PDA

View Full Version : ideal 456-122

hiram
04-14-2008, 09:18 PM
I received a 456-122 mould today. I'll be making the hp pin for it. The mould has a screw on the bottom. What is the screw for? The pins, from what I have seen, slides in a sleeve and is held tight with a set screw. This is my first hp mould.

garandsrus
04-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Hiram,

Check the archives here for "hollow point" and you will see pictures of the pin set up. The screw on the bottom holds the pin in the mold via a stepped washer like piece with a flat milled into it. You put the pin in and then turn the piece so that it engages the washer. It will make a lot more sense when you see a picture!

John

beagle
04-14-2008, 10:33 PM
The pin assembly has either an E clip (in the case of newer moulds) or a pin in older moulds on the side of the shank. These fit under the screw head and insured that the pin was fully seated during casting. Then a half or 3/4 turn and you removed the pin and opened the mould.

I prefer the pins but they're a bit harder to do.

Make the place on the shaft that corresponds to the space under the screw head with the pin fully seated. Drill and tap for a 4-40 screw. Take a dremel tool and cut off the screw to the length where it fits snugly under the screw head and you're ready to cast./beagle