have to have it I would pass. Just my opinion, which isn't worth much..lol

AbluquerqueBullet,LLC
12-06-2015, 11:43 AM
The seller just told me it does up to 10,000 cases an hour? sounds outrageous! I think I want it.
Ya i bet its loud i will have to put it out there with my 2 ballisti-cast mark IIs, bullet master, 2 lube masters, full auto air star sizer, and 200psi air comp. i think i can hear it in the background ... maybe

jmorris
12-06-2015, 01:16 PM
I agree that would be 2.7 cases a second. I would ask for a video before I bought it, half that rate of production would still be pretty good though.

With mufflers on the pneumatics or exhaust lines ran out the shop they are quite.

this one is homemade but you can get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eANEMBS_V_0

Grasslander
12-06-2015, 01:43 PM
I forgot how inventive the members are. Can I retract my previous opinion?

If you do go through with it, please let us know how you like it..it sure is an interesting piece.

HeavyMetal
12-06-2015, 02:17 PM
so I take it this operates like a punch press? case's are tracked in the "punch" hits the case with a size die and then repeats at the top of the piston cycle?

If the alignment is solid and it is mounted right so vibration didn't keep knocking the adjustments loose this thing could easily do that 2.7 case's a second.

My concern would be sizer die life and can you still get them or modify current sizer dies to work?

Other wise it's just a paper weight with history!

AbluquerqueBullet,LLC
12-06-2015, 02:41 PM
My concern would be sizer die life and can you still get them or modify current sizer dies to work?

That is my main concern and the de-priming pin.

I am thinking different tracks and dies can be made to make this machine process more than 38 brass.

Grasslander
12-06-2015, 04:14 PM

At this rate of operation, I think a carbide die would be required...with a water jacket around the die...lol

jmorris
12-06-2015, 04:23 PM
I would certainly run a carbide dies these days, no reason not to as cheap as they are. Heat won't be an issue either but I don't believe you will get 10,000 an hour out of it either.

This is a machine I setup just for prep, size/deprime and swage, running just over 4300 cases an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ieGYpdr9I

Grasslander
12-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Mr Morris, I challenge you to a duel..lol

jmorris
12-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Mr Morris, I challenge you to a duel..lol

As long as it's not a staring contest.

jmorris
12-06-2015, 06:07 PM
If the OP's machine has a fairly simple to build feed/eject device, it could be very useful once an adapter to use standard dies had been built for it. Lots of different directions you could go.

for example if you added a lever that actuated a plunger from below and it triggered a gate to eject differently (plunger didn't activate a switch let it fall into one bin or divert it to another if it were activated) you could size/deprime and sort by pocket size or "ringers" for instance.

Sort of like this, just cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V7vSEAqkZw

As you are running air already it could just be a gust of it to send the case another direction to cull as it leaves controlled feed.