PDA

View Full Version : Enhance expansion in lead SWC-HP?

Naphtali
12-03-2015, 03:45 AM
I just bought a case of Remington +P 38 Special 158-grain Lead SWC-HP "FBI Load" to use in my snubnose 357 Magnum. While the bullet-cartridge has a very good track record of controlled expansion in four-inch 38 Special revolvers, in my two-inch 357, expansion might be substantially reduced. To restore expansion I'm thinking that I can use a sharp thin-bladed knife to deform the hollowed point with a cross perhaps .100 inch deep.

I am confident that the mutilation I am considering has been done to similar handgun and rifle bullets whose hardness is but slightly higher that lead's nominal BHN 5-6. Anyone who has tried such mutilation, or who knows results of this kind of creating four petals, please furnish incite based upon your experience.

FYI: SGAmmo is selling this Remington ammunition at 33¢ per round and just under $170 per case of 500.

bedbugbilly
12-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Personally, I wouldn't do it. That HP is going to do enough damage if need be. But since you have a case of it . . . just to satisfy your curiosity why don't you try your alteration and see if you really do get any more expansion.

I'm assuming you are using this in your snub for SD purposes. Personally, if it was me and I was involved in a shooting and had to surrender my weapon and any ammunition as evidence . . . I wouldn't want any remaining rounds that were "altered" to do "more damage". While the PA's office may rule the shooting "justified" . . . there would most certainly be a following "civil suit" by the perp or their family . . . after all, "he was such a good boy". The attorney would certainly bring in to evidence the fact that "altered ammunition" was used and place the "doubt" in the jury's mind as to "why". All it takes is one sympathetic juror who is "anti-gun" to sway a settlement that you will be paying for for the rest of your life. Just my humble opinion though and YMMV.

And . . . . even in your post . . . you use the word "mutilation" that you are considering. Yes, I'm sure it's been done but to use on game hunting and to use in your SD weapon are two different things . . . and I'm sure you won't be hunting with your snub.

scattershot
12-03-2015, 11:02 AM
One way to find out.... Personally, I would think that the cuts would cause the nose to break apart on impact.

GabbyM
12-03-2015, 11:41 AM
FBI load was designed to expand in snub nose revolvers which were the FBI carry gun. I seriously doubt you need to cut the HP to get them to mushroom. I would personally carry a 150 grain non expanding truncated cone flat nose. In my 4" K frames I carry a 177 grain SWC at 890 fps. Non +P load using H-Universal Clays. For the life of me I can't see the reasoning behind reducing penetration of a 38 snubbie. Other than for small varmints like coyote and coons. But it's a free country at times. So here it is.

You can find this technique written about several times in our forum pages.
Using a Torx bit which closely fits the HP bore diameter. Push the bit into the HP cavity to scribe flutes into the cavity. Thus providing a break line so your HP flares the way touted factory J bullets advertise to do but in general do not. You can also use a square bit if that turns out to fit your cavity better. Don't push them into bottom to hard or you may create a break point that will blow off the petals.

If your 357 revolver is like my Colt. It shoots 38's way slow off the velocity they yield in my 38's. That may just be my revolver as I've never researched it. Good for a light practice load in a snubbie though. Might be a real dog as a SD round. I'd run them over a chronograph. Then I'd use them for practice and carry a 357 hand load with aforementioned 150gr TC-FP at 900 fps. If you think that's "over penetration". Get a yard stick. Back yourself up against a wall and measure how thick your chest is front to back in a straight line.

paul h
12-03-2015, 01:33 PM
For the life of me I can't see the reasoning behind reducing penetration of a 38 snubbie.

My sentiments exactly, I'll take a nice big meplat and all the penetration you can get out of a 38 (which isn't a whole lot) over trying to get more expansion and less penetration.

376Steyr
12-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the mention of where you got it. I've been looking for some "FBI load" ammo for my snubbies for over a year now. My 2 cents: I leave my 38 factory loads alone. If they expand, great. If they don't, they are still bigger than a .22, a .25, or a .32.

Petrol & Powder
12-03-2015, 07:44 PM
When talking self-defense, the penetration of the round is the critical factor, expansion is just the icing on the cake.

Expansion can increase the effectiveness of the bullet but that expansion can also reduce the amount of penetration. Penetration is the primary goal and expansion is secondary.

Dale53
12-04-2015, 12:26 AM
Naphtali;
Before you alter the ammo, just get a few empty milk jugs, fill them with water, and shoot them. That should allay your suspicions. Fackler's tests showed your ammo to equal real world results with .45 hardball.

That's what I carry...

Dale53