PDA

View Full Version : RCBS universal hand priming tool.

websterz
12-02-2015, 11:06 PM
Just got it today from Midway. This tool is built to last, it just has that solid quality feel to it. I sat down with a bucket of 9mm brass, turned on a good movie (Riddick), loaded in three hundred S&B primers and got to work. First off, the primer tray on this thing is huge! I could have put another hundred small primers in it with a little room to spare. The handle gives the perfect amount of leverage while allowing a good feel for the primer depth. The spring loaded jaws that hold the cases beat the hell out of a standard shell holder! I tried .45acp and .40S&W cases, as well as the 9mm and all of them snapped in and out of the jaws easily. It took a few cases to get my rhythm down, but by the time the movie ended I had 5 empty primer trays, 499 primed cases ready to load, and one primer in upside down. Not sure what happened there. These cases have all been prepped on my Lyman prep center, primer pockets cleaned, uniformed, and chamfered. The primers all seated to full depth using only one hand on the lever. My old Lee Auto Prime often required both hands due to the shorter lever. I feel absolutely no hand fatigue which I always did with the old priming tool, and after only a couple hundred cases. So far I have to give RCBS five stars on this one. They built it right.

Lead Fred
12-02-2015, 11:29 PM
I got the Hornady one, Glad to see someone is happy with the RCBS one.

trails4u
12-03-2015, 12:03 AM
I have the RCBS as well....probably pushed 10,000 primers with it, in a bunch of different calibers..it's been flawless. I'd go 5 stars as well!

Wayne Smith
12-03-2015, 09:54 AM
Hah! Don't pick up a .32! Mine pops a 32 S&W three times out of five. Not that I'm complaining, any tool has it's limitations. I have the older one that takes shell holders and now use it for small primers.

websterz
12-03-2015, 03:20 PM
I only own one gun in .32 acp, a CZ-70. I don't reload for that one. :-)

GhostHawk
12-03-2015, 11:02 PM
I've had mine for almost 2 years now, has done everything from 7.62x25 to .444Marlin. It does not like my magtech .410 cases. But everything else is a dream.

As to the upside down one, have to watch tray as you load them in, sometimes one gets flipped.
I keep a spare lee depriming pin in a block of wood handy for tapping mistakes like that out.

I only wish I'd bought 2 so I wouldn't have to switch back and forth between large and small.

Gofaaast
12-04-2015, 01:37 AM
I now have two so I don't have to change over. Winchester small pistol primers have always given me fits. The safety gate wants to dig into them. They must have a little rougher surface than cci or federal primers. I have tried both tools with the same WIN SP primers with the same result. Smooth as silk with with any other priming I have done. It has better leverage than the regular version that takes shell holders.

websterz
12-04-2015, 04:37 PM
If I could change one thing it would be the concentric rings. I like Lee's system of raised bumps, I think it does a better job of flipping the primers over.

Sam Casey
12-19-2015, 10:24 PM
I am about to buy another RCBS priming tool to have one for large and one for small. Thinking I will stick with RCBS as mine has worked fine. Any better suggestions?

anotherred
12-19-2015, 11:35 PM
Sorry Sam, I think this is as good as it gets!