PDA

View Full Version : Best(economical) way to perfect cartridge

nekshot
12-04-2015, 10:33 AM
I am shooting a vz24 with a new barrel in 7mm mauser. Frustrations ceased when I put some pressure on fore end and when I realised how far out I had to seat the bullets to be slightly off rifling. With boat tail bullets(hornady Amax type) it is easy to not get bullet straight. Is there a easier way to stay straight when seating a bullet than buying a Wilson Chamber seat die? Yes, it is showing real love towards the good ole lee soup can boolit but that is for later and now it is jacketed.

Hickok
12-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Long throats at times like flat based bullets rather than BT's.

Do you have a set-up to check run-out. I have an RCBS and it works great.

.005 runout isn't too bad shooting, but when I get loaded rounds to .003" runout and under with jacketed then they really group tight, ( if all the other things with a rifle are worked out, i.e. bedding, trigger, stock screw pressure, load development.)

With .005" runout, (Jacketed bullet reloads) my Heavy .308 will shoot into the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" area @ 100 yards. When I try reloads with .003" runout and under, I get 1 inch to sub 1 inch groups @ 100 yards, mostly hovering at 5/8" to 3/4" from a Model 700 Rem. 308 Heavy Barrel rifle 26".

What reloading dies are you using?

I use the Wilson neck dies and seating dies and an arbor press for all my my bolt actions, but for my M1A NM I use the Lee reloading dies, and they seat jacketed bullets nice and true for me, as I use Hornady SST BT in this rifle.

AggieEE
12-04-2015, 11:33 AM
Something to try. Seat the bullet 1/2 way rotate the case 180* and finish seating. Theory is if the die is off the 1/2 turn will average out. I think I read that in one of Jim Carmicheal's articles.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Consider getting a premium Forster micrometer seating die. These have worked real well for me and are less expensive and a bit more heavy duty than Redding.

ole 5 hole group
12-04-2015, 04:02 PM
I also go with the Wilson Chamber Seating Dies and an arbor press when I have to have Peace of Mind in accurate rifle cartridges BUT the Redding Competition die is a good as well, and I use that when I don't need that "Peace of Mind".

troyboy
12-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Best way to a perfect cartridge is new brass with quality projectiles and proper die set up.

williamwaco
12-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Something to try. Seat the bullet 1/2 way rotate the case 180* and finish seating. Theory is if the die is off the 1/2 turn will average out. I think I read that in one of Jim Carmicheal's articles.

Variation: seat it in three strokes turning a third each time. Operate the handle slow and easy. Pretend your finger is in there and you want to avoid smashing it!

Doc Highwall
12-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Here is a link about concentricity and reloading dies.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/tag/concentricity/

kbstenberg
12-04-2015, 06:55 PM
I have never checked any of my reloads to see how bad there runout is. I did watch 1 YOU tube video on how to check for it. In the video the photographer kept bumping the neck of the loaded round until he pronounced that now he had a perfect reload. Is that how you adjust a bullet that has been seated to get it straight? Kevin

Doc Highwall
12-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Prevention is better than cure, set the dies up correctly and be done with it. Why load 1000 rounds than check each one and straighten each one.

nekshot
12-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Thanks for replies, I am working off pawn shop loot. A Herters FL and seating die set and a Lyman 7x57\280 seating die. I have been doing the rotate cartridge trick but I want to shoot the Hornady 162 Amax bullet and they don't have much bearing on the neck seated out almost to rifling. I never imagined this type of accuracy that the gun is showing from all military parts (Ihave done a few in the past) so I want to get all out of it that I can, with me being the weak link in the whole set up!

nekshot
12-05-2015, 11:45 AM
I might have solved my problem with a set of Hornady 7-08 custom series dies that use a floating bushing to seat bullet. Out of curourcity I checked my brass and it is really close to perfect on my run out tool. My problem is getting those A-max bullets straight.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-05-2015, 12:04 PM
That Forster die I suggested will take care of that for you. Problem is likely the Lyman seater die.

Love Life
12-05-2015, 12:11 PM
In-line seater die.

EDG
12-05-2015, 01:06 PM
1. Herter's made some dies that were really way undersize and I have one of them. Guess what it is a 7X57 and it is so small it is nearly impossible to size a case with it. So try another FL die like a Redding, RCBS or Forster.

2. Use an inline or sleeve type seater. Redding, Forster/Bonanza, or Wilson

3. For accuracy in the long throat try 175 grn RN flat based bullets. I could never get BT or light bullets to shoot in my Ruger 77. Both the Ruger 77 and a mint 1895 Chilean Mauser shoot very small group with the old style RN bullets.

I know it is heresy but BT bullets just don't always work as good as they look.

Doc Highwall
12-05-2015, 05:35 PM
The stem in the seating die has to fit the bullet ogive or it will allow the bullet nose to wander off center, use some JB-Weld or hot melt glue to fit the nose/ogive of the bullet and most of your problems will go away.

Also too much neck tension during seating causes bullet run out.

Houndog
12-06-2015, 11:59 AM
For the best store bought consistancy it's Wilson dies and an arbor press and for the best accuracy in a press type die my vote goes to a Redding competition die set. Both dies have floating chambers and the sizing die uses sizing buttons (NO internal neck expander ball) Both dies use micrometer stems for adjustment. They are pricey but worth it if extreme accuracy is the game.