PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with illness: newgunitis

jkl1861
12-02-2015, 02:39 PM
I'm curious. How do you guys deal with this debilitating disease? New Gun-itis?

My good friend recently helped me curb my impulse buys. He told me to make a wish list of guns. If it ain't on the list, don't buy it.

I started keeping my list on my phone for easy access. I also found it's very possible to edit that list while waiting for the 4473 to clear....

Mica_Hiebert
12-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Got 6 guns in my cabnet I havent shot yet! Keep trying to remind myself I have more guns than time any more!

Whiterabbit
12-02-2015, 03:14 PM
I know this is a tongue in cheek thread, but I do get this and I do have a good solution.

Sleep on it. If you miss the gun because of ONE day, chances are you will see another. Nothing is one-of-a-kind. If you wake up the next day and it doesn't seem like the need there was before, keep sleeping on it. Maybe you buy, maybe you don't, but you are more likely to get a deal, or just conclude you really really do not need that gun.

And after a few days if you still feel newgunitis, then you know that you need to start planning for the acquisition.

Or just buy the durn gun. I can't afford that method though. Either financially or matrimonially. waiting a day works wonders. It also ensures the guns I have, I really did in fact, want.

historicfirearms
12-02-2015, 03:25 PM
If it catches your eye and you can afford it, go ahead and buy it if it's a fair deal. You can always sell it later if you decide you really don't need it. But if you drag your feet and someone else buys it, you will probably regret it and buy another similar gun anyway.

Whiterabbit
12-02-2015, 03:32 PM
sell at a loss. No-one values what you value as much as you value it.

Try and sell an upgraded Vaquero for $700. Flies out of your safe for $450.

pergoman
12-02-2015, 03:37 PM
If the price is right for the condition and I know I won't take a beating on it when the time comes to sell it, it usually follows me home. I enjoy "shooting the mystery" out of new acquisitions. I learn some new stuff and relearn some stuff I should not have forgotten. Sometimes I keep the new one and get rid of one that is no longer the best piece for the particular task. I am an opportunistic up-grader.

Mica_Hiebert
12-02-2015, 04:08 PM
My crummy luck is the guns I never intend on selling are worth double what i paid for them, the guns i have buyers remorse over, well, some of them i cant even sell at a loss.

Blackwater
12-02-2015, 04:09 PM
There are some addictions that it's best to just give into. Newgunitis is one of these, provided it doesn't deplete the piggy bank TOO much, of course. As far as making or losing money on trades/sales goes, it's just part and parcel of the process, and sometimes you win (rarely) but most times you lose (99% of the time). Cryin' over spilt milk doesn't change anything, so I quit it a long time ago. If I'm dealing with a really good guy who might reciprocate one day, I'll make them a better deal than I will most folks, and of course, close friends get the good buddy deals, provided they're likely to reciprocate. It's all a cost, and the only thing that varies is the amount, but other things are going on in gun trades, too. I just made a swap with a guy and gave him a really good deal simply because I thought the gun I traded him needed his kind of TLC and appreciation for its fine work. He's happy, I'm happy, and the gun is being used by someone who is actually benefiting from its capabilities. It really doesn't get better than that. It's never been a money maker unless you're in the business, and even then it's difficult, usually.

Guns will last several lifetimes with decent care. Therefore, it's long seemed to me that the really good ones are items we're mainly the caretakers for, and we need to ensure they go to someone who'll use them as intended for the purpose they were designed to achieve. Closet queens are like fine steaks one doesn't have the heart to cook. Just MHO, of course, but some guns really are "special," and we need to treat them as such and try to make sure whoever gets them knows and understands what they are and will use them, and care for them properly. They're not alive, but the craftsmen who put them together are, and they deserve to know that at least some of their work is still appreciated, rather than just being an item for coarse people to make a buck off of. It's the human part that matters.

Love Life
12-02-2015, 04:14 PM
How do you cure new gun-itis? Buy the gun of course. Eventually you'll be to broke to buy anymore...CURED!!!

Kraschenbirn
12-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Help!! First, in the last couple days, I've run across two NIB Ruger revolvers at reasonable prices and then Buckshot listed an M88 Commission Rifle here and I've already got one 'winter project' Rolling Block in the safe that I haven't even taken apart. What am I supposed to do?

Bill

labradigger1
12-02-2015, 08:17 PM
Soooo, whats the problem w/ gunitis? I don't see the problem. Is recognizing it the first step in getting better?

funnyjim014
12-02-2015, 08:43 PM
Step 1:tell yourself it's a investment ( PRICES NEVER GO DOWN).Step 2: Know what your buying and going rate for item. Step 3 : NEVER pay full price. Step 4: leave house with empty gun case and come back with a full one, misses will never know lol

xs11jack
12-02-2015, 09:19 PM
To calm down and think rationally, remember this: the deal of a lifetime comes around about once every two weeks.
Ole Jack

wv109323
12-02-2015, 10:55 PM
No known cure. Over flowing gun safes seem to put it in somewhat remission but there is no cure at this time.

rr2241tx
12-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Newgunitis is somewhat like arthritis. At first it may be enough to just spend time choosing the one or two that you will acquire on special occasions like your birthday, Christmas, ...Saturday, but eventually you will develop "tolerance" to the palliative regimen. This is a really dangerous time if you happen to be married, seasonally employed, on a fixed income, etc., because you will find that you need a new gun practically every day. Buying military surplus guns during this phase can lessen the pain somewhat as they tend to be less expensive in the more utilitarian grades and cosmoline fumes appear to mitigate the symptoms much like a slow release capsule. Cosmoline conservation as you clean the new arrivals may help you savor the arrival of a new Brazilian Mauser for a second day. Warning here: women appear to more or less universally react poorly to applications of cosmoline, the effect is somewhat similar to getting the wipe-on testosterone stuff on her, so if you must have cosmoline to "feel in the mood" put it inside your nose, not ON HER. Otherwise a lawyer will relieve you of half your net worth in short order. In the end stage, disease symptoms will invariably progress to the point that glossy sales catalogs for the various high dollar auction houses begin to cause your mailman arthritis. It is at this stage that Newgunitis exerts its full destructive potential. By now you will have become acclimated to sending large amounts of money to strangers to purchase firearms totally unseen and Julia et al., are more than happy to accept credit card charges and no matter how mind-numbingly over-sold the one-of-a-kind, engraved, lettered object of your desire might have been, there will be 50% additional fees attached before it comes to you. End stage acquisitions, of course, will not be fired for fear of reducing their resale value but if you should decide to sell one, you will quickly realize that it depreciated 99.99 and 44/100ths % the instant your American Express card accepted the charge and you might as well have been taking it bear hunting in the rain all along. It is this soul-crushing realization of truth that is the proximate cause of death in most cases.

And, as always, POST PICTURES! We need pictures.

Silvercreek Farmer
12-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Had a real bad case several years ago, there were a couple days that I brought them home two at at time. Quickly realized that there was not enough time in the day to shoot them all, let alone cast and reload for them all. Decided to use the cash instead to build up investment income so I didn't have to work so much and could have more time to shoot! Haven't bought one since. I've actually come to appreciate my less than perfect collection more now that it is "frozen". I did give myself permission to replace a (very used when I got it) 357 Taurus but only when I wore it out. I'm 2-3000 rounds in and she is only showing the slightest hint of end shake...

gray wolf
12-03-2015, 09:54 PM
https://s17-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth% 3Fid%3DOIP.Mab7ee3f01ff6afbca5a9da962827ba01o0%26p id%3D15.1%26H%3D106%26W%3D160&sp=5388caa7f96cc1ca036ad92fe2db9288Sig P320 compact in 45 ACP

Frank46
12-04-2015, 12:41 AM
New gunitius, like that one. Dale53 once posted his 6.5" bbls 624 in 44 special. Loved how it looked then forgot about it because I've never seen one at local shows. Was at one and just leaving when I spotted one and you know the rest of the story. But wait, there's more. Found both a 3" and 4" 24-3 in 44 special at later shows. Sometimes they sneak up on you and you hear the siren's call Take me home,take me home. Frank

chuckbuster
12-04-2015, 06:04 AM
Buy two Rugers and call me in the morning,,,,
Dr. Rugwinremlin

Petrol & Powder
12-04-2015, 09:13 AM
I know this thread is in jest but it's still a worthy topic.

Step one: Establish EXACTLY what you want. Make that selection very narrow and make it well in advance of your purchase. Do not say to yourself, "I want a revolver" but rather determine exactly what you what; for example: I want a S&W model 10, 4" barrel, no newer than a dash 8".
Step Two: establish your absolute top dollar for a perfect example and only pay that amount for a perfect example.
Step Three: Accumulate the needed cash and set it aside.
Step Four: If you find a gun on your list and it is within your price range, BUY IT.

bedbugbilly
12-04-2015, 10:08 AM
I think we all suffer with the disease . . .

I collected long guns for something like close to 50 years. Then, after my wife retired and I retired, a new "chapter" opened up as far as what we wanted to do so I liquidated my long gun collection. Hard to do but it was time for someone else to enjoy them. But, I made the mistake of buying a 1910 Colt Army Special and things went "down hill" form there. I like vintage 38s and I love each one I have but when the "itch" hits me to get another . . I tell myself that I don't shoot the ones I have enough. I enjoy the reloading and casting just as much as the shooting and there were/are several other calibers I want to try. So for me . . . I follow Whiterabbit's advice and make a "wish list". Will I get through the list before I die? Probably not but now I have started to limit myself to one gun in one caliber (other than 38s :-) ) - if I can. LOL I've even gone to trading some off to get something new and so far, have had no real regrets.

In the end though . . . there is NO cure! LOL

William Yanda
12-04-2015, 11:21 AM
There is no known cure. Treatment consists of palliative support, acquiring gun specific accessories, from gun cases to ammunition, ammunition components, and additional equipment. Some would include shooting rests and spotting scopes although others may argue that these are universal in application rather than specific. Gun club affiliations would be considered in the same manner. Support groups may be helpful, although care must be taken to avoid those who are more enablers than.......

bullet maker 57
12-04-2015, 11:45 AM
I hate to suffer, I just buy what ever catches my eye. Within reason of course.

GOPHER SLAYER
12-04-2015, 04:33 PM
Having suffered from this condition for many decades, I feel I must comment. I bought guns many years ago that our worth many times what I paid for them. Unfortunately I sold most of them. For example, a Sharps Borchardt in excellent condition, made for South Carolina National Guard. I bought it for $125, sold for about the same. A Simson Luger bought for $42 and traded for, I am too ashamed to say. I still have a nice Colt SA in 32-20 bought for $90. I have a Colt Diamondback with four inch barrel and a Colt Agent, both in excellent condition but I am reluctant to shoot them for fear that they will decrease in value. What I am trying to say is, all is not bad with this affliction. The idea is to make wise choices in your purchases. Now is the point where I step in it. My advise is, do not buy a gun made of polymers, aluminum or carbon fibers if you want them to increase in value. Do not confuse your need with an investment. If you want a reliable firearm for protection, then buy what works but don't expect it to go up in value. I just cannot see a time in the future where this type of firearm will be displayed in museums as fine examples of the gun makers art. These are my opinions but if you want to collect Glocks, SIG or Heckler & Crotch by all means buy away.

David2011
12-04-2015, 05:57 PM
So, before I finished reading the OP, I'm thinking, "If I make a list I can edit the list."

OTOH, there was a revolver I had and sold and had regretted selling it for years. It was a Ruger Single Six Convertible Bicentennial model, 4-5/8" barrel. I looked for another for years. I came to accept that it would cost far more to replace it than the original cost me or I sold it for. One day I walked into the LGS and the exact correct gun down to the "Made in the 200th year of American Liberty" stamp and the barrel length was in the counter. We briefly discussed price, the dealer gave in a little and it went home with me. I have never regretted paying three times what I sold the first one for. That little revolver is, to me, one of the finest of Ruger's creations. Sometimes you just have to be prepared to follow through even if it hurts a little at first.

David

Bonz
12-04-2015, 06:07 PM
I know the cure. Clean all your guns, one right after the other until they are all cleaned. Well, it almost worked for me ;-)

tdoor4570
12-04-2015, 06:08 PM
I'm curious. How do you guys deal with this debilitating disease? New Gun-itis?

My good friend recently helped me curb my impulse buys. He told me to make a wish list of guns. If it ain't on the list, don't buy it.

I started keeping my list on my phone for easy access. I also found it's very possible to edit that list while waiting for the 4473 to clear....

I have the cure take two asprin ship me the gun and you will be better in the morning yuk yuk

Wolfer
12-04-2015, 07:25 PM
I never seem to really want anything that's available.
Many years ago I wanted a 223. I had a pretty good sized bag of pocket change saved up. When I cashed it in it paid for the rifle.
I immediately started saving my change again and when I got enough to buy a gun I did. There have been a good many since bought the same way.
I have a long time to think about what I really want while my change pile is growing.

The little woman says I cheat. When paying for something and it comes to $xx.05 and they ask if I have a nickel I just say no.

This is works for me. YMMV

sniper
12-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Seek help IMMEDIATELY!!! :mrgreen:

osteodoc08
12-05-2015, 01:23 PM
I agree with the sleep on it method. Especially if it is a new current production model.

I'm in the middle of an attack of newgunitis. I've curbed it somewhat by purchasing components and other items gun related.

My newest aquisitions include a Kimber Gold Match series 1 for $7xx, put a new colt on layaway at my LGS. It is a LW Commander and had very good slide to frame fit and a thumb safety that worked corectly unlike the other examples I've messed with. A S&W M&P 45 with threaded barrel and 10 factory mags. The last was a 1950 vintage Winny 94 in 32 WS. I can sell the Kimber for at least what I have in it as well as the M&P. I'd lose on the Colt if I had to sell it, but with how things are going for them, figured I should pick one up. The Winny, well, I have a soft spot for pre-64 Winnys.

I've been debating selling some of my other autos and conslidating to 1-2 semi auto calibers. I have autos in 9, 40, 10, 45, 357 Sig. I'll probably keep my 10mm around as its my woods gun, but I dont think I'd miss my 9, 40, 357 Sigs. Variety is the spice of life though, correct?