PDA

View Full Version : Lube recommendations

Steve77
12-02-2015, 12:47 PM
I currently am casting for 9mm, 380, 41mag, and 44mag for handguns. Everything from plinking to hunting. I did some casting for 300blk and plan to start casting for 30-30 and maybe 30-06. I live in Michigan and shoot year around.

I have used several different white label lubes, and all have been adequate for my pistol loads.

I would like to start making lube from someone's recipe. There are so many recipes it is hard to know which ones would work best for my needs. I figured those with some experience could point me in the right direction. I have been reading for days from the Boolit Lube section, but haven't found answers and comparisons for my specific circumstances.

I would like to have one or two formulas to cover all of my needs. This would make life easier by being able to keep one or 2 lubesizers each set up for one type of lube. I don't like cleaning out a sizer to switch lubes and I can't afford many lubesizers.

So if you needed a lube or 2 that covered most pistol and rifle applications from 380 to 30-06, summer and winter, what would your top choice be? I am hoping for something that doesn't require a heater to lubesize. I am leaning towards simple recipes with few ingredients.

Ben's red looks good but I'm not sure if it is a good cold weather lube? Satan's 11 or 666-1 looks like it might be a good cold weather lube. Felix lube seems to be well liked also, how does it do in cold weather?

If you have links to other posts that have useful info please link those as well as post number if you can if they are long threads.

randyrat
12-02-2015, 01:30 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?168373-simple-lube

Let your lube age a few days before you do any adjustments for hardness for your climate. This lube is easy and it works

bangerjim
12-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Since you are looking around for lube ideas, consider reading the alternate coatings section - powder coating. Very popular. Works great.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-02-2015, 01:54 PM
SL68B
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?288713-SL68B-the-quot-all-around-quot-boolit-lube-and-how-to-make-it

Steve77
12-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Since you are looking around for lube ideas, consider reading the alternate coatings section - powder coating. Very popular. Works great.
I thought a bit about PC and PP. I prefer something low tech and prefer something that once it is set up requires no electricity, just in case there is ever a need to live more primitively. I can find a good lube and stock up on it and be pretty self sufficient.

williamwaco
12-02-2015, 04:02 PM
I used to be a big fan of LLA but I am a recent convert to BLL.

All the advantages of LLA with none of the disadvantages, very easy to make, dries quick, and you don't have to cook it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259285-NEW-!-!-T-L-Liquid-Lube&highlight=johnson

bangerjim
12-02-2015, 04:36 PM
I thought a bit about PC and PP. I prefer something low tech and prefer something that once it is set up requires no electricity, just in case there is ever a need to live more primitively. I can find a good lube and stock up on it and be pretty self sufficient.

I sorta see your point, but if you are really "prepping", you had better have 30 or 40 pounds of pistol powder and 20=30K of primers stored away! That will be extremely critical.

Or as many do, load and squirrel away 20-40K rounds! For a "rainy" day. PC lasts forever and does not get stick or dirty when stored.

banger

Steve77
12-02-2015, 05:37 PM
I sorta see your point, but if you are really "prepping", you had better have 30 or 40 pounds of pistol powder and 20=30K of primers stored away! That will be extremely critical.

Or as many do, load and squirrel away 20-40K rounds! For a "rainy" day. PC lasts forever and does not get stick or dirty when stored.

banger
I have pretty substantial amounts of reloading supplies on hand. I even have a sizable quantity of jacketed bullets. But I am trying to transition more of my supplies toward cast. If I have 5000 30cal bullets, I can melt some of them and turn them into 44 or round ball projectiles etc., if I find less use for 30cal. It just seems simpler to keep the most versatile supplies reasonably possible. This reduces the need for redundancy with non versatile stuff.

Yodogsandman
12-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Check out Bens Liquid Lube (BLL). It's a DIY tumble lube and can be used on both rifle and pistol boolets. Just two ingredients, Lee Liquid Alox (60%) and Johnsons Liquid Floor Wax (40%) mixed together. In 2 hours, it will dry non-sticky with no mess or fuss. Just add a few drops to your boolits in a plastic tub or zip lock bag and agitate them around for coverage. Place coated boolits on a piece of wax paper or other non-stick surface to dry for two hours. I've used 3 coats BLL to about 2500 FPS in my 7.62 NATO and had great accuracy with no leading. Just one coat is needed for pistol or lower velocity rifle boolits. BLL RULES!

Hardcast416taylor
12-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Another simple formula for a lube is `Saeco Green`. It is equal parts beeswax with candle wax plus some STP and some vasoline and a green crayon for color. I can`t find the exact formula now, but somebody else on this thread will have it. Where abouts are you located near Lansing or Ann Arbor?Robert

GhostHawk
12-03-2015, 11:05 PM
One more for Ben's Liquid Lube. It goes on every boolit I cast, rifle or pistol.

If I am aiming for over 2,000 fps I may put some Ben's red in the grooves first.

Too many pro's, no con's here yet. Easy to make, easy to use, fast to dry once you learn how little to use.
It just plain works.

therealhitman
12-04-2015, 12:28 AM
...or as many do, load and squirrel away 20-40K rounds! For a "rainy" day.

Jim always makes sense! I load three times what I shoot and do that squirrel thang. I am prepping for "the big one" or "SHTF" to an extent, but hopefully just for that point when my body will no longer let me pull that handle and hold up those molds for hours at a time.

Steve77
12-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Another simple formula for a lube is `Saeco Green`. It is equal parts beeswax with candle wax plus some STP and some vasoline and a green crayon for color. I can`t find the exact formula now, but somebody else on this thread will have it. Where abouts are you located near Lansing or Ann Arbor?Robert
I'm in Lakeview, about 45 minutes north of Grand Rapids. I can't recall for certain, but isn't Saeco Green sticky? Seems like I read that somewhere, but I might be mistaken. I read about 40 different recipes and descriptions.

Steve77
12-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Well, a kind member here is selling me a Lubrisizer and some Ben's red. I will try that and see what methinks. That works out nicely, I was leaning towards ben's red anyhow. That leaves me one other sizer to pick a lube for:bigsmyl2:.
I like what I've read about SL68B. And also Simple Green looks good too. Maybe I'm overthinking it, how much difference is there really between any 3 or 4 "good" lubes? I know that is kinda subjective, but will a simpleton like me notice much difference between SL68b, Simple Green and Ben's?

Desertbuck
12-04-2015, 11:17 AM
The simplest formula in my opinion is lithi-bee. It works with rifle loads up to 2100 fps as well as pistol loads. I've been using it for about 4 years now in 30/06, 45acp, 45 colt, 7.62X54, 7.92X57, 38 special.

However you can't go wrong with Bens red or Speed Green

gwpercle
12-04-2015, 06:52 PM
This lube is easy to make and works well. I started using it in the 1970's , have tried all manner of new and improved lubes but keep coming back to it. Basic lithium grease and beeswax . Recipe from the maker, Garth Choate , That I bought it from.
3 parts beeswax
1 part Lucas Red-N-Tacky lithium grease ( I'm sure any good lithium grease would work, I just like the red color of R-N-T)
Stiffen it with paraffin or carnauba wax if too soft.
Gary

Tailhunter
12-07-2015, 09:56 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?168373-simple-lube

Let your lube age a few days before you do any adjustments for hardness for your climate. This lube is easy and it works

This stuff works really well.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Well, a kind member here is selling me a Lubrisizer and some Ben's red. I will try that and see what methinks. That works out nicely, I was leaning towards ben's red anyhow. That leaves me one other sizer to pick a lube for:bigsmyl2:.
I like what I've read about SL68B. And also Simple Green looks good too. Maybe I'm overthinking it, how much difference is there really between any 3 or 4 "good" lubes? I know that is kinda subjective, but will a simpleton like me notice much difference between SL68b, Simple Green and Ben's?
Most all lubes have a weakness or two. So you may or may not notice the weakness if your application doesn't cross that condition. Some lubes are better for High Velocity and are problematic at lower velocities...or vice-versa. Some will throw a cold barrel flier. Also the weather you shoot in has a lot to due with potential lube failure. Do you shoot/hunt in extreme cold ? or shoot in extreme heat ? I can't and won't speak to what or where the problem areas are of other lubes, but SL68B is one of the results of a quest to find a lube that will do it all.

I think the one major Achilles heel of most good, well known lubes that contain a large portion of beeswax and have a low melt temp, that could effect any of us, is if your loaded ammo happens to be in a locked/closed up hot car on a sunny day, temps can get over 160ºF and the lube can melt or separate, so the oils in the lube could contaminate the powder. If you find a lube you like, it's a simple enough test to see how it reacts to the hot car syndrome...a daub of lube on a paper towel placed on the dash of your hot car.

Steve77
12-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Most all lubes have a weakness or two. So you may or may not notice the weakness if your application doesn't cross that condition. Some lubes are better for High Velocity and are problematic at lower velocities...or vice-versa. Some will throw a cold barrel flier. Also the weather you shoot in has a lot to due with potential lube failure. Do you shoot/hunt in extreme cold ? or shoot in extreme heat ? I can't and won't speak to what or where the problem areas are of other lubes, but SL68B is one of the results of a quest to find a lube that will do it all.

I think the one major Achilles heel of most good, well known lubes that contain a large portion of beeswax and have a low melt temp, that could effect any of us, is if your loaded ammo happens to be in a locked/closed up hot car on a sunny day, temps can get over 160ºF and the lube can melt or separate, so the oils in the lube could contaminate the powder. If you find a lube you like, it's a simple enough test to see how it reacts to the hot car syndrome...a daub of lube on a paper towel placed on the dash of your hot car.
Thanks for that reply. That answers a lot of my questions.

dverna
12-08-2015, 11:03 AM
JonB makes a lot of sense.

Some other points to consider. Unless you have some "need" to hunt with a cast bullet the "first shot out of group" is a red herring and not worth the effort that has been expended. If that is the case, you may find that something like Ben's Red will do the trick for HV rifle loads and something cheap and easy like BLL will cover pistol and low velocity rifle loads. BLL can also be used over Ben's Red and other conventional lubes if you wish to reduce the "tackiness" of the lube.

We all have different "needs". So one size does not fit all. I use cast bullets to produce relatively inexpensive ammunition for target and training purposes. I am too lazy to invest the time and resources to produce a cast bullet that will equal the performance of a jacketed bullet for hunting or self defence. But that is me.

Others here see casting and lubes as a hobby unto itself. Some of them can get pretty emotional about their hobby. And that is a good thing because these are the people who are pushing the envelope and advancing the technology, or art, of casting/lubes. Without them, we would still be using 50/50 - which, by the way, is not a bad place to be for most of our needs anyway - LOL.

Don

Steve77
12-10-2015, 02:19 PM
JonB makes a lot of sense.

Some other points to consider. Unless you have some "need" to hunt with a cast bullet the "first shot out of group" is a red herring and not worth the effort that has been expended. If that is the case, you may find that something like Ben's Red will do the trick for HV rifle loads and something cheap and easy like BLL will cover pistol and low velocity rifle loads. BLL can also be used over Ben's Red and other conventional lubes if you wish to reduce the "tackiness" of the lube.

We all have different "needs". So one size does not fit all. I use cast bullets to produce relatively inexpensive ammunition for target and training purposes. I am too lazy to invest the time and resources to produce a cast bullet that will equal the performance of a jacketed bullet for hunting or self defence. But that is me.

Others here see casting and lubes as a hobby unto itself. Some of them can get pretty emotional about their hobby. And that is a good thing because these are the people who are pushing the envelope and advancing the technology, or art, of casting/lubes. Without them, we would still be using 50/50 - which, by the way, is not a bad place to be for most of our needs anyway - LOL.

Don
I like making useful things. That is a big part of my casting and reloading. I also tie flies for fishing, build my own arrows, have made knives and scores of other projects to aid and abet my sporting hobbies. Hard to beat the satisfaction of putting food on the table using some hard earned skills instead of a pile of storebought gear. If I can reasonably make something, I make it. But I lack ingenuity and recognize that I can produce a better product faster by not re-engineering the wheel. I love forums for that reason. You guys have a huge amount of collective knowledge that I couldn't accumulate in a dozen lifetimes.