PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Report

Win94ae
12-02-2015, 12:24 PM
I made a video of the particulars of my doe kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPsVxcEuUzU

I am using the Lee C429-240-SWC in the Marlin 1894S 44mag, 1750fps, kinda hard cast alloy.

I was spooking deer for 2 days and could not get a high probability shot, so I figured I would take this 200 yard spine shot. ...and it worked wonderfully!

It was getting dark and I wanted to see if there were some deer around the corner, but when I started walking I realized I spooked 3 deer about 100 yards away.
I kept calling to get then to stop, but they weren't having it.
Then the last doe stopped about 200 yards away; I took careful aim, squeezed the trigger, click! Safety's on! When I disengaged the safety she was still looking at me, so I took the shot and the crash of the bullet hitting all that bone was music to my ears.
I ran-up on her in case I gut shot her, I wanted to stop the heart quickly, (and I don't care for suffering deer,) and stabbed her brain. Doe in the pot!

That is a hard hitting rifle and bullet.

Now I need to get a buck, I've only seen one this season.

white eagle
12-02-2015, 01:30 PM
Nice going
that is one heck of a shot
its a good feeling having a supply of meat in the freezer
stabbed her in the brain/with a knife?
I had to do that once (something similar)it aint a glory job but works
congrats on the deer good luck on the buck

Win94ae
12-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Nice going
that is one heck of a shot
its a good feeling having a supply of meat in the freezer
stabbed her in the brain/with a knife?
I had to do that once (something similar)it aint a glory job but works
congrats on the deer good luck on the buck

Thank you!

Yes, my Buck Pathfinder; great knife, I have used it for over 30 years.

swheeler
12-02-2015, 02:19 PM
Excellent! I too carry a buck of one sort or the other, I broke the blade on a 119 splitting a cow elk brisket, Buck gave me a new knife, excellent customer service. I have a 110 folder, 2-119 and a 103 that has been with me 30+ years now, blade is about down to a toothpick.

Win94ae
12-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Excellent! I too carry a buck of one sort or the other, I broke the blade on a 119 splitting a cow elk brisket, Buck gave me a new knife, excellent customer service. I have a 110 folder, 2-119 and a 103 that has been with me 30+ years now, blade is about down to a toothpick.

Indeed! The year before last, I had forgotten my Pathfinder and had to preform the Coup de gras with the marlin spike of my Buck Yachtsman, (my EDC.) I like Bucks!

Silvercreek Farmer
12-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Good work! Bone indeed, I think that is the first 44 cast boolit I have ever seen that wasn't a full pass through on a deer. My Buck Pathfinder was my first sheath knife, now my son uses it to help me skin. I've watched a lot of your videos on youtube, but never put 2 & 2 together that you were a forum member! From your videos I'm sure you practiced at longer ranges with the 44, how much drop do you get with that load at 200 yards?

Win94ae
12-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Good work! Bone indeed, I think that is the first 44 cast boolit I have ever seen that wasn't a full pass through on a deer. My Buck Pathfinder was my first sheath knife, now my son uses it to help me skin. I've watched a lot of your videos on youtube, but never put 2 & 2 together that you were a forum member! From your videos I'm sure you practiced at longer ranges with the 44, how much drop do you get with that load at 200 yards?

I get 10 inches of drop at 200 yards with the 100 yard zero. With my mil-dot site, my POA was just below the first mil-dot down.
I have practiced at up to 250 yards with good results. If there was any wind, I would not have taken the shot; but it being cloudy all day, and the shot taken after sunset, it was calm as could be.

Thank you!

tdoyka
12-03-2015, 11:05 PM
congrats!!!!

Win94ae
12-04-2015, 07:33 AM
congrats!!!!

Thank you!