PDA

View Full Version : Opening Morning with old Marlin

richhodg66
12-02-2015, 07:24 PM
I had several rifles in the que, but the old .32 Winchester Special won the toss (actually, I thought it was gonna rain so I didn't want to take my .250 Savage 99). Weird morning, actually, warmest opening day I can remember. Saw no deer from my stand which is unusual, didn't even see squirrels. Weather was great, got bored about three hours into it and decided to get down and walk about. I'm a tree stand or ground blind guy, don't believe trying to walk one up is a good tactic, but where I hunt has a high ridhe line that slopes down to the lake shore and has several "fingers" that extend off of it. If you walk the ridge mid day, you often kick some up that are bedded down on the lee side of those fingers. That did in fact happen, but I didn't get a running deer. Later, one made a mistake of getting up and running and then stopping for a few seconds to look back. Offhand shot, maybe 60-70 yards. I don't practice that very much, not as much as I should, but shot placement was perfect, just behind the shoulder, deer went maybe 25 yards, of course, straight down the steep ridgeline.

Unfortunately, it was one of thos year's fawns. They are big enough now that if not standing in a group and/or very close, they look like adult does. Anyway, it was a good kill and I am impressed with the terminal performance of that NOE 325-180 FP. Larger entry and exit holes. I didn't recover the bullet, part of the landscape now.

petroid
12-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Like you said, they are hard to tell by themselves that they are yearlings. Once they lose their spots, it's game on. Good shooting and it should be quite tasty.

UBER7MM
12-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Bravo, Them "Yankee 8mms" sure do the trick....

richhodg66
12-02-2015, 08:00 PM
We have an extended antlerless season in January now. I enjoy it, even though I am very cold averse, but by the time it rolls around, nobody who isn't a serious hunter will be out on the public land I hunt, so I usually have it to myself. I normally try real hard to not shoot fawns until then. Had I been in my usual setting of a tree stand, I'd have probably been able to tell. This was almost snap shooting.

Deer get big in the midwest. Seems like even the fawns now are about as big as deer ever get in some parts of the country. I was wanting a big enough deer to get a considerable amount of jerky made to send my son who's afloat with the Marine Corps now, but it'll have to wait until the next one. Still have the rest of this season, Fort Riley's and the extended antlerless, plus I can still bow hunt, I think I'll get at least one more this year.

monge
12-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Nice shot great deer good eaten!

tdoyka
12-02-2015, 10:59 PM
congrats!!!!

brstevns
12-02-2015, 11:18 PM
Nice! Enjoy the venison!

trails4u
12-02-2015, 11:52 PM
Don't be ashamed...it was a good shot, a good clean kill, and they eat REALLY good at that size. Enjoy it!

Djones
12-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Awesome! I am glad you can use the 32WS in your state!

Thanks for sharing

Friends call me Pac
12-03-2015, 12:11 AM
Fine eating.

35 shooter
12-03-2015, 12:34 AM
Looks like you used the right hunting tactic for the day. Congrats!
I'm usually in a tree or ground blind here in the south just like you, but i always mix some still hunting in with it and have a lot of success with that style of hunting.

Wasalmonslayer
12-03-2015, 01:45 AM
Congrats on that tasty little treat.
That is going to be some good eating!!!

Huntsman
12-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Good job!! Congrats on getting some fine venison!!!

missionary5155
12-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Greetings and another Well done !
Standing and shooting off hand and connecting is a good achievement. Not much better eating than a young corn cruncher.
Mike in Peru