PDA

View Full Version : Cz 75bd

Art in Colorado
12-04-2015, 02:48 PM
I am in the market for a 45ACP. For some reason I am not a fan of the 1911 (ducking as I say this). I looked at a CZ 75 BD today with nite sights and was quite impressed with the quality of it. I have never read any negativity about this pistol. But there is a however about it. Their web site describes the trigger as a smooth double action with a crisp single action. I found it smooth but not a crisp single action. There was quite a bit of take up in it. Is this normal? If so can it be corrected ? I am wanting kind of a higher end pistol and have always been a Sig fan so I am leaning towards a 220 Sig with the SRT trigger but this CZ is impressive. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Love Life
12-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Cajun Gun Works will take care of that pistol for you.

Ed_Shot
12-04-2015, 08:05 PM
You say 45 ACP and refer to CZ 75bd....don't you mean CZ 97 BD. I have a CZ 97B "E" from David at Cajun Gun Works and it's fantastic in every way.

Bonz
12-04-2015, 08:10 PM
I have a Sig P220 Equinox and love it. Do kinda wish I would have went with the compact version - 4" barrel vs 4.4"

dragon813gt
12-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Cajun Gun Works will take care of that pistol for you.

So will the CZ Custom Shop. Both tunes are along the same lines w/ the short reset being one of the best features. Reminds me that I need to send mine out.

As as aside. The CZ trigger is not a simple one. Just a friendly warning before you tear into one.

wv109323
12-04-2015, 10:55 PM
I have the CZ75B omega. It has a better trigger than a stock CZ 75BD but CZ does make some other models that are match tuned with excellent triggers. Cajun and the Custom Shop can tune the trigger.
The Omega trigger is kinda frowned upon by the CZ purist.
The CZ 97 is the .45 ACP.
For an all metal gun the CZ 75 is a lot of gun for the money.

9.3X62AL
12-04-2015, 11:15 PM
For an all metal gun the CZ 75 is a lot of gun for the money.

For darn sure. My CZ-75B is in 40 S&W, and it is a DELIGHT. Very lead-friendly, too--its 1-16" twist rate is rare in this caliber, and my pistol remains the most accurate 40 S&W pistol of any make I have ever fired--and I have owned or at least used most of them. No "traditional double-action" pistol has what I would call a superb trigger right out of the box--SIG/Sauer is probably best of breed, but nowhere near that of a mid-1960s S&W K-frame or Colt Python. I leave triggers and springs alone on my service pistols and revolvers, and adapt myself to their foibles. Under duress, your fine motor skills go galley-west anyway, so obsessing over trigger characteristics is kinda superfluous to me. Other folks feel otherwise, and that is perfectly all right--as long as mechanical/functional reliability is maintained.

Art in Colorado
12-05-2015, 02:10 PM
I have alot to learn about CZ's. I see I was looking at a 97BD and not a 75. Does anyone know what their custom shop charges for the trigger work?

Bigslug
12-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Can't knock the build quality of CZ in any way, but the surest way IME to screw up a single action mechanism is to install a double action mechanism, forcing one part to perform two jobs. You'll see that sloppy take up on pretty much any DA/SA pistol you care to name. The SA pull may be clean once you get to it, but count on an eighth to quarter inch of free play. Even on the 9mm CZ-75 SAO, which I was sorely tempted by until I recently handled one - the gun was born to be DA/SA, but even converted to be SAO - lotta takeup, creep, and long travel to reset.

Unfortunately, it became yet another offering that I had to toss onto the vast pile of autoloading handguns that AREN'T 1911's. Save perhaps Glock, the rest just seem to be furtive attempts to integrate both a liability lawyer's wet dream and a functional weapon into the same package. . . and Glock, though functional, isn't terribly refined or refinable.

There was a Cyndi Lauper song from the '80's titled "Money Changes Everything", and yes, you can dump a bunch of it into a pistol to make its trigger more like that of a 1911. There is, however, a shorter path. . .

opos
12-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Been shooting CZ's for as long as I have been able to get my mitts on them...your gun and your money but they shoot well out of the box and as you "break them in" they smooth out nicely...I've not had any "tinkering" done as I'm not a competitive shooter...they all shoot better than I can without messing with them..the newer (since 2013 or 2014 I think) 97B has a fiber front sight and a nice redesign of the rear sight..that was a flaw on the earlier ones...it also has a really well redesigned feed ramp (early ones were sort of picky about anything but 230 grain ball)...I'd sure suggest to get on if you are going that direction and shoot a few hundred rounds through it before you start to "mess with it"...only my 2 cents worth...I'm sure that I'm way off base with some of the folks but I'm too old to have it matter.

roysha
12-05-2015, 07:35 PM
First of all, I agree with you in regard to the 1911. I neither like nor dislike it, I just have to pay attention to every shot or I am shooting way low at 15 yards. I suspect this is because I shot S&W revolvers for the biggest share of my pistol shooting life so the muscle memory, as it applies to the grip angle comparing the 1911 to the revolver, causes a problem for me.

With that being said, I believe that the second most important attribute of any hand gun is pointability, after reliability. My test for pointability is to get into what ever shooting stance (99% of the time I use a modified Weaver Stance) I plan to use most with a particular handgun, hold the gun as I would, single handed or both hands, close my eyes, bring gun up to eye level, open my eyes and see how the sights align. I don't care if you shoot a High Point or the latest and greatest wonder self loader, if it doesn't point instinctively for you, you will always have to "drive" it. I have, at one time or another handled and/or shot virtually all the commonly available autoloaders and out of the whole bunch the SIG P220 was by far the best FOR ME. I even went so far as the find a P220 9MM with the American release so I could shoot 9mm with the same amount of confidence. The P226 feels different and if I felt I needed a high-cap 9mm I would probably go with the CZ 75BD since I have owned them and they point well for me.

I also owned the CZ97, which was the 45 ACP I had before the SIG and my only objection was that it felt big in my hands and is rather, at least it seems so, heavy. It pointed quite well but not as nicely as the SIGS.

ebner glocken
12-05-2015, 09:21 PM
I have a 97B and they really are a great gun. If your hands are not large you may not like it though. The DA pull is long but smooth and the single pull does have a bit of take up. That being said it will shoot right with my colt gold cup and function with less than perfect ammo in which the gold cup will not and I gave half the money for the CZ. The trigger is much easier to work with on the B model than the BD.

Ebner