PDA

View Full Version : Having a New Furance installed

brstevns
12-02-2015, 04:15 PM
Can use some prayers. Having to put in a New Furnace. Went down last week. Can use the prayers . Well shoot there went my Prairie dog hunting plans for late summer. Who said it is nice to be retired? LOL

tinhorn97062
12-02-2015, 09:51 PM
I'll pray for you, specifically that the install goes well and that the finances are in place to cover the cost. There's nothing too difficult for Jesus, and that includes guiding the installation of a furnace!

dk17hmr
12-02-2015, 09:56 PM
Just had a new one put in my three year old house, it was an easy check to write. Turns out the contractor who built several houses in the area bought all the furnaces at one time in bulk. Just so happens my house was the last one built and the furnace was likely out of warranty before we signed the papers.

brstevns
12-02-2015, 10:23 PM
Have to dig into the savings and give up on a few things, but all is well.

leeggen
12-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Just simple, keep warm this winter or go pdog hunting in spring??? Tell the wife to dress warm I'm going hunting. LOL Been in that position before, even had to sell a couple guns to help pay the bill but was worth it, didn't seem to take to long to recoupe the funds to get new guns either. Good luck.
CD

Freightman
12-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Here is a hint "Total Protect" a cheap policy takes care of everything in your house , appliances, plumbing heating and air, ceiling fans , electrical ect. I pay $39 a month and have collected $15,000 in the last three years. AIr , Heat, dish washer , clothes washer, hot water heater. ck. it out

GabbyM
12-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Just had a new one put in my three year old house, it was an easy check to write. Turns out the contractor who built several houses in the area bought all the furnaces at one time in bulk. Just so happens my house was the last one built and the furnace was likely out of warranty before we signed the papers.

Not sure of today but forty years ago when I was a carpenter. New homes in Illinois had a two year warranty that went back to the general contractor as a final payee. That was state law so you may check Wyoming to see if it's longer. We logged those as call backs. Generally squeaking floors and sticking doors. Caused from house settling initially which will stop.

NavyVet1959
12-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Hope you get a good contractor. The last one I had was so much of an idiot (and a crook) that I had to hire someone else to come and fix his "installation".

rancher5
12-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Have to dig into the savings and give up on a few things, but all is well.
Sorry brstevns if you make it to Colo, I'll give you a free Pdog hunt, So far were living with our 27 yr old furnace, tho we do rely on a pellet stove 90% of the time in last 15yrs,good luck,last one we put in an old farmhouse, was 2100 dollars included duct work, no zoning and all that BS ****, Good luck,not sure if God covers furnaces,

flyingmonkey35
12-03-2015, 12:21 PM
I will pray to the HVAC god. That your installer is great, timely and clean.

LaPoint
12-03-2015, 12:22 PM
I had to have one put in the first week of Jan. '14. It was -20 and the wind was howling. Normally I would've done it myself (It would've taken several days) but I wasn't allowed to tackle it myself. That was a $2000.00 bill for a furnace I could've bought & installed for about half of that. Oh well....

brstevns
12-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Thanks everyone. Keeping my fingers crossed for that Prairie Dog Hunt, have to take it one day at a time.

brstevns
12-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Sorry brstevns if you make it to Colo, I'll give you a free Pdog hunt, So far were living with our 27 yr old furnace, tho we do rely on a pellet stove 90% of the time in last 15yrs,good luck,last one we put in an old farmhouse, was 2100 dollars included duct work, no zoning and all that BS ****, Good luck,not sure if God covers furnaces,
Looks like 3000.00 or over, by the time it is installed. Puts any hunting plans into late summer. My cousin and I are praying for the best.

CastingFool
12-03-2015, 05:54 PM
I was faced with the same situation about 6 yrs ago. I was receiving unemployment, and the furnace died just before Christmas, but the good Lord had made it possible for us to have available resources, and I was (still am) thankful. Still, it was hard to shell out $4k just before Christmas.

brstevns
12-03-2015, 06:11 PM
I was faced with the same situation about 6 yrs ago. I was receiving unemployment, and the furnace died just before Christmas, but the good Lord had made it possible for us to have available resources, and I was (still am) thankful. Still, it was hard to shell out $4k just before Christmas.Same here. the price quoted was without any duct work. Have a funny feeling that is coming. I took over my Fathers house. He and some of his old buddies had a way, for better words ( Mickey Mouse) a lot of things. When things start falling apart I am finding this out. Sure makes living on a small SS income tricky at times. LOL Makes one wonders how others coup! Hey, I am thankful for what I have and friends like these on Castboolets to tell my troubles to. There is always someone worse off.

rancher5
12-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Looks like 3000.00 or over, by the time it is installed. Puts any hunting plans into late summer. My cousin and I are praying for the best.
In today's dollars that might not be a bad price, it would be your call for duct work,crawl space or, what,check it out,you'll know

dragon813gt
12-03-2015, 10:32 PM
Typically you will get a new plenum and return drop w/ a furnace replacement. Anything else will be an additional cost and should have been discussed up front. This is what I do for a living. Depending on the size, fuel, and brand you are getting it cheap at $3k. We do very little under $5k but it's higher end equipment and proper ductwork.

Sorry to hear about the failure. No one wants to write that check. But look at it this way. If you equate it to an automobile you get millions of miles out of a furnace. A lot better investment than a vehicle :)

rancher1913
12-04-2015, 12:11 AM
have you had a "second" opinion, unless the heat exchanger is cracked any furnace can be repaired, but the repair guys make more money off of selling and installing a new furnace so its not in their best interest to fix anything. I have a furnace in the bunk house that was installed in the 50's and I've replaced most every part on it but it just keeps going, I inspect the exchanger every year and oil it. fixed my in-laws furnace that they were going to replace because they were told you could not get parts for it by a service company, got the info off the furnace and had the parts shipped from c.d. jones and its working fine.

brstevns
12-04-2015, 09:50 AM
have you had a "second" opinion, unless the heat exchanger is cracked any furnace can be repaired, but the repair guys make more money off of selling and installing a new furnace so its not in their best interest to fix anything. I have a furnace in the bunk house that was installed in the 50's and I've replaced most every part on it but it just keeps going, I inspect the exchanger every year and oil it. fixed my in-laws furnace that they were going to replace because they were told you could not get parts for it by a service company, got the info off the furnace and had the parts shipped from c.d. jones and its working fine. Had my nephew look at it, type of work he does. Trust him,said it was time too many things bad this time. That bunk house dog hunt sounding better all the time. LOL

brstevns
12-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Furnace is in Money is out and Christmas is coming!