PDA

View Full Version : 777 for Flintlock

fabil12
12-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Here I am in NY State. Not a good place to buy blackpowder. So I'm reading that 777 works in a flintlock. Better if you add a little back to it and of course you need 4f black in the pan.
Maybe I could make a little black 4f just for that.
I've been wanting to try a flintlock and I'm working on the mechanicals.
Make any sense or just stay with percussion and dream on?

rodwha
12-02-2015, 06:33 PM
If you have your heart set on a flintlock by all means do so, but you'll need black powder for the pan and a starter charge of about 5-10 grains to set off the T7. And 3F will work in your pan just fine with some even using 2F.

*EDIT*

Are you saying you cannot buy any black there? Can it be shipped?

I used to buy nothing but 3F T7 but couldn't find it for months on end at BassPro so went online and found that I could order 3 lbs of T7 from Grafs and it would offset the HazMat fees. No more driving to be disappointed for me.

fabil12
12-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Maybe I'll just have to dig in a little more. Thruway sports a huge place in Walden NY says they require a expensive special vault in NY which discourages everybody.

rsrocket1
12-02-2015, 06:49 PM
New York State Law (https://labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/safetyhealth/sh39_12.shtm):
Vehicles carrying five pounds or less of black powder and carrying no other explosives shall be marked or placarded either on both sides or on both front and rear with circular signs or decals. Every such sign or decal shall have a minimum diameter of six inches and shall contain the letters "LOW-EX" in legible black letters at least one and one-quarter inches in height on a yellow background.

Can you imagine having to drive to the range with signs on your car like this?
...and I thought we were crazy out here in CA. Well, we are but for other reasons.

rodwha
12-02-2015, 06:53 PM
The regulations are tough. A special vault is needed and so many won't do it. But needing a placard on your vehicle is outlandish, though I don't usually have more than a pound going to the range (I order my powder).

In CA my understanding is that you aren't allowed to own more than a pound at a time. That wouldn't be finacially doable unless they had what I wanted around the corner. But then there's just too much I couldn't deal with and wouldn't live there. And I'm one who, strangely, stands in the middle, not far left or right. Seems a bit lonely here these days as its so divided at an extreme level.

fabil12
12-02-2015, 06:57 PM
I'm talking about the retailers who would sell the powder need the vault.
TOTW will ship case lots only to an individual. Maybe $500 worth plus shipping and hazmat.

mooman76
12-02-2015, 07:11 PM
Check around. Other places will ship BP of as little as 5# or less. You could get 4 of 3f and one of 4f or just 5# of 3f. 3F will work in the pan also. Try Powdervalley and if you look around you may be able to find someone else willing to share the shipment. I have discussed with some from Cali and the only 1# is a misunderstanding or misreading. They are allowed 5# per person. Family of 4 can have 20#.

Mytmousemalibu
12-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Grafs has a good selection of black. The real stuff!

rfd
12-02-2015, 08:31 PM
unless it's against nys law to receive mail order black powder, that'd be the way to go. i hate subs, all the subs i've ever trialled in my best flintlocks were just so inferior to any decent bp. i mail order bp over to jersey from mainepowderhouse, for bpcr and ml's. no shipping or hazmat fees if the order is 25#, and doing a group order is the way to go.

Hardcast416taylor
12-03-2015, 02:36 PM
A great deal of gunshops here in Michigan, including some quite large shops, won`t carry any black powder due to the special vault required in a removed spot from the store and the special training that ALL the store employees must take and pass an exam about.Robert

fouronesix
12-03-2015, 02:48 PM
No matter how many times this info gets posted it keeps coming back. Unless there is some legal restriction on you having BP wherever you live- it is very easy and economical to have it shipped to your door.

I would imagine that most every shop that carries guns, ammo or sporting equipment makes a decision on whether or not it is worth the hassle for them to carry BP or not even if carrying it is otherwise legal in their jurisdiction. As long as some ML shooters are happy with subs, the businesses are perfectly happy to carry only the subs and to sell it to them (and BTW, makes the gov happy too :) ).